Problems with paint bucket and text since new update

Ever since the update I've had a couple of problems.  If I use paint bucket, then click on the "select" function, a command called "finish paint bucket" appears in the history, and then paint bucket will subsequently no longer work. 

I've had similar problems when I add text to a layer.

Has anyone noticed this?

Edited by Tubo

Hi Tubo - welcome to thew forum :D

I'm not quite following you. Where do you find the "select" function? Can you give us a step-by-step guide to what you're doing?

"Finish Paint Bucket" appears in the History window to denote that the paint bucket fill has been committed to the canvas. Until you "finish" it, the active fill can be altered (drag click point, change color, etc,). This functionality has changed compared to paint.net 3.5. See here for more details http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/PaintBucket.html

I just mean the rectangle select tool -- but that's not the issue.  The issue is simply that when I use paint bucket once, and then "finish" using it, the paint bucket no longer works subsequently.  I have to close and restart the program to get it to work again.  The same thing happens after inserting text: when trying to add text again later, no text appears (although the cursor moves on, as if the text is being inserted somewhere.)  And I do make sure i've got the right layer selected, etc.

I never had this problem before the newest update.

Edit:   I think I've figured it out.  I just noticed that I had an "unfinished" selection in another open paint.net file.  I "finished" that selection, then went back to the file I was working on.  Then things worked properly, so far as I've tested.

Thanks for listening!

Edited by Tubo

If I have any selections on a canvas, that selection doesn't effect my other canvases that I might be working on. My paint.net lets me work on one canvas, even when I have active selections on other images/canvases.

When you want to use the paint bucket or add text, but then nothing shows up, try hitting ctrl + d on your keyboard, then try your text or paint bucket again.

There are many times where I visually couldn't see super small selections that I didn't know I had, and then I was confused as to why nothing would draw/paint on the canvas. Hitting ctrl + d will clear any selections you might unknowingly have.
Also, be sure you have the right selection mode, sometimes selection modes can cause things to function in an unexpected (and confusing) manner. http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ShapeSelectionTools.html

If you still have issues, or your only solution is to make sure you don't have selections on other canvases, then you might have stumbled on a bug/glitch.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1

If I have any selections on a canvas, that selection doesn't effect my other canvases that I might be working on. My paint.net lets me work on one canvas, even when I have active selections on other images/canvases.

When you want to use the paint bucket or add text, but then nothing shows up, try hitting ctrl + d on your keyboard, then try your text or paint bucket again.

There are many times where I visually couldn't see super small selections that I didn't know I had, and then I was confused as to why nothing would draw/paint on the canvas. Hitting ctrl + d will clear any selections you might unknowingly have.

Also, be sure you have the right selection mode, sometimes selection modes can cause things to function in an unexpected (and confusing) manner. http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ShapeSelectionTools.html

If you still have issues, or your only solution is to make sure you don't have selections on other canvases, then you might have stumbled on a bug/glitch.

Thanks much, will do.