Is selling PDN on CD okay?

alih

I was just updating PDN...which I dont do everytime it asks me to-i'm quite lazy you see...and it said you've been scammed if you paid money for it.

I was just wondering if you are allowed to charge people for it if you put it on a CD.

Are you allowed?

I never paid for it.

I don't know why anyone would pay for a CD, but just wondering...no harm in that. Is there?

I don't know why anyone would pay for a CD

Because they have never heared about Paint.NET and thus the fact that it is free.

---

I am not a lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt and use it strictly for training purposes, but I would say it is legal but many people may find it immoral.

KaHuc.png

It was put there in the install screen because people have been found selling PDN on eBay. No matter if you are selling PDN on a CD and only making people pay for the CD or if your selling PDN itself. You are not allowed. By selling the CD with PDN already on it you are in terms selling PDN.

So whatever you got in your head I would stop thinking about as I am sure Rick would not be happy and I know the idea alone upsets me and I am sure it upsets others.

Regardless of ethical issues, selling Paint.NET is perfectly legal. The MIT license explicitly gives the right to sell the software.

Permission is hereby granted . . . the rights to . . . sell copies of the Software . . .

Obviously, I wouldn't recommend it. It is likely that you would get angry buyers after they see red text in the installer telling them that the software is free.

It's legal, although general consensus is that it's unethical unless you are also adding value.

That added value could come in the form of including the large .NET Framework on the CD, and touting it as a good way for dial-up users to get Paint.NET.

If you just toss the 1.5mb installer on to a CD-R, then that's pretty lame.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

There really wasnt a need for your post Simon, considering it seems Rick granted him permission in his earlier post.

I don't remember seeing Rick say "go ahead and start selling what I worked hard on" in any of his posts here.

I only see him pointing out that it is legal.

:roll: Yeah, it's legal. Yeah, it's unethical for the most part unless you're adding value. I can't possibly see this topic going anywhere else good.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.