Loading a file which expands the page

iv looked around the discussion board and I cant find what I'm looking for so here goes.

maybe I'm a noob at times but I try to load a picture into my project. I click to keep the canvas size but the picture iv added causes my original designs canvas size exponentially. I understand that the image iv chosen is obviously too big, but by clicking keep canvas size I assume that shouldn't be the case. any ideas?

It should do just that - maintain the canvas size. Is importing the new larger image changing the view size? Try pressing Ctrl + 0 to reset to 100% view size.

What command are you using to load the picture into the project? If you use Paste into Layer, and select Keep canvas size, PDN will show a selection that includes the whole picture, to allow you to position the image onto the canvas, but all the portions of the image that are outside the canvas will disappear as soon as you exit the mode where you are positioning the new image, for example, by deselecting or activating a different layer.

• Upvote 1

ctrl + alt makes the picture even larger. 800x600 canvas, I add a picture 1250x966, add to layer, now it doesn't even ask if I want to keep canvas size or not it just makes my initial image 1250x966. then after deleting the large picture, underneath my image is now tiny in the top corner. I cant get my head around it.

Ctrl + Alt??

Walk us through the exact steps you're performing.