Increasing working area of a transparent pic...

The amateur

I have two layers I want combined, which shouldn't be a problem. The background layer is solid coloured and bigger than the foreground layer. The foreground layer is a transparent pic of an object. An object I do not want resized. When having this as a layer with the other pic, a white solid area is being created below and on the right side to make this layer as big as the background layer. How can I make that new area transparent?

There's no way to increase the working area size of the transparent pic with the object in paint.net without expanding/stretching the pic itself, which is not what I want. I have also tried to open the file in MS paint to increase the area to match the size of the background layer pic, but then I loses the transparency when saving, and gets the ugly, white outline around the object when restoring the transparency with paint.net.

Just use the magic wand tool to get rid of the white area. Select the wand, click on the are you want to remove, adjust the tolerance so that only the area you want to delete is selected, then press delete.

You could also increase the canvas size (I believe it's under "Image") of the transparent image so that it matches the larger one before you paste it in.

Edited by a52

You could also increase the canvas size (I believe it's under "Image") of the transparent image so that it matches the larger one before you paste it in.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Anyway, I have worked around the issue and is done with the work.

Edited by The amateur