Paint.NET with plugins freezes when AV is on

I recently noticed a decline in overall startup times, that eventually gets so bad that it basically freezes indefinitely the whole program. Sometimes it freezes right away after you open it and you get the balnk canvas, other times when you try and open an image, or even when you want to save your changes, The good news is that I managed to find the culprit: addons and the AV (in my case Windows Defender). Let me explain. I first started using Paint.NET about 3 years ago and since then i've been in love with it. From time to time i like to come on the forums and see what new plugins people have made for it and eventually end up getting one or two. The problem is that i noticed a decline in startup performance with every "fruitful visit" but i scratched it off as "well, it has to load more". I think this whole problem comes from the fact that the addons are .dlls and the av freaks out when it sees you download/move/acces so many in such little time and locks everything up. And i know the AV is to blame because if i disable it everything is back to normal, so i ruled out a bad/outdated plugin that i may use. But the question remains: how can i make them play nice ?

Here is a short clip showing the problem.

Change your AV software? It doesn't seem to be doing your sanity much good if it is causing you such problems.

Yes many plugins will slow paint.net startup appreciably. You would need hundreds though. Ruthlessly cull some you don't use.

On 02.09.2016 at 10:43 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Change your AV software? It doesn't seem to be doing your sanity much good if it is causing you such problems.

Yes many plugins will slow paint.net startup appreciably. You would need hundreds though. Ruthlessly cull some you don't use.

The AV in question is windows defender, and this didnt happen before the latest update.

On 02.09.2016 at 11:26 PM, Rick Brewster said:

Sounds like you already figured out what the problem is (more plugins) and the solution for it (less plugins)

Dont get me wrong, im not using 100's of addons, i actually recently went trough and deleted a good chunk of them, but the problem is still there

Rename the Effects folder to something else and then start paint.net. That will load it with zero plugins to see if the problem really is the plugins.

You can also check the Settings > Plugin Errors dialog to see if any that are loaded are causing a problem. Kill them off if they are.