How to select a color

kks

Hi,

I need to know which part of the picture has a determined color, removing they rest or just making them in grey scale

Edited by kks

Use magic wand tool, Flood method GLOBAL, Tolerance 0-5% (test it out) and click on a pixel to select all other pixels in the same color. Some Color-Plugins do the same without extra selection and you can then change the color.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps I misunderstand the question, but I think kks may be looking for something like ReMake's Color Range effect or my HSV Eraser. Both allow everything except the selected color, within some tolerance, to be erased. The black-and-white effect can be achieved by duplicating the image, making the lower layer black-and-white, then erasing non-matching colors in the upper layer.

You can do that (though less elegantly) with the previously mentioned Extract Channel. But for the chroma-key effect, (the also previously mentioned) Hue/Saturation+ or HSV Eraser provide more flexible solutions, since the removed color can be any color, not just one of the channel primary colors, and the tolerance range is adjustable

Here's one tip:

-- Duplicate your image three times. So that you have your original image and then three duplicates, a total of four layers.

-- On one of the duplicated layers, name the layer Blue, then name one of the other duplicates Red, and the third duplicate Green.

-- Use extract channel plugin to make each layer the respective channel.

You can rearrange the layers in any order you want, use layer blending modes, or play around with the layers using effects. Ctrl + v + c will also copy all visible layers into a merged image, and then you can add a new layer to paste that merged image.

If you are wanting to use channels to make masks and remove backgrounds or objects, paint.net can do that, but it does it differently than photoshop. Share what you want to use channels for, and we might be able to tell you how to do things paint.net style. :)

You might also find this old discussion helpful : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32230-how-to-select-hair/

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1

You don't have to post your picture, that's fine. If you want to try and find a demonstration picture from the internet to help explain what you want, that would be fine too.

But what would also be helpful, is if perhaps you could describe more of what you want to do. Like, do you want to remove backgrounds? Do you want the pleasantville effect (everything gray except one object pops with color)?  Do you simply want to re-color a part of the picture? Or do you want to do the classic 3D coloring effect, the type of 3D that simulates classic blue and red 3D glasses?

The video you showed was explaining channels, but channels are normally used to achieve something. For examples, they are sometimes used for some sort of effect, or to restrict effects to only be applied to specific subjects, or to protect subjects from effects that are applied to backgrounds, or to remove backgrounds. And I personally don't know anything about printing and printing colors, but channels have a relation to that too I think. Paint.net doesn't have channel modes, so it might have to achieve some effects in a different way than photoshop.

If you really do just want channels or alternatives to channels, well, paint.net's Levels is pretty nice since it allows color adjustments based on red green and blue, and so does Curves, and the plugin Curves+.