How to resize an image

katiehart

I apologize ahead of time for asking such a basic question. This is the first time I have used this type of program.

I would really appreciate it if someone could simply tell me step by step how to resize an image. I dropped a photo into my workspace on to an existing larger background. I held down shift-left mouse button-and dragged the image to the size I want. Now what do I do? How do Imake it actually resize or "scale" down the image? I am missing something very simple here. It's just sitting there highlighted in blue.

Thank you for your patience...

Hello Katiehart.

Have you tried Image > Resize? It will save you manually scaling down the image and cropping the canvas to the new size, as you have been doing*. From the Resize dialog, you can change the dimensions of the image to whatever you so desire; it might be in your better interest to keep the checkbox marked 'Maintain aspect ratio' ticked to keep the proportions of the image the same throughout the resizing procedure.

Don't forget to read the Help Documentation if you're unsure of a certain feature (Help > Help Topics).

Does this answer you?

*if you are to manually rescale, once you have the size you want, keep the selection active around the image and go to Image > Crop to Selection, thereby cutting out the canvas around the image.

Thank you for your help...

When I click on resize image it only resizes the 12 x 12 background the photo is on...not the layer/image I have selected.

Hello Katiehart.

Have you tried Image > Resize? It will save you manually scaling down the image and cropping the canvas to the new size, as you have been doing*. From the Resize dialog, you can change the dimensions of the image to whatever you so desire; it might be in your better interest to keep the checkbox marked 'Maintain aspect ratio' ticked to keep the proportions of the image the same throughout the resizing procedure.

Don't forget to read the Help Documentation if you're unsure of a certain feature (Help > Help Topics).

Does this answer you?

*if you are to manually rescale, once you have the size you want, keep the selection active around the image and go to Image > Crop to Selection, thereby cutting out the canvas around the image.

I think I may know what you mean. I seem to have misread your first post, my deepest apologies for this.

May I assume that you are wanting to remove the remainder of the background canvas that is left around the image? You have your image on the layer scaled down, and you want to reduce the overall 12 x 12 canvas to the size of the scaled image? If so, maybe the footnote from my last post would be of help here:

I've underlined the most important part of this.

Is this the solution you are looking for?

No...I may be asking the question wrong. Let me tell you what I am doing to give you an understanding of what i need.

I have a 12 x 12 background for a scrapbook page. I dropped a 4x6 photo on top of it. The photo is too large and I would like to resize the entire photo to be smaller. I don't need to crop any of it off, I just need it resized to maybe 3x5. Shift, Left click, drag makes the blue box smaller, but what do I do next to make the photo actually get resized. At this point its just sitting there...the large photo with the highlighted box on top of it. Im sorry to be a pain, but nothing in the help or tutorials has anything as basic as this. LOL

I think I may know what you mean. I seem to have misread your first post, my deepest apologies for this.

May I assume that you are wanting to remove the remainder of the background canvas that is left around the image? You have your image on the layer scaled down, and you want to reduce the overall 12 x 12 canvas to the size of the scaled image? If so, maybe the footnote from my last post would be of help here:

I've underlined the most important part of this.

Is this the solution you are looking for?

Im sorry to be a pain...

You have no need to apologise, it's me, for some reason I wasn't seeing it until this line of yours...

Left click, drag makes the blue box smaller, but what do I do next to make the photo actually get resized.
[Emphasis added]

I've said this once before, let's hope I mean it this time: I think I may know what you mean.

The blue box indicates an active selection where manipulation only applies to the selection, not the pixels within the selection. You will want to use the Move Pixels tool ( :MoveTool: ) instead of the Move Selection tool ( :MoveSelectionTool: ) to adjust the selection. Now the pixels the selection is composed of will be effected, i.e. the image.

That should be it. :)

YOU HAVE DONE IT!! :D

That was it....I needed to click on move selected pixels.

This is like learning a new language.

Thank you.

Im sorry to be a pain...

You have no need to apologise, it's me, for some reason I wasn't seeing it until this line of yours...

Left click, drag makes the blue box smaller, but what do I do next to make the photo actually get resized.
[Emphasis added]

I've said this once before, let's hope I mean it this time: I think I may know what you mean.

The blue box indicates an active selection where manipulation only applies to the selection, not the pixels within the selection. You will want to use the Move Pixels tool ( :MoveTool: ) instead of the Move Selection tool ( :MoveSelectionTool: ) to adjust the selection. Now the pixels the selection is composed of will be effected, i.e. the image.

That should be it. :)

Ah, triumphant you are katiehart!

I'm really glad we've got this sorted for you, and I am sorry for what may have seemed a wasting of your time; I clearly was not on form this time.

Well, this is fantastic news to say the least. Enjoy the rest of your day, katiehart :D.