Need Help on changing .png -> .pdn file manually

Alrighty, So first off I made a first slide of a comic I am making, I saved it as a .png file, then realized eh might as well just save as .pdn file, and then I saved it on the png file and closed paint.net, tried opening file, got this ->

System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.

at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)

at PaintDotNet.Data.PngFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Data\PngFileType.cs:line 118

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 477

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

So I read something about needing to manually change files, .png -> .pdn, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THAT, PLEASE HELP!

Edited by Omicronic

You should choose a more descriptive thread name. Imagine if every thread asking for help were called "Help me!" It's rule 6 of the forum rules: Thread titles must be descriptive and specific -- NOT generic.

I think from what you've said, you can probably just use the Windows file explorer (the built-in Window program that lets you look at folders and files) to rename the file. Just right click on the file, choose "rename" from the drop-down list, and type the name with the correct extension. Windows will ask you if you're sure you want to change the extension. I assume you are sure. You can actually do the same from within PDN. Just click on "File>Open" and when it brings up the file menu, right click on the file and rename it. If things work right, you should now be able to open the file.

EDIT: My other right! Right click, don't left click.

EDIT 2: Decided it made more sense to use File>Open instead of File>Save As.

The main reason for saving your work as an PDN-File is to keep the layers for a later editing. But your already saved PNG-file has only ONE layer, so it makes no sense to save it then as a PDN.

Just changing the file extension manually is a bad idea. The complete file structure is different and don't fit.

Edited by IRON67

I think from what you've said, you can probably just use the Windows file explorer (the built-in Window program that lets you look at folders and files) to rename the file. Just right click on the file, choose "rename" from the drop-down list, and type the name with the correct extension. Windows will ask you if you're sure you want to change the extension. I assume you are sure. You can actually do the same from within PDN. Just click on "File>Open" and when it brings up the file menu, right click on the file and rename it. If things work right, you should now be able to open the file.

Tried this, didn't work thanks for trying to help though!

When you say it "didn't work," what do you mean? After you changed the extension from .png to .pdn, did it do exactly the same thing or something different?

Exact same thing,

System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.

at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)

at PaintDotNet.Data.PngFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Data\PngFileType.cs:line 118

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 477

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

Are you sure you changed the name? That may seem like a srange question, but if you look at your error output, it indicates it's is trying to open a PNG file:

I saved a PDN file as under a .png extension, and got the same type of error message when I tried to open it. I changed the extension to .pdn, and it opened fine.

stem.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.

Tried Again and I got this

Edited by Omicronic

Give us a screenshot of the file, showing the full filename and extension.

Alternative #1: try this plugin: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=31715

Alternative #2: zip the file and upload it here so we can have a look.