paint.net has stopped working

Hi All,

I keep getting the following error message

paint.net has stop working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I have tried reinstalling the program, but that doesnt seem to work.

I am running Windows 7.

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

Hi Jake, welcome to the forum.

Can you describe the actions you are performing which lead to this error? Are you using a particular plugin or tool for example?

Hi Ego Eram Reputo,

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay.

As far as I am aware, I am not suing any Plugins or tools. I just downloaded it and tried to open it.

I simply just open up paint.net. I see the page open up with the artboard and menu. It has the 4 windows (Tools, Colours, History, Layers). But then it just freezes and stops responding. I then get the following messages:

Message 1: paint.net has stopped working - windows is checking for a solution to the problem

Message 2: paint.net has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available,

Edited by jakehoward

Is there a crash log file? Look in the location C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\paint.net\CrashLogs

If you find one, post the contents here.

Here are a few things you can try:

1) Make sure all of your windows updates are applied.

2) Make sure your video card drivers are up to date.

3) On the settings screen ( :Settings: upper right corner of main window) disable "Hardware accelerated rendering GPU" and "Animations".

If none of this works, you'll have to post the crash log as EER suggested above.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response.

Firstly, there are no Crash Logs. There is a folder that says Optimization, andother says SessionData, and another that says 393725163. These folders dont contain any documents.

Regarding the other points:

1) I am on windows 7. Does this mean I have to upgrade to Windows 10

2) How do I make sure my video card drivers are up to date?

3) I can't access the Settings Screen unfortunately, as it is crashing before I get a chance to do so.

Once again, I appreciate everyones help with this.

1) I'm sure Microsoft wants you to think you have to upgrade to Windows 10, but no, for current versions of paint.net, Windows 7 is fine.

2) Compare the driver you have to the one provided on the vendor's website. If you are using a discrete graphics card, both AMD and Nvidia have utilities you can use that will tell you if the drivers are updated. If you are using graphics from a CPU/GPU combo (such as all Intel processor from the past several years), I think you have to manually look on their website.

3) These are settings stored in the system registry, and can be directly modified. If unsure, you can run this file to make the changes for you.

DisableAniHW.zip

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\paint.net]
"UI/EnableAnimations"="False"
"UI/EnableHardwareAcceleration"="False"

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab