Sign in to follow this  
ProlificDesign

Added Bezier points an option?

I'm not sure how to utilize this site to my advantage as of yet so please bear with me.

To BolBait, or any plug-in designers.  I was wondering if you could design a plug-in in where the Bezier slimmed to a point at the ends, eg instead of an arrow head or curved it will be a point like a bendy needle?

at the moment I am using curved tipped (beziers) in black for eg. then using (white) beziers on top of the black ones to overlap the tip and turn it into a point. (as shown in image)2016-08-27 (1).png

This would be useful in outlining characters or objects. its not a necessity but helpful.

• Upvote 1

No you did not, what you've done is accurate and how I slice lines.  what I would like is an option in the Bezier style toolbar, to change the cap eg. (rounded, arrow, square); to a 'point' cap, as you and I have both demonstrated

There are quite detailed tutorials by BoltBait and others. You need to have some knowledge of C# to write plugins, since that's the language Paint.net uses. Plugins are most often written using a feature of PDN called CodeLab, but can also be written using the Visual Studio development system (versions of which are free). This is explained in the tutorials.

• Upvote 1

My suggestion, is to use and learn already existing plugins.

there are so many around here:

<snip>

and many more over the forum from different members who published on their own.

Edited by BoltBait
Removed link to a virus

I'd really like to have those sort of tapered lines too.

There's nothing in the .NET Framework that will provide that style of end cap, nor have I seen any 3rd-party libraries that offer it.

Having said that, I think I might be able to hack something together. I'll try to work on it next weekend.

23 minutes ago, Shochi said:

there are so many around here...

Whoa, don't be sending people to that virus site. http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28270-megalo-virus/

Please see the Plugin Index instead.

10 minutes ago, ProlificDesign said:

... CSS and HTML. is codelab a similar framework?

No, the C# syntax is not similar to either of those.

C# is a programming language, and CodeLab is a sort of editor/compiler that allows the C# code to be immediately executed within Paint.net. I wouldn't say C# is too similar to HTML, which is a markup language. (Given a choice, I'd much rather write C# than HTML.)

If you read the beginning CodeLab tutorial, you will see some simple plugin examples showing how the pieces fit together. You really don't need to know much C# to write plugins. C# has lots of fancy features that are seldom needed for plugins. All most plugins do is go through pixels in the destination buffer (the one containing the image after it's been modified) one at a time and calculate each pixel's color. The calculations can be rather complex, but the concept is straight forward.

Unfortunately, I think the plugin you're interested in for this thread is on the upper-end of plugin complexity. It probably requires fairly sophisticated knowledge of Microsoft's 2D rendering system, GDI+. As head_toe2001 mentioned, the tapering line-ends isn't something built in to the .NET framework, which makes the problem considerably more difficult.

If you wish to use HTML/CSS to create graphics for paint.net, you can use: 

Do you work with blender?

Not yet, though I'm quite curious about it, and look forward to trying it out.

I never use bezier, I only use spline. The truth is that I do not know the difference between them I also do not know when it is best to use bezier lines.

EDIT: Removed the original comment, because it was misleading and (at best) requires more explanation, which I don't have time to provide right now. Perhaps I'll restore it later.