Colour Highlights/Saturation Specifics

DarkHate

I'm trying to create and image in which all objects of one colour are left alone, and the rest of the image is in greyscale. I've already tried separating the image into red, green, and blue layers, but the blending is hard to get right and even if it is, it still doesn't give the desired effect. This was the only thing I could think of short of using the magic wand to select specific parts to modify. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do?

Maybe that could be an idea for future versions: Colour Filters

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, here's one my friend took on her mobile phone. This is the effect I'm looking for:

Green_by_x__perfect_crime__x.jpg

This is great for bloody horror type things

So does anyone have any idea what I can do to get that effect in PDN?

signature.jpg

This plugin basically does what your asking, but reversed. You would have to use it a couple of times before the colours that you want to stand out, are left alone amongst the grayscale. But this leaves the grayscale stuff choppy.

I think it would be a better idea to use Alpha Masking (just click on "the necessities" (under "Links on this page:" on the right hand side of the page) to get the plugin). Make the mask, duplicate the layer that your picture (the one you want to use this effect on) is on. Make the bottom layer "black and white" through the "adjustments" menu. Then use the alpha mask on the top layer.

A way to compare the two is to get you picture Duplicate the layer. Use Black and white on the top one and rename the layer B. On the bottom use Hue/Saturation (lower the saturation to '0'). Hide the top layer. Observe which you think is best (it should be layer 'B').

Hope that helped.

Is this what your looking for?

The magic wand approach was what I was trying to avoid from the beginning. It takes way too much work. That's why I'm trying to use colour filters. Thanks anyway

This plugin basically does what your asking, but reversed. You would have to use it a couple of times before the colours that you want to stand out, are left alone amongst the grayscale. But this leaves the grayscale stuff choppy.

I think it would be a better idea to use Alpha Masking (just click on "the necessities" (under "Links on this page:" on the right hand side of the page) to get the plugin). Make the mask, duplicate the layer that your picture (the one you want to use this effect on) is on. Make the bottom layer "black and white" through the "adjustments" menu. Then use the alpha mask on the top layer.

A way to compare the two is to get you picture Duplicate the layer. Use Black and white on the top one and rename the layer B. On the bottom use Hue/Saturation (lower the saturation to '0'). Hide the top layer. Observe which you think is best (it should be layer 'B').

Hope that helped.

I tried the plug-in approach. It isn't too bad, but there's room for improvement. Maybe if I play with it a bit. I'll try the masking when I get the time. Thanks for the help

Here's how the Plug-in worked:

Before

file.php?mode=view&id=2528&sid=645d385948d8275a86324626c8198f5d

and After

file.php?mode=view&id=2527&sid=645d385948d8275a86324626c8198f5d

This was a random gory image I found on Google to suit the purpose

I think the plug-in is a bit too sloppy for my tastes

I'm still open for other ideas if they're out there. Thanks.

17346_4e40a759c44fcc5786290cfdd6bf375b

17346_e421bff32660c0518043bc08c72f5fcd

signature.jpg

How's this?

After-3.png

Gatorade style:

After_green.png

To do this I used the Extract Channel plugin to get the "CIELAB a*" data. Then I used the Brightness/Contrast adjustment to make the lightest parts of the image white and the darker parts completely black. Then I used that as a mask on the original image and I was left with just (most of) the blood which I pasted over a copy of the original...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

There is very simple one-step solution, see my post with screenshot here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22749#p143464
That's the method I tried before, but it wasn't exact enough. (See screenshots above) Thanks anyway

To do this I used the Extract Channel plugin to get the "CIELAB a*" data. Then I used the Brightness/Contrast adjustment to make the lightest parts of the image white and the darker parts completely black. Then I used that as a mask on the original image and I was left with just (most of) the blood which I pasted over a copy of the original...

That works great. Thanks for pointing out the channel extract plugin. That'll be really useful.

Thanks

signature.jpg