Resizing a scan into a real size scan in centimeters

zediplomat

Hi All

I have looked almost everywhere for the last days but can't find the answer to my problem, so I don't even know if it's possible with Paint.net. I will try my best to explain it as I'm really not a tech guy. 

I want to turn an existing scan to a real size scan of an existing pic in very precised measurements in centimeters.

The scan is a JPG 745 X 1040 Pixels in 300DPI

What I want out of this scan is to get a 5.70866" X 7.99213" (14,5 cm X 20.3 cm) in PNG.

I have tried so many things but never succeed so far.

Let me know if you need further info. I hope that someone can help. Thanks.

It's complete easy. In fact the size must be 14,54 cm x 20,30 cm or 14,50 x 20,24 cm to maintain the aspect ratio. Load the image, click in menu on Image -> Resize... and change the values on Print size as needed. That will change the values for pixels automatically to 1713 x 2391 / 1718 x 2398 pixels. Save the Image as PNG. Done.

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 1

It's complete easy. In fact the size must be 14,54 cm x 20,30 cm or 14,50 x 20,24 cm to maintain the aspect ratio. Load the image, click in menu on Image -> Resize... and change the values on Print size as needed. That will change the values for pixels automatically to 1713 x 2391 / 1718 x 2398 pixels. Save the Image as PNG. Done.

Hi Iron

Thanks for your reply. Of course, I have done that, but I do get a Huge image which is not at all the 14,54 cm x 20,30 cm  of the real size product .

If I create a normal new image, the dpi settings are 96 dpi on my system. An image with 745 x 1040 pixels has (check your own ruler in paint.net) a dimension of 7,76 x 10,83 inches or 19,71 cm x 27,52 cm.

If you now change only the dpi to 300, the size changes to 2,48 x 3,47 inches or 6,31 cm x 8,81 cm.

Now change the print size to 14,54 x 20,30 cm. Of course the image will be bigger in pixels. What else?

BTW: To print an image in a specific size you dont have to change something on the image itself (as long as the size and quality of the original image is not to small and bad). You can change all the settings for size in your printer options.

Edited by IRON67

If I create a normal new image, the dpi settings are 96 dpi on my system. An image with 745 x 1040 pixels has (check your own ruler in paint.net) a dimension of 7,76 x 10,83 inches or 19,71 cm x 27,52 cm.

If you now change only the dpi to 300, the size changes to 2,48 x 3,47 inches or 6,31 cm x 8,81 cm.

Now change the print size to 14,54 x 20,30 cm. Of course the image will be bigger in pixels. What else?

BTW: To print an image in a specific size you dont have to change something on the image itself (as long as the size and quality of the original image is not to small and bad). You can change all the settings for size in your printer options.

Hi Iron

I didn't create the scan that I have, it was mentioned to me that it was a 300 DPI scan, So when the scan is on the resize function I do have:

New Size: 3.0 MB

Resampling: Best Quality

Width: 754 Pixels

Height: 1040 Pixels

Resolution: 118, 11 Pixel/cm

Print Size

Width: 6.31 Centimeters

Height: 8.81 Centimeters

when I use the ruler onto that scan it says that 6 cms something width and 9 centimeters Height.  

After doing what you told me 

I do get:

New Size: 15,7.MB

Resampling: Best Quality

Width: 1717 Pixels

Height: 2398 Pixels

Resolution:  118,11 Pixel/cm

Print Size

Width: 14.54 Centimeters

Height: 20.11 Centimeters

when I use the ruler onto that scan it says that 14 cms something width and 20 centimeters Height.  

Once I save that to PNG and want to upload the image on my website. I do get a Huge image that is not the measurements that I want.

I hope what I wrote is clear for you..

Edited by zediplomat

Once I save that to PNG and want to upload the image on my website. I do get a Huge image that is not the measurements that I want.

I hope what I wrote is clear for you..

And WHAT measurements has it then? I have reproduced it again and again and on my system is all fine. The saved image has exact the same values for size, print size and resolution as choosen. My image has a file size of 0,99 MB (filled with random shapes).

Take a look:

Untitled.png

I suggest, that you upload your original scan and your resized image so I can download them and take a look.

Edited by IRON67

Try this tutorial http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/17049-dpi-and-you-understanding-resolution-for-print-and-web/it may help explain why your image appears so large on a screen.

And WHAT measurements has it then? I have reproduced it again and again and on my system is all fine. The saved image has exact the same values for size, print size and resolution as choosen. My image has a file size of 0,99 MB (filled with random shapes).

Take a look:

Untitled.png

I suggest, that you upload your original scan and your resized image so I can download them and take a look.

Hi Iron

This is the Original scan:

Time%20Spiral-front.xlhq_zpsjjczj1f5.jpg

Time%20Spiral-front.xlhq%20layer%20BIG_z

And this is how the resized one looks like on my website:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/430-rarities-time-spiral-cycle-oversized-promos-english-cards-2006.html

Edited by zediplomat

The image on your website is 1713x2391 pixels. It's being displayed by a monitor using a resolution of around 96ppi*. So the image is being shown at.....

1713/96 = 17.8inches wide and

2391/96 = 24.9 inches high

Now you want an image 5.70866" x 7.99213" so let's do the math...

5.70866" x 96ppi = 548 pixels wide and

7.99213 x 96ppi = 767 pixels high

In short, to get an image of the required dimensions on your website - resize the base image to 548 x 767 pixels. This is approx 25% smaller than the image you posted above.

* ppi = pixels per inch - a rough approximation of regular LCD monitor, a not retina screen.

The image on your website is 1713x2391 pixels. It's being displayed by a monitor using a resolution of around 96ppi*. So the image is being shown at.....

1713/96 = 17.8inches wide and

2391/96 = 24.9 inches high

Now you want an image 5.70866" x 7.99213" so let's do the math...

5.70866" x 96ppi = 548 pixels wide and

7.99213 x 96ppi = 767 pixels high

In short, to get an image of the required dimensions on your website - resize the base image to 548 x 767 pixels. This is approx 25% smaller than the image you posted above.

* rough approximation of regular LCD monitor - a not retina screen

Hi Ego

Thanks for helping. I've just put the image with your measurements, then I grab the real card to put onto my screen to compare and again it doesn't match , the resize scan is still not the precised measurements having appromixately 1.7 extra cm for the width, abou the same same for the height ( my screen is not big enough that I can use a ruler to measure it like the width)

That's just fine tuning based on your monitor. Mine will probably look different. So will mobiles.

If you want, Resize it down in small steps using the percentage value. Take it down 1% or 2% and recheck. Undo (restores the original - don't resize a resize!) then apply a bit more reduction until you get to the screen dimension you want.

Bear in mind that your website might be squeezing or stretching the image to make it fit into a CSS styled box.

Thought so...

<div style=" height: 765px; width: 548px; background-image: url(rarities_ZarQI89rXnFxed5ji7zB_pict.jpg);"   id="card_14716"></div><div class=t12g style="padding: 10px;">Test Real Size</div><table class="tab" cellpadding="4" width="290"><tr><td class="tabc1">Illus.</td><td colspan="2" class="tabc"></td></tr><tr><td class="tabc1">Rarity</td><td colspan="2" class="tabc"></td></tr><tr><td class="tabc1">Color</td><td colspan="2" class="tabc"></td></tr><tr><td class="tabc1">Source </td><td class="tabc"><font class="t8"><font class="t8" color=red>Source unknown</font></font></td><td class="tabc" nowrap><font class="t8" color=red>Date unknown</font></td></tr></table></td><td align="center" valign="top"><a name="card000"></a><b>000</b><br><br><br>				<script langage="javascript"> T_carte_a_afficher["1_14715"] = "rarities_z4sQIUNSOzVDycj48imW_pict.jpg"; </script>
<div style=" height: 2391px; width: 1713px; background-image: url(rarities_z4sQIUNSOzVDycj48imW_pict.jpg);"   id="card_14715"></div><div class=t12g style="padding: 10px;">test</div><table class="tab" cellpadding="4" width="290"><tr><td class="tabc1">Illus.</td><td colspan="2" class="tabc"></td></tr><tr><td class="tabc1">Rarity</td><td colspan="2" class="tabc"></td></tr><tr><td class="tabc1">Color</td><td colspan="2" class="tabc"></td></tr><tr><td class="tabc1">Source </td><td class="tabc"><font class="t8"><font class="t8" color=red>Source unknown</font></font></td><td class="tabc" nowrap><font class="t8" color=red>Date unknown</font></td></tr></table></td><td align="center" valign="top"><a name="card001"></a><b>001</b><br>				<script langage="javascript">

Your webpage is specifying the size of the image in code. Padding and cellpadding are also being applied. Heaven only knows what the numerous classes and javascript are adding.

• Upvote 1

Another note you might not wish to hear: laying out website with tables is a really poor design choice.

Have a look at FlexBox instead https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/08/flexible-future-for-web-design-with-flexbox/

That's just fine tuning based on your monitor. Mine will probably look different. So will mobiles.

If you want, Resize it down in small steps using the percentage value. Take it down 1% or 2% and recheck. Undo (restores the original - don't resize a resize!) then apply a bit more reduction until you get to the screen dimension you want.

Bear in mind that your website might be squeezing or stretching the image to make it fit into a CSS styled box.

Well, that's what I did when I upgrade the first subsection to Real Size to get the almost perfect measurements:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/291-rarities-vanguard-cards-english-cards-series-1.html

Points is that there's 15 subsections in that section and I will need to upgrade to a bunch of different measurements

6.25" X 8.75" (15,8 cm X 22.2 cm) 

3.46457" X 4.96063" (8.8 cm X 12.6 cm)

4" x 6" (11 x 15 cm)

7.913386" X 5.669291" (20.1 cm X 14.4 cm)

3.7" x 5.27" (9,5 x 13.4 cm)

5.70866" X 7.99213" (14,5 cm X 20.3 cm)

I wonder why I have that bright idea of wanting to upgrade to real size that "Oversized" section, beside the fact that's over 1500 scans to replace, and that taking care of updating and upgrading the whole site is a 24/7...

Another note you might not wish to hear: laying out website with tables is a really poor design choice.

Have a look at FlexBox instead https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/08/flexible-future-for-web-design-with-flexbox/

That's another story, I can hear it, as I don't take care of that part at all, as I don't have the skills or knowledge, my website design is like an "Antiquities", it was done over 15 years ago. A webmaster is supposed to do the job in the future, but a first try was attempted, and the result was such a disaster, that the website was reversed to the old one, that at least was working, and easy to work on for me. For the technical part, I rely on a friend  that created a program for me to add all the scans, and we are talking about 15000 of them and the list of "to do things for me" is full booked till eternity héhé

Only a note after seeing, that it is in fact not an image resizing problem:

Please understand, that your website can displayed totally different for different visitors with different systems.

It is almost impossible to ensure that the image is displayed for all in the same size, whether in absolute terms or relative to ratio of screen size
Modern browsers often have the opportunity to present web pages in different resolutions without having to change the system- or the monitor settings. There are also web services, the so-called "Browsershots" presenting a page for different resolutions.

Only a note after seeing, that it is in fact not an image resizing problem:

Please understand, that your website can displayed totally different for different visitors with different systems.

It is almost impossible to ensure that the image is displayed for all in the same size, whether in absolute terms or relative to ratio of screen size

Modern browsers often have the opportunity to present web pages in different resolutions without having to change the system- or the monitor settings. There are also web services, the so-called "Browsershots" presenting a page for different resolutions.

So, if I follow you it means that getting a Real Size image of an item, picture, etc...is an impossible task even using the math formula that you provided or resizing step by step, as the different systems parameters will show the image not in the same way (with the precised measurements) from one user to another. Am I correct ?

...is an impossible task even using the math formula that you provided or resizing step by step, as the different systems parameters will show the image not in the same way (with the precised measurements) from one user to another. Am I correct ?

Of course. Additional - every user - not related to his standard system settings - use his own options for zooming and so on. Imagine someone wants look da Vinci's Mona Lisa on a 10-inch tablet ....

I also not understand in principle, what meaning it should have to give yourself so much trouble, to represent an image in "original size", if you can write a text including just to what size it is.
Edited by IRON67

Of course. Additional - every user - not related to his standard system settings - use his own options for zooming and so on. Imagine someone wants look da Vinci's Mona Lisa on a 10-inch tablet ....

I also not understand in principle, what meaning it should have to give yourself so much trouble, to represent an image in "original size", if you can write a text including just to what size it is.

I will answer to that. Of course, I can keep that section as it is, being happy that the precised measurements are notified in the index and just move onto the thousands of updates that need to be done but when I'm doing something, I'm into precision and extremely verified info and my website is like the "bible" for millions of users all over the world that use it as as a reference. Point, is that at the basis into that specific section while the scans are of HQ, that most of them have a zoom function, they do not reflect what the real cards looks like when it comes to measurements, and that can bring confusion at first look, it is well known that on most website people don't read, but just go to the easy way to simply look at something, that's why I wanted to upgrade that section, to a basically "what you see is what you get". While I'm really not a tech person that doesn't prevent me to be some kind of a perfectionist. If my website was about stamps, I will want the scans to look as much as possible as real stamps, etc...Hope, you understand me better.

Edited by zediplomat

...and my website is like the "bible" for millions of users all over the world that use it as as a reference... it is well known that on most website people don't read, but just go to the easy way to simply look at something...

So this is peoples problem, not yours. You can not please everyone there. If it is a "bible" and a reference, people has to read or not?

The technical effort to present something in a precise size, is disproportionate to the benefits. Of course you can read the main system info of the visitors and then can be adapted in the web page dimensions with JavaScript. But what if the visitor has disabled JavaScript for security reasons?

So this is peoples problem, not yours. You can not please everyone there. If it is a "bible" and a reference, people has to read or not?

The technical effort to present something in a precise size, is disproportionate to the benefits. Of course you can read the main system info of the visitors and then can be adapted in the web page dimensions with JavaScript. But what if the visitor has disabled JavaScript for security reasons?

I agree with you, I'm old school, I still like to read, to learn, and trying to educate people when most of the people nowadays are quite happy being ignorant héhé. I'm quite happy of that topic anyway, I did get the answer I was looking for, and I hope it will help other. Now, if I'm willing to spend that time to improve that section, is another story, I might postponed it. Thanks for your time.

Hello zediplomat,
As the display size for the end user cannot be accurately controlled perhaps adding some form of scale to the images themselves may be worth considering?
Possibly by adding a small 'ruler' that appears below the visible image but is actually a part of it and re-scales accordingly.
Eg.http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/107652-ruler-v10-march-12-2016/

Just a thought...good luck!

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg