I could use some help creating a custom speedometer face plate!

Buck Naked

If someone can give me detailed directions on what I'd like to do I would greatly appreciate it !!

I will attach pictures so you can see what I'm needing.

I am creating a custom speedometer face plate. My final creation will be printed on a transparency. Paint has layers Right? Can I extract the red numbering from an existing pic or can I create my own ? * see attachment

Then can I incorporate an image with said numbering? again* see attachments

post-146494-0-95038700-1458943614_thumb.

post-146494-0-96284700-1458943642_thumb.

Thank you Buck

Can I extract the red numbering from an existing pic or can I create my own ? * see attachment

Then can I incorporate an image with said numbering? again* see attachments

Sure you can. But I hope, your original images has a better/bigger resolution/dimension.

First you have to select the red numbers by the magic wand tool with Flood Mode: global and a tolerance of ~45% (try it out). In case of selecting wrong pixels, you can subtract these with another selection (rectangle or Lasso).

Then you have to copy this and paste it into a new layer or a new image for further editing

Maybe its better anyway to search the right font an make the numbers completely new.

Edited by IRON67

Sure you can. But I hope, your original images has a better/bigger resolution/dimension.

First you have to select the red numbers by the magic wand tool with Flood Mode: global and a tolerance of ~45% (try it out). In case of selecting wrong pixels, you can subtract these with another selection (rectangle or Lasso).

Then you have to copy this and paste it into a new layer or a new image for further editing

Maybe its better anyway to search the right font an make the numbers completely new.

I have been using Paperport by Scan soft for years but it's really limited, although resizing and changing pixels is unlimited with Paperport. So to answer your question yes I can pull pics with better resolution.

Question: You said---->Maybe its better anyway to search the right font an make the numbers completely new.

Ok I probably can do that but I need the curve of the bar * in attachment there's 2 one is in red the other is in bobbed wire, In Paint could I create the bar accurately along with the numbers?

You can, however the examples you posted are hopelessly inadequate. You'll need to work with high resolution images on multiple layers to get good results. It is certainly possible if your skills are up to the challenge....

iD7S0cL.jpg

69unju0.gif

I have been using Paperport by Scan soft for years but it's really limited, although resizing and changing pixels is unlimited with Paperport. So to answer your question yes I can pull pics with better resolution.

Question: You said---->Maybe its better anyway to search the right font an make the numbers completely new.

Ok I probably can do that but I need the curve of the bar * in attachment there's 2 one is in red the other is in bobbed wire, In Paint could I create the bar accurately along with the numbers?

OK I have just spent the last hour trying to work with Paint !!! I'm frustrated !!!!!!!  was able to create new numbers, but I could get the magic wand to work once, Pick up color, recolor,eraser, paint brush, None would work !! So basically i put new numbers over the old numbers but couldn't edit the old numbers out, why is it that some tools work part time and some not at all ?

post-146494-0-66602400-1458951661_thumb.

FENDER FLUFF :beer:

Edited by Buck Naked

Well, it seems that you really new in doing image editing.

Of course you CAN'T edit text (or numbers) after applying to a layer like in a wordprocessor! Paint.net is an image editing software! You edit PIXELS, not chars.

A new bobbed wire you could create with the line tool in some single steps. First you have to create a layer with a circle as a temporary "help- or orientation layer", then you put in another layer a line for the first wire and bring it in a winding form and a second layer for the second wire.

You can add 3D-like effect for both by applying one of the bevel effects (built-in or as a plugin) and doing the same for spikes on the wires.

My fast example:

wires.png

BTW: All tools work accurate. Maybe you should invest a minimum of time for understanding the software and reading the help instead of use multiple exclamation marks.

In the meantime I've created a more accurate version as a PDN-file. It looks like this:

speedo.png

You can download it here: http://workupload.com/file/RUHuY3WN

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 2

Well, it seems that you really new in doing image editing.

Of course you CAN'T edit text (or numbers) after applying to a layer like in a wordprocessor! Paint.net is an image editing software! You edit PIXELS, not chars.

A new bobbed wire you could create with the line tool in some single steps. First you have to create a layer with a circle as a temporary "help- or orientation layer", then you put in another layer a line for the first wire and bring it in a winding form and a second layer for the second wire.

You can add 3D-like effect for both by applying one of the bevel effects (built-in or as a plugin) and doing the same for spikes on the wires.

My fast example:

wires.png

BTW: All tools work accurate. Maybe you should invest a minimum of time for understanding the software and reading the help instead of use multiple exclamation marks.

In the meantime I've created a more accurate version as a PDN-file. It looks like this:

speedo.png

You can download it here: http://workupload.com/file/RUHuY3WN

WOW How long did that take you 1 1/2 minutes? You obviously used my existing image ?

I will go back and reread the HELP section and try to understand the software, I don't understand a lot of the terminology and functions, when and where to use them or even how to use them !!!!!!!!!!!!   <--------  I had to use multiple exclamation marks.lol

So what you are saying is virtually every tool except the text, magic wand, and the color fill work on a per pixel basis sometimes multiple pixels ?

So the let me ask you this its better to work with your image as large as possible ? make all changes, additions, and alterations before you shrink it back down to the size needed? I'm talking the image not the canvas correct?

IRON67  I appreciate the help and time your giving me......... YES image editing at this level is all new to me......

AGAIN THANK YOU !!!!!!

WOW How long did that take you 1 1/2 minutes? You obviously used my existing image ?

I will go back and reread the HELP section and try to understand the software, I don't understand a lot of the terminology and functions, when and where to use them or even how to use them !!!!!!!!!!!!   <--------  I had to use multiple exclamation marks.lol

So what you are saying is virtually every tool except the text, magic wand, and the color fill work on a per pixel basis sometimes multiple pixels ?

So the let me ask you this its better to work with your image as large as possible ? make all changes, additions, and alterations before you shrink it back down to the size needed? I'm talking the image not the canvas correct?

IRON67  I appreciate the help and time your giving me......... YES image editing at this level is all new to me......

AGAIN THANK YOU !!!!!!

speedo.png

BTW I don't spreken the Doitch...........So eventually I'll create a new layer and import an image that I can alter at a pixel level, then I can take y6our image and combine the 2 layers or ?

Edited by Buck Naked

Copy of d247a5_af8a91f7f90743cda31ef2f366b383b0.jpg

Will i be able to take this image and remove the existing bobbed wire and numbers? Fill in the white areas that don't fit with my gauges configuration and overlay, combine the image you tweaked and created?

~5 minutes. I used a scaled version of your image only for adjusting the red help-lines (using plugin "Spoked Wheel") as a background layer an then deleted this layer

I don't understand what you mean.

Right.

BTW I don't spreken the Doitch.

On what planet the people speak that unknown language? My language is German.

So eventually I'll create a new layer and import an image that I can alter at a pixel level, then I can take y6our image and combine the 2 layers or ?

Sure. And once again: EVERY tool, every action of editing is at a pixel level. You create an image of thousands of pixels. Therefore you lost information, if you scale down and the image blurs if you scale up. If you don't want this, you have to create a vector graphic (SVG).

Will i be able to take this image and remove the existing bobbed wire and numbers? Fill in the white areas that don't fit with my gauges configuration and overlay, combine the image you tweaked and created?

I wouldn't do this. Its easier to create it completely new with new color gradients and all. Maybe you search for the original background image with Google Images and use a big version to cut out the relevant piece.

Edited by IRON67

First off thanks to IRON67,  dipstick, and Eli 

for you input and help. dipstick your killing me with your animated version ! let me ask you is that a GIF image?

To IRON67 is there a particular way of searching for "The" original version ? or just find the largest file ? I'd love to start from scratch but I think I'd be to old to ride my bike by the time I learned each tool their function or functions the definitions and usage for things like Noise, render, palettes, Gradient, elliptical,  and the plethora of plugins and their functions and usages !

Eli thank you for the spoked wheel plug in !

To ALL I feel it would take me way to long to create a new image One pixel at a time ?

HAPPY EASTER !!!

Feel free to post more images/creations and plug ins........  Thanks to all !

To IRON67 is there a particular way of searching for "The" original version ? or just find the largest file ?

Yeah, sure. If you have a name of the figure or the artist, its very easy. Or you try it with keywords like "death on a horse". If not (like me), you have to bring it in a meaningful form, so you are able to upload it to Google Image Search (click on the camera icon), so that Google can show you similar images of the image. Then you can download a bigger matching version, search again an find the biggest available version. So I did and here it is:

http://images.forwallpaper.com/files/images/4/43eb/43eb2ade/803961/autumn-background-welshdragon-vigilante-wallpaper-desktop.jpg

Now you can cut out and adjust color.

Eli thank you for the spoked wheel plug in !

BTW: I have told you that (Spoked Wheel) before, only without link, because searching a named plugin here is very easy.

...but I think I'd be to old...

So how old are you? I'm 49.

Edited by IRON67

If you alter the speedo, is this going to affect the accuracy? 

Nice discussion. Iron67, your English is very good. 

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

You're kidding ;) Some words and formulations are stumbling through my old brain and Google Translator does the rest.

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, sure. If you have a name of the figure or the artist, its very easy. Or you try it with keywords like "death on a horse". If not (like me), you have to bring it in a meaningful form, so you are able to upload it to Google Image Search (click on the camera icon), so that Google can show you similar images of the image. Then you can download a bigger matching version, search again an find the biggest available version. So I did and here it is:

http://images.forwallpaper.com/files/images/4/43eb/43eb2ade/803961/autumn-background-welshdragon-vigilante-wallpaper-desktop.jpg

Now you can cut out and adjust color.

BTW: I have told you that (Spoked Wheel) before, only without link, because searching a named plugin here is very easy.

So how old are you? I'm 49.

I'll be 54 in July............

I'll be 54 in July............

448kb is considered a large image file? what is the best format jpg, Gif, Tif, bmp, png etc etc............?

There is no "best" format. Each one has advantages and disadvantages. JPEG has no transparency and a lossy compression method but can shrink the filesize. GIF has a limited color palette and only yes/no-transparency, PNG has an Alpha-Channel for variable transparency and so on.

448 kB isn't a large file. Thats all relative and depends on the purpose and software limitations. Images of a 16 Megapixel DSLR like my Canon 60D with 5184 x 3456 pixels as a JPG has filesizes of ~ 5-10 MB.

I save my own creations always as PNG to avoid quality loss. Pictures for the web are in most case JPG, sometimes GIF (espacilly the animated versions), PNG too, but wasting memory space on webservers, if not very small.

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 3

If you alter the speedo, is this going to affect the accuracy? 

The speedo has to print out at 3.75"s Diameter

That's not file size that's image size (height x width in pixels).

A good resolution for printing is 300 DPI, so multiply your finished print size by 300 to get the image dimensions.

3.75" * 300 DPI = 1125 pixels x 1125 pixels.

If your image is significantly smaller than this I recommend you redo it.

Having created this image, don't compromise the quality by saving as a jpg - save as a lossless PNG after you've saved the master file as a PDN to preserve the layer structure.

Here is the original face plate in png @ 300ppi ---- post-146494-0-15320200-1459390204_thumb.

And here it is with it's value through the program I use to scan with ---- 

Questions: any part of an image that is the grey and white checkerboard will be transparent  correct?

Any area that is white will also be transparent when it comes to printing it correct?

Thanks

Edited by Buck Naked

On 31/03/2016 at 3:07 PM, Buck Naked said:

Here is the original face plate in png @ 300ppi ---- attachicon.gifSignature.png

It shows up as 737x729 pixels in size. It's smaller than my recommended 1125px square because its scanned at 200DPI and not 300DPI. Honestly - you'll notice the difference. 

Questions: any part of an image that is the grey and white checkerboard will be transparent  correct?

Yes - as long as you save it in a file format which supports transparency like PNG.

Any area that is white will also be transparent when it comes to printing it correct?

Don't assume that. Better to make the area transparent if you want it to be transparent and white if you want it to be white.

This thumbnail links to the size canvas you should be working with (when viewed at 100%) to get that sized printout at 300DPI - see the yellow borders? Fill those right to the edge.

yhsjjie_161.png

There is no "best" format. Each one has advantages and disadvantages. JPEG has no transparency and a lossy compression method but can shrink the filesize. GIF has a limited color palette and only yes/no-transparency, PNG has an Alpha-Channel for variable transparency and so on.

448 kB isn't a large file. Thats all relative and depends on the purpose and software limitations. Images of a 16 Megapixel DSLR like my Canon 60D with 5184 x 3456 pixels as a JPG has filesizes of ~ 5-10 MB.

I save my own creations always as PNG to avoid quality loss. Pictures for the web are in most case JPG, sometimes GIF (espacilly the animated versions), PNG too, but wasting memory space on webservers, if not very small.

5 hours tonight !!!!  This program is so not newbie friendly, I imported---->

then I tried to duplicate that layer it did it but have no idea where it duplicated to, I'd click on layer properties the box would pop up and say layer3 where is layder1 & 2 ?

then i tried to create a new layer NO DICE !!!

I tried to lay a layer over another so I could make sure it lined up right couldn't do that either !!!

WHAT PAINT WON;T LET ME ATTACH IMAGES IN IT'S OWN FILE FORMAT WOW !!

HERE IS what i want, this as the whole background----> post-146494-0-00619200-1459400228_thumb.

then ONLY the red numbers outlined in black layed on top of the above back ground---->

Then finally this incorperated on image----->

That shouldn't be to difficult for someone who knows what they are doing !!OH heres the original image and dimensions----->

I'm pretty sure I can reduce it down to size before printing on a transparency as long as the finished file size is obtainable by me.......

THANKS TO ALL WHO TRY THIS PROJECT FOR ME !!!!