I could use some help creating a custom speedometer face plate!

It shows up as 737x729 pixels in size. It's smaller than my recommended 1125px square because its scanned at 200DPI and not 300DPI. Honestly - you'll notice the difference. 

Yes - as long as you save it in a file format which supports transparency like PNG.

Don't assume that. Better to make the area transparent if you want it to be transparent and white if you want it to be white.

This thumbnail links to the size canvas you should be working with (when viewed at 100%) to get that sized printout at 300DPI - see the yellow borders? Fill those right to the edge.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd309/NonScott/yhsjjie_161.png

I am going to be printing this new custom face plate  on a TRANSPARENCY (clear plastic sheet)

Is this image better----->

As far as printing goes printers 97% don't have white ink, there for any white area is clear basically, even if you print on colored paper the white areas will be the paper color I'm pretty sure ?

then I tried to duplicate that layer it did it but have no idea where it duplicated to, I'd click on layer properties the box would pop up and say layer3 where is layder1 & 2 ?

Well ... I sit here in Berlin and can't SEE, how your Desktop looks like. First: You must mark a layer before you can duplicate. Mark means clicking on the NAME of the layer, NOT in the checkbox beside. The checkbox is for toggling the visibility of this layer.

layers.jpg

Here I have a little help maybe for you: a PDN layer file with 3 layers: the cutted original, 4 Lamps only and black edged 6 Holes.

http://workupload.com/file/9Iv9vTZT

And don't forget: You have to sort the layers in the right sequence: lowermost the background image, then (upper) the numbers and so on.

Edited by IRON67

Well ... I sit here in Berlin and can't SEE, how your Desktop looks like. First: You must mark a layer before you can duplicate. Mark means clicking on the NAME of the layer, NOT in the checkbox beside. The checkbox is for toggling the visibility of this layer.

layers.jpg

Here I have a little help maybe for you: a PDN layer file with 3 layers: the cutted original, 4 Lamps only and black edged 6 Holes.

http://workupload.com/file/9Iv9vTZT

And don't forget: You have to sort the layers in the right sequence: lowermost the background image, then (upper) the numbers and so on.

Ok got it I understand now you have to name each layer, I saw that in the image you created with the bobbed wire, spikes , and numbers, when i clicked on properties all those layers were visible,

Thanks for telling me the order to create an image I started with the back ground but I became so frustrated I gave up and posted I assume in the right order what I wanted to do, correct?

When I clicked on http://workupload.com/file/9Iv9vTZT and downloaded it , opened it it Paint clicked on Layer properties it only shows this   post-146494-0-53636900-1459608040_thumb.

Edited by Buck Naked

Ok got it I understand now you have to name each layer, I saw that in the image you created with the bobbed wire, spikes , and numbers, when i clicked on properties all those layers were visible,

Thanks for telling me the order to create an image I started with the back ground but I became so frustrated I gave up and posted I assume in the right order what I wanted to do, correct?

When I clicked on http://workupload.com/file/9Iv9vTZT and downloaded it , opened it it Paint clicked on Layer properties it only shows this   attachicon.gifscreenshot.JPG

Thank you for having patience and sticking with me !!!

To see all layers in the layer window at once you have to press F7, not Layer Properties. And yes - I haven't added your new background because I wasn't sure about exact dimensions and trancparency, so it's your turn to add this layer and delete the unneccessary one.

BTW: In the next few hours and probably days I will not be active here so much because I have to handle two Photo Shootings and to sighting the results.

IRON said: And yes - I haven't added your new background because I wasn't sure about exact dimensions and trancparency,

What dimensions do you need?

Transparency?  I'm going to print the finished image on a transparency is that what you were referring to?

Good Luck with you shoot !!!!

I'm about ready to hang this up, I spend hours night after night with this program and end up with nothing accomplished or learned.

I have always been a quick study, I don't know whats wrong with me !!  The tutorials are very vague or for advanced users. there are no "for example if your wanting to do this"  It's almost like this program is written in a foreign language (Swahili)

Thanks to everyone ESPECIALLY IRON for your help but i feel your wasting your time as I am  wasting mine............Right NOW at this moment I admit DEFEAT !!!!

Edited by Buck Naked

Here I am again.

What I didn't know is this: Should your plate (black with violet cross) fit on the speedometer with the round edges of the cross or with the black edge of the picture? Beside this your image is a little bit to small and the edges of the cross are not good looking. You need a bigger version. A resizing will produce a very blurred image. I'm in fact a little bit tired after doing two shootings in two days. If you are patient enough, I can rebuild the cross tomorrow or so.

Oh, quit your whining already.....

YJoGdyf.png

dipstick   Very nice !! I don't mean to sound like I'm  whining, I just can't figure out this program !!!

The Pic you created is almost exactly what I am looking for. The only change if possible moving the numbers to the outer edge of face plate so they are all in black and reducing the purple cross to  the inside of the numbers, So no numbers over lap or touch the purple, and make the white areas in the 4 circle indicators transparent but leaving the black images inside of them ?

Thanks for taking the time to create that  !!!

Buck

See Image

Edited by Buck Naked

I have rebuilded the cross and the holes for the 4 lamps too and here is the PDN file with two layers to download:

http://workupload.com/file/mbxGnsm

THANKS IRON, Please see my comment to dipstick........... I like yours you have included where the needle stop pin goes. If you can get the black images in the 4 bottom  holes that would be awesome !!!!

Thanks Buck

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the version with the signs.

http://workupload.com/file/sanJZaG

The only change if possible moving the numbers to the outer edge of face plate so they are all in the black and reducing the purple cross to  the inside of the numbers,post-146494-0-15092300-1460520748_thumb.

Also can you reverse the 4 signs so the images in each sign is white or transparent and filling the signs circle in black? See picture attached   post-146494-0-04777200-1460508661_thumb.  

Edited by Buck Naked

Please be not angry, if I not promptly deliver what you want. Resize an image in a layer or invert a black and white picture is really not that hard.

IRON when you get a chance to make the changes would be appreciated, Thanks,

Buck

This really isn't a forum to get people to work for you (note rule 23); some people might throw something together for you out of the goodness of their heart or their own interest, but once you start making requests like this you're toeing the line. We're all volunteers here, and we're not really in this to do your bidding.

Why can't you make the change yourself? 

• Upvote 2

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Buck doesn't know how to do what he is after or else it would be done by now.

I am sure that once Iron has figured it out he will explain also how he got to the outcome & this will become a learning exercise for all esp. Buck. 

Dipstick didn't mean the whining comment literally. It is a particular type of humour that Aussies use quite often but is difficult to convey successfully in written form. 

As someone who tinkers with, restores, customises vintage motorbikes (restomod), I am keen to see the outcome guys. I do expect a photo of the finished speedo Buck & the rest of the bike too please :D

• Upvote 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Good work DS!
Personally, I'd go 'minimal' - just red lines for the important speed limits if you're being followed! (Generally best to be looking at the road ahead). ;)
The spider version could be fun if the leg (on 72) was the speedo needle. Full 3D cast spider leg, easy to do in low-melt alloy or even painted/filled polyester resin - one off, just carve it!

Buck - is there a matching rev counter? ... does the whole bike have a theme? ... have I misunderstood again and it's for a game not real bike?

Just thoughts - no wish to offend anyone. ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg