Assistance Needed! Picture Background Removal

Welcome to the paint.net forums!

Please read the forum rules (specifically #23): http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/2932-read-first-the-rules-yes-you-read-this-2010-3-15/#23

We are here to HELP you do what needs to be done, not do it for you.

Here is a tutorial to get you started: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/

Welcome to the paint.net forums!

Please read the forum rules (specifically #23): http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/2932-read-first-the-rules-yes-you-read-this-2010-3-15/#23

We are here to HELP you do what needs to be done, not do it for you.

Here is a tutorial to get you started: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/

Thank you for your help, but I just can't do it. Since this is against the rules, and I don't want to be left with a bad reputation, I want to delete my account. Is there any way to do that, or at least this post?

Is there a particular reason you can't do it? If you're having trouble following parts of the tutorial, we're always open to explain it further when needed

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I suspect "can't do it" translates to "would rather have someone else do it."

If I was able to do it myself I wouldn't be here would I?

Is there a particular reason you can't do it? If you're having trouble following parts of the tutorial, we're always open to explain it further when needed

It's mostly stuff with the outline. It always turns out really wonky and stuff.

How does that follow? You weren't here asking how to do it; you were here asking someone to do it for you. You seemed completely uninterested in information offered to help you learn to do it yourself.

How does that follow? You weren't here asking how to do it; you were here asking someone to do it for you. You seemed completely uninterested in information offered to help you learn to do it yourself.

You hadn't seen the original post before the information got deleted so how would you know? I definitely did too because your reply was way after I changed it. I will humbly accept that I should have read the rules of the site before posting this though, I guess I just got too desperate. But I never hinted I was uninterested in helpful information, I simply tried it, always failed a certain part of it and screwed it up, I have no ill will towards anyone on this site, It's just my own incompetence that's got me here.

I did see your original comment, and looked at the rather large number of cartoon pictures you linked to. You said something along the lines of, "Would some PDN expert please remove the background from these pictures because I can't." If you were interested in learning how do it, when offered help, you would have asked questions instead of responding with, "It always turns out really wonky and stuff," which is really just saying "I can't do it 'cause I can't do it." I understand why you want someone to do the work for you: removing backgrounds can be tedious and time-consuming. That's why you're likely going to have to do it yourself if you really want it done. Who wants to do someone else's tedious and time-consuming work?

EDIT: In case you doubt I read your original comment and looked at the linked-to cartoons, the first cartoon featured two girls discussing a prom. I even gave a few moments thought to the best way to remove the backgrounds.

Edited by MJW

When you make your outline, be sure to set the line/curve tool to bezier curve mode. You'll have better control and smoother curves that way. Also, set the line ends to round so you don't have to worry as much about matching the ends up perfectly.

It's also helpful to use a bright color that contrasts with the image so you can see what you are doing better.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I did see your original comment, and looked at the rather large number of cartoon pictures you linked to. You said something along the lines of, "Would some PDN expert please remove the background from these pictures because I can't." If you were interested in learning how do it, when offered help, you would have asked questions instead of responding with, "It always turns out really wonky and stuff," which is really just saying "I can't do it 'cause I can't do it." I understand why you want someone to do the work for you: removing backgrounds can be tedious and time-consuming. That's why you're likely going to have to do it yourself if you really want it done. Who wants to do someone else's tedious and time-consuming work?

EDIT: In case you doubt I read your original comment and looked at the linked-to cartoons, the first cartoon featured two girls discussing a prom. I even gave a few moments thought to the best way to remove the backgrounds.

All right, I understand. I'm gonna find a work around some other way, It's no biggie. I'll probably end up doing it myself in the end anyway, but I at least wanted to try. It was really selfish of me to ask something like that, so I hope I'm not coming off as a terrible person...

When you make your outline, be sure to set the line/curve tool to bezier curve mode. You'll have better control and smoother curves that way. Also, set the line ends to round so you don't have to worry as much about matching the ends up perfectly.

It's also helpful to use a bright color that contrasts with the image so you can see what you are doing better.

OK, that helps. Where can I find the bezier curve mode?

All right, I understand. I'm gonna find a work around some other way, It's no biggie. I'll probably end up doing it myself in the end anyway, but I at least wanted to try. It was really selfish of me to ask something like that, so I hope I'm not coming off as a terrible person...

I wasn't particularly bothered that you made the request, though because it's against the forum rules, it was unlikely to be useful to you. I was somewhat irked that you seemed to me to be offended that no one would do the work for you, and ungrateful for the offered help.  Perhaps I misinterpreted your response.

If you really want help learning to do it yourself, you might want to repost the link to the cartoons. My impression in looking at them is that becase of the flat-colored backgrounds, there may be methods for removing the backgrounds especially suited to them.

I wasn't particularly bothered that you made the request, though because it's against the forum rules, it was unlikely to be useful to you. I was somewhat irked that you seemed to me to be offended that no one would do the work for you, and ungrateful for the offered help.  Perhaps I misinterpreted your response.

If you really want help learning to do it yourself, you might want to repost the link to the cartoons. My impression in looking at them is that becase of the flat-colored backgrounds, there may be methods for removing the backgrounds especially suited to them.

I would but just in case somebody from the upload site notices this topic, they might report it to the creator and I may get in trouble with them.

I think this thread has probably served its purpose.  I'll go ahead and lock now.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.