Is there a way to make JPEG the default save format?

No.

Here's why: jpeg is a "lossy" format. That is, every time you open a jpeg and save it, you're losing quality. This is like making a photocopy of a photocopy, etc.

PNG and PDN, on the other hand, are exact formats. You can open and save them as often as you like without losing a single pixel of quality.

So, paint.net defaults to PNG format for single layer images and PDN for multiple layer projects. If you want to save as jpeg, you need to choose it by hand. This ensures that you won't lose quality in your image unless you specifically choose to do so.

• Upvote 5

• 4 weeks later...

No.

Here's why: jpeg is a "lossy" format. That is, every time you open a jpeg and save it, you're losing quality. This is like making a photocopy of a photocopy, etc.

PNG and PDN, on the other hand, are exact formats. You can open and save them as often as you like without losing a single pixel of quality.

So, paint.net defaults to PNG format for single layer images and PDN for multiple layer projects. If you want to save as jpeg, you need to choose it by hand. This ensures that you won't lose quality in your image unless you specifically choose to do so.

Yet it would be more convenient to be able to choose the file type by default ...

But not more convenient to have to recreate a lossless image from scratch because you accidentally forgot to change from the default.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 3 years later...
On 3/23/2016 at 2:51 PM, david.atwell said:

But not more convenient to have to recreate a lossless image from scratch because you accidentally forgot to change from the default.

I agree with above. Many times users only need to save an image once with no need to edit. As many users only want jpg files it would be good to be able to select a default file type to save. as dave.atwell said, I often have to go back and change from png to jpg, then if I forget to delete the png it causes future issues.

Please consider adding this feature.

In the Save As dialog:

Tab (switch to file type dropdown)

J (select JPEG)

Enter (you're done)

I'm not going to add an option for something that can cause data loss, especially since you can just practice the keyboard chord a little and be exactly where you need to be.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg