Not sure what to even call it?! Maybe "actual" size?

Here is the problem:

I have a round object. 

I am putting a piece of paper/tape around it.

The dimension are roughly 150 x 20 mm.

I need to put the paper/tape on the round object, turn it to a desired position and then make little marks on it. I will repeat that a few times.

Once I did that, I need to take the paper/tape off and print numbers on it (where the marks are). There is always the option of measuring the marks (from left to right) and then somehow importing those measurement to a new canvas and print it out rather than printing on the old tape... Hope this makes sense?!

Sound pretty simple, right?!  :)

How would I do something like that? 

thanks,

Kmd

Assuming I correctly understand what you want to accomplish, one thing you could do is set PDN to show the cursor position in centimeters, using View>Centimeters. Then set the tool to Pencil using Tool>Pencil. Move the cursor around until the position display in the lower-right side of PDN shows a position as close as possible to the measured location, and click the mouse to make a dot. You can use the marks to place the cursor and type the numbers using the Text tool. You could also go straight to typing the numbers, though that seems a bit less precise.  Not exactly elegant, but unless you have to do it many times, it's probably easier than coming up with an elegant solution.

EDIT: For printing, you might want to read the thread on image DPI. I admit I haven't more than skimmed it, myself. (The resize resolution will be be in metric units if Centimeters are being used.)

If you have a scanner, you could just scan it, then add a new layer on which to type the number. You could then print the text layer. To preserve the size, you'd have to take into account all the DPI stuff so the printed resolution matched the scanner resolution, but  I expect (or hope) it wouldn't be too difficult.

EDIT: Something not addressed, as far as I could see, in the DPI thread is that normally when I print pictures, they're automatically resized to fill up the paper size (which is what I usually prefer). I assume that the way to avoid that and make the printing match the picture's DPI setting is to uncheck "Fit picture to frame," though I've never actually tried it.

Assuming I correctly understand what you want to accomplish, one thing you could do is set PDN to show the cursor position in centimeters, using View>Centimeters. Then set the tool to Pencil using Tool>Pencil. Move the cursor around until the position display in the lower-right side of PDN shows a position as close as possible to the measured location, and click the mouse to make a dot. You can use the marks to place the cursor and type the numbers using the Text tool. You could also go straight to typing the numbers, though that seems a bit less precise.  Not exactly elegant, but unless you have to do it many times, it's probably easier than coming up with an elegant solution.

EDIT: For printing, you might want to read the thread on image DPI. I admit I haven't more than skimmed it, myself. (The resize resolution will be be in metric units if Centimeters are being used.)

Not a bad Idea. I just played a little bit with this, and I am getting somewhere. I think, ha ha. What I like about it is, that I can make a canvas that is 9.1 and 1.6 cm big. I can then place the cursor exactly where I want it, and draw a line, or whatever it is I want to draw. So far so good. The only problem now is, I have to somehow figure out how to print this in "real" dimensions... That said, I have not looked at the DPI link you gave me.

Thanks for your input!!!

Kmd

If you have a scanner, you could just scan it, then add a new layer on which to type the number. You could then print the text layer. To preserve the size, you'd have to take into account all the DPI stuff so the printed resolution matched the scanner resolution, but  I expect (or hope) it wouldn't be too difficult.

EDIT: Something not addressed, as far as I could see, in the DPI thread is that normally when I print pictures, they're automatically resized to fill up the paper size (which is what I usually prefer). I assume that the way to avoid that and make the printing match the picture's DPI setting is to uncheck "Fit picture to frame," though I've never actually tried it.

Not a bad idea either. 

Let me play with the first "method" a little bit, before getting to crazy here, ha ha.

Thanks again,

Kmd