Unable to install 4.0.10

Paint.net 3.5.11 stopped running/loading about 8 weeks ago. Just won't run anymore - no message.

I tried to install 4.0.9 over the top to resolve the issue, no luck - Then 4.0.10 - no luck

Tried installing MS .NET Framework several times, but receive the message: .NET Framework 4.6.1 or a later update is already installed on this computer.

I've tried the .Net repair - FixDotNet - nothing found

I've tried running the PDN1603Diag.exe - get the attached error

Windows 10 64bit, 16gb, 480gb SSD, Dell Optiplex

Any thoughts - really loved this program.

Video of the install can be found here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ae0YklNXQ3a3lISEE3NWU1UGM

No Paint.net directory created in C:\program files etc.

Installer starts, runs, then, just disappears...

GC

post-147922-0-18514700-1470113433_thumb.post-147922-0-21661500-1470113443_thumb.post-147922-0-79130800-1470114019_thumb.post-147922-0-01157600-1470114031_thumb.

Edited by gc67

The screenshot PDN1603Diag shows it can't find the WinForms assembly. Your installation of the .NET Framework must be broken.

I've tried the .Net repair - FixDotNet - nothing found

FixDotNet? Are you referring to the official Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool, or something else?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Hi.

Can't install 4.0.10, I get 'fatal error during installation'.

Can't install 4.0.9 either.

OS is windows 7 pro 64bit.

Turned on MSI verbose logging, I get this result:

=== Logging started: 02/08/2016  09:53:44 ===
32-bit MSI may not be installed on 64-bit OS.
=== Logging stopped: 02/08/2016  09:53:44 ===

I have no idea what you are using to create the installer, but at the end everything boils down to MSI database files and merge modules, and one of these files have trouble installing on 64bit machines. I know quite a lot about Windows Installer XML, I have created many installers so far, and I know for a fact that by using MSI technology alone you can't create an installer that works with both 32bit and 64bit OSs. The only way to do this would be to include both a 32bit and a 64bit MSI in the bundle, and let the bootstrapper choose between them at startup. Now it seems that your bootstrapper tries to install the 32bit MSI instead of the 64bit, so there may be something wrong with the way you are detecting the OS.

Of course I can be wrong.

WW

Yes - It's the .Net Framework repair tool - does nothing, seems to find nothing to fix either.

So, how can this be fixed... I mean, one day Paint.NET was working, and literally the next day it wasn't. possibly a Window 10 update, but who knows...

Now I can't even install the latest version.

I know this isn't your problem, I just really liked using Piant.Net, and now I can't.

Thanks in advance

GC

Tried installing MS .NET Framework several times, but receive the message: .NET Framework 4.6.1 or a later update is already installed on this computer.

Ok, if it won't let you reinstall on top of the existing installation, the next logical thing to try is to completely uninstall the .NET Framework, and then install it again.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab