Open Paint 2 (Mac) image file with layers?

Hello all,

I made some image files with layers on a Mac using Paint 2. They have the extension of ".paint". I would like to retain the layers but work in Windows. Is it possible to open these files within paint.net? I cannot even get the file open dialog to see them, since it doesn't recognize .paint as a valid extension. Or is there a plugin which will enable this functionality?

My tip: Try to open the files with a Image Viewer like IrfanView or XnView. These programs knows most and even unusual filetypes. Convert the images then in a more usual filetype like PNG, TIF, TGA, BMP or JPG.

I don't believe that there is a plugin for Paint.net. I can't find something under Filetype Plugins here.

Edited by IRON67

My tip: Try to open the files with a Image Viewer like IrfanView or XnView. These programs knows most and even unusual filetypes. Convert the images then in a more usual filetype like PNG, TIF, TGA, BMP or JPG.

That's not going to retain the layers as electronicsguy wants.

Best bet? Reopen the image with Paint2 and export the images as individual layers. Save each with a *.PNG file format. Paint.net will be able to open these and reassemble the image.

That's not going to retain the layers as electronicsguy wants.

I know but for me it sounds as would the Mac with Paint2 no longer available to open the images there again. If he can do that yet, then your proposal is obviously better.

I seriously doubt Rick would put the support right into paint.net. After all, that's what the plugin system is for.

If you post a sample image (family friendly, of course) here (and maybe a link to the file specification), someone might make you a plugin.

According to this site http://www.file-extensions.org/paint-file-extension the Paint2 file format is obsolete.

"This paint file type entry was marked as obsolete and no longer supported file format.

This type of file is no longer actively used and is most likely obsolete. This is typically the case for system files in old operating systems, file types from long discontinued software, or previous versions of certain file types (like documents, projects etc.) that were replaced in higher versions of their original programs."

You can see why the paint.net developer (Rick) wouldn't want to spend time on this. As @BoltBait said, there are other members of the forum who might write a plugin to open Paint2 files.