Lighten a section

I have a logo on a card I want lightened for the area for the autographs, how does make it more light then it is? TY

Edit: I see its commonly asked for but for some reason it hasn't been added, I also see theres a plugin but the link has no download for it.

<virus>

Ok he has a big pack yo download, lots of stuff, maybe some cool stuff, but I can't find lighten, found lightning, which looks kinda neat if you wanna be the Emperor. Anyone know where in this pile this guy has hidden this stuff?

Edited by BoltBait
Getting rid of a virus link

Can you post an example image of what you'd like to accomplish? or be a bit more descriptive?

Didn't we already tell you not to use the Megalo plugin pack? Do yourself a favor and remove it from your computer.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

As for lightening an area, you can simply select that area using any of the selection tools such as the rectangular selection, elliptical selection, lasso and magic wand tools then simply go to Adjustments>> Brightness/ Contrast, Curves or Levels and just experiment on what lightening can be achieved.

Depending on what the background is, the background might not be something that matters if it is effected or not, so you may not even need to use a selection, you can just play around with hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, levels, or curves on the entire image, or duplicate your image, and lighten the image on the top layer, and erase what you don't want lightened (eraser with very low hardness). Using a selection might cause rough edges, so sometimes it is good to find ways to do things without needing to use a selection.

If you do want to use a selection, and if it does cause unwanted roughness, I suggest using the selection feather plugin, or copy and paste your selected area onto a new layer and use an edge smoothing plugin, such as the object feather or AA's assistant.

Another way to lighten, is to add a new layer, choose a gray color to color with, and color over your area. Then change the layer's blending mode to something like overlay, screen, lighten, etc. You can fine-tune the lightness using hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, levels, or curves on the gray layer or the image layer.
For coloring, you can use the line/curve tool to trace your area, or you can use the paint brush with the hardness set to 0 for better blending.

To lighten a specific part of an image, you might also like this plugin, despite it's title, it has many functions : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32126-trs-dodge-and-burn-blur-and-sharpenfeb-25th-2015-re-posted/

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles