How to convert a photo to a vector image

I am needing to convert a photo to a vector image so it is like a stencil. Currently I have been changing the photo to black and white and then using the ink sketch but am curious if there is a plugin or another better method. Also if there is a tool like mask in order to quickly remove the background. Currently I've just been using the paintbrush and removing the back ground with that.

Thanks!

Here's a little example, perhaps not with the best settings, of what you can achieve with Red's Two Tone Threshold:

Naty_two_tone_threshold.jpg

Its effectiveness may depend on what you do to the source picture before applying the two tone threshold. Sometimes the source image needs some kind of enhancement to make the final result look better. It all depends on each image you'll work on.

• Upvote 1

I am needing to convert a photo to a vector image so it is like a stencil. Currently I have been changing the photo to black and white and then using the ink sketch but am curious if there is a plugin or another better method. Also if there is a tool like mask in order to quickly remove the background. Currently I've just been using the paintbrush and removing the back ground with that.

Thanks!

If you are wanting to create a Vector Image, then I believe ShapeMaker Plugin would serve you well.

• Upvote 1

69unju0.gif

Also if there is a tool like mask in order to quickly remove the background. Currently I've just been using the paintbrush and removing the back ground with that.

If the background is a flat black or white then I recommend AlphaSpace

Hi. :)

You might like some of the replies in this thread : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/31781-line-art-from-a-color-image/
In post #10 Maximilian gave some steps, and apparently he's been working on some cool techniques based off of them, seen over here. If you like what you see and if you want more tips, he might be willing to share more suggestions.

You want to know better ways to remove backgrounds?
-- There is an alpha mask plugin.
-- The Two Tone Threshold plugin has already been suggested. (under the colors option, choose one of the options that has transparency.)
-- You might also like the steps from this thread : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32538-change-the-background-step-by-step-to-a-portrait/page-3#entry434564

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Since Fuzzy already pointed to my contributions in other threads, I may be able to help if what you want is along the lines of stencils or sketchy transformations. Several techniques and their variations can help achieve a nice stencil/sketchy result, but like I said in my previous post above it all depends on each image's particular features.