Oil Painting Effect Coarseness 2 - How to achieve?

FanofSMBX

The short answer is no but you can increase the image size & that will give you more control of the coarseness. Try increasing by percentage of 200 or 400%. You can reduce the image size again after you have achieved the desired effect.

• Upvote 3
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

The short answer is no but you can increase the image size & that will give you more control of the coarseness. Try increasing by percentage of 200 or 400%. You can reduce the image size again after you have achieved the desired effect.

Thanks. It appears that that has a smoother effect, though I am working with tiny pixel sprites so that wouldn't work in my game idea's resolution. Any particular reason why I can't at least test out Coarseness=2?

Thanks. It appears that that has a smoother effect, though I am working with tiny pixel sprites so that wouldn't work in my game idea's resolution.

The logical workflow is to enlarge the image (say 2x) then apply the Oil Painting effect, then reduce the image back to the original size. Actually, this is a very elegant solution!

RE: Coarseness < 3: It will probably be to do with the algorithm Oil Painting uses. If Coarseness =1 or =2 gave meaningful results I'm sure the developer (Rick) would have included it as an option.

What I would do for this is duplicate your main image layer and on the top layer, use Effects>>Distort>>Dents. Lower the "scale" setting and you may experiment with the other settings refraction, roughness, tension and quality. Change the blending mode of this top layer where you used Dents and see what effect it does with the original image on the layer below it.

You may also use Adjustments>>Posterize.

Barbieq25 takes the credit for that suggestion. It is a great way to apply a more subtle effect.