Sign in to follow this  
Hactar

[Resolved] Extreme Lag in "Save As" Browser Window

I really enjoy using Paint.NET, but just today I started having a terrible issue when saving files. No matter the image, when I try to save it the "Save As" window appears, but immediately stops responding. After 5-10 minutes of waiting, it will come to again, but the next button I press there (either to enter a folder, create a new one, or to actually press the "Save" button) will cause another 5-10 minutes of not-respondingness. I've looked in Task Manager during this time, and Paint.NET is not using much of my computer's CPU, RAM, disk R/W etc. even though there is plenty available. I have an SSD, so disk speed should not be an issue. I am running up-to-date Windows 10 with the latest version of Paint.NET (4.0.9; 4.9.5848.30436). Fortunately this issue first occurred with some minute pixel-art, so I was able to recover most of my work by taking a screenshot during the crash.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Hactar

Typically something like this happens if a save dialog remembers the last used folder and this folder is no longer available. If you used a removable drive pr a network path before then try to attach it again.

The folder certainly exists. It has not been renamed or moved or anything of the sort. If I wait a very long time, I can still save the file there (and it shows up in Explorer) but the lag is unbearable. Other programs using the folder (specifically my text editor, Notepad++) have no problems whatsoever.

EDIT: Loading a file from a different location (ex. my desktop) and trying to save opens the save dialog to my desktop, but still stops responding.

EDIT 2: It appears that this is not a Paint.NET problem. Using another (recently installed) .NET-based application, the "Save As" dialog has the exact same issue as in Paint.NET. I'll see if I can reinstall the .NET 4.0 framework, and if it helps.

EDIT 3: As it turns out, my computer only just received the Windows 10 November Update, which appears to have resolved the issue. That was very odd... Sorry to bother you all!

Edited by Hactar