Measuring distances?

pavlovmb

Hi.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've just started using paint.net.

How do you approach measuring distances, apart from using the ruler? Do you just measure by eye or is there any more exact approach? For example, if I want to combine to ellipses, like the attached example. This one I made by using the ruler to match the width but I adjusted the height by eye measure which of course isn't as precise. How do you approach stuff like this?

Thanks
Martin

post-145731-0-41251700-1454613722_thumb.

PDN displays the current cursor position in the right side, at the bottom of the window, which can be quite useful in doing measurements. Also, when you use the Shapes tool to produce an ellipse or other shape, the dimensions are displayed on the left side, at the bottom of the window. You can use the View menu to change the display to pixels, inches, or centimeters.

Edited by MJW

Hey pavlovmb - welcome :D

Selections also have their bounding rectangle and other info displayed in the Status Bar.

This plugin helps measure objects (groups of pixels on their own transparent layer) Measure Object

Another little trick you can try (without plugins) is to create a transparent layer on top of your image and use the line drawing tool to draw a line across the image.  Once again, Paint.net will give you the length at the bottom.  When you've got your measurement, simply undo or delete your layer.

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Measuring distances?