PNG images not converting very well to GIF Images

I have tried program after program to convert these PNG moderator image files into GIF files but they all turn out crappy. I have tried using Photoshop, Image Ready, Image Converter Pro 1.0, AutoImager, etc. All to no avail. If I can't apply the layers to one layer (See Thread: http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1341), then I need a good image converter program that will not make GIF image files crappy looking. What will make images not crappy?

See, the thing is I want to make these from PNG to GIF so I can edit them on Mac OS X on my other computer using AppleWorks's paint program, so then I wouldn't have to deal with layers. Please help as I want to get this new moderator image logo done ASAP. Thank you very much.

GIF can only contain up to 128 colors (or 256 if i'm wrong in the first case) which are dithered (some dihering modes actually produce pretty nice results). Anyway, not enough to get nice image. GIF is fine for avatars and othe pixel art but not for regular images (photos).

rejzor.png