Newbie: Question about canvas sizes

Beverly Dugar

Just learned of paint.net today and  trying to learn what I can.  I am interested in creating a poster size of 24 x 36 - is that possible with paint.net?  Will it be good for professional printing?

Hello Beverly and welcome to the forum.

Paint.net should be able to handle this job.

Two things we need to know:

1. Are the dimensions you gave in inches or centimeters?

2. What level of detail will be shown - tiny fine lines or large block text? We need to know this to get an idea of the print quality you're after.

Ah yes, but if this is a poster with "WARNING - ROCKS" on it you could happily use 200dpi and still get it professionally printed. It would look Ok because it would be designed to be read from some metres away.

I asked about the size because it didn't seem to conform to the A? paper sizes (http://www.papersizes.org/a-paper-sizes.htm). Thanks for the clarification. How come you guys don't just use A1 (23.4"x 33.1")? :mrgreen:

@Beverly: 

24" x 36" x 300DPI (high resolution printing) = a canvas size of 7200 x 10800 pixels.

24" x 36" x 200DPI (medium resolution printing) = a canvas size of 4800 x 7200 pixels.

If in doubt - always go for the higher resolution.

How come you guys don't just use A1 (23.4"x 33.1")? :mrgreen:

Because 24"x36" is exactly 2 feet by 3 feet. :)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.