How to Install Plugins ×

WhichSymbolPlus (updated 12 Dec 2010)

• 2 years later...

I've only just discovered this very neat Plugin (after perusing your links under your sig) and I have to thank you Big Time <3  You have no idea how much time I've spent hitting every key on the keyboard over the years to find an image.  You are a clever chappie therethere.gif     

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks Pixey (nice new name you have there).  I'm particularly pleased with this plugin - several others of mine are... awful :(

• 3 years later...

@jagersvrouw,

You downloaded an older version. I hope you didn't get it from the Megalo Pack.

The most recent version can be downloaded here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110145-eers-plugin-pack/

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

^ This. Exactly. That old version is way out of date. If you downloaded it from the megalo swine you're in trouble:

Follow the link toe-head posted and read the warnings. Then follow the removal instructions.

4 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

@jagersvrouw,

You downloaded an older version. I hope you didn't get it from the Megalo Pack.

The most recent version can be downloaded here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110145-eers-plugin-pack/

Thanks for helping me out.  I did as you suggested and deselected those plug ins I won't need.. I had read enough warnings on this forum  not to use to download the  Megalo Pack . I checked in my history of downloads and saw that I had downloaded it from paint.net Software Piratescom.au. I didnot realise it was too old.

10 minutes ago, jagersvrouw said:

I checked in my history of downloads and saw that I had downloaded it from paint.net Software Piratescom.au.

The forum filter ate the url you posted, but that is the Megalo site.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Clean out your effects and file types folders. Remove every file. Then download what plugins you need from this forum.

I have copied the titles of the plugins to Word. and removed them from my laptop and backup. I have also uninstalled the paintnet programme, I will now  install the English version instead of the one in Dutch. That makes it easier to do tutorials and most of the plugins are in English anyway. I will download new plugins as I go along.

• 4 weeks later...

The version of this plugin in my Plugin Pack has been updated (Plugin Browser preview image)

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Hi @EER - I'm having a problem with Which Symbol.  I do have the latest version installed.  Of course - it could just me :mrred: .

In the Windings2, the 8th row is just making a rectangle on each of the shapes I choose.  I was trying to make the flowers (11th & 12th from the right) but ...... still get a rectangle.

Gremlins afoot perhaps :snow:

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

On 31/03/2017 at 8:46 PM, Pixey said:

In the Windings2, the 8th row is just making a rectangle on each of the shapes I choose.

I have the same Gremlins on my PC. :) Windings2 shows some clocks on my PC but I also get rectangles.

I wonder if WingDings has had a makeover :lol:

I'll have a look - thanks for the bug report.

Here's how the WingDings2 font looks in WhichSymbol+

WSpluswingdings2.png

Eighth row you say? Mystifying. If your font doesn't look like this can you please show me a screenshot. Thanks.

That is what they LOOK like. But when selected they show this (for example) A few more do the same thing.

On another note  - when WhichSymbolPlus is open - Alt Tabbing does not remove it from the primary display when looking at Edge. The only plugin that does this that I have found. Not an issue - just thought I would mention it. B)

Edited by AndrewDavid
Removed upload

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Ok. That's officially weird. Thanks for the explanation @AndrewDavid

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there is a problem in Webdings, Wingdings, WingDings 2 & 3 fonts. The affected area is most of the symbols between 128 to 160.

I'm unable to force these particular symbols to render, which leaves me with a bit of a conundrum :/

What I've chosen to do is simply make these symbols unavailable in the plugin. That's the downside :(

The upside is that there are now a greater number of extra characters which can be chosen (up to 2048). I've traded off using an even larger number because increased number greatly slows the font refresh time. And I mean GREATLY.

EG: this is character number 983 from the Times New Roman font. See the scroll bar of the right? ;)

WSplus.png

So people, how would you like to download this version and do a little testing for me?

• Upvote 2

I've downloaded it and will give it a try.  Is this just a problem with Windows 10?  It seems @Seerose had no trouble using Windows 7.  Many thanks @EER :pizza::beer:

30b8T8B.gif

EER - I gave it the run around last night - and yes it indeed loads the fonts much faster. However - just like the wingdings - what you see is not always what you get. Several font libraries contain symbols your plugin wont display. Just the same rectangular block. Its not an issue for me. Just thought you and other users should be aware of. And yes - the plug-in window still remains in front of my alt - tabs to Chrome.

Edited by AndrewDavid

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

14 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

What I've chosen to do is simply make these symbols unavailable in the plugin.

So they now don't show up in the plugin window. I think it's better to be able to see the characters that cannot be rendered. At worst, we just get a rectangle instead of a symbol.

Like you changed it, I will not be sure if a symbol I want to use is simply unavailable or if it's a case that I can just not find it.

I appreciate the extra characters, thank you.  

1 hour ago, AndrewDavid said:

... And yes - the plug-in window still remains in front of my alt - tabs to Chrome.

Also true for the latest Firefox, IE and Edge.

Xkds4Lh.png

Pixey: yes I suspect something changed in the way Win10 encodes these particular symbols.

AndrewDavid: many fonts do not support a full set of symbols. The unsupported characters are shown as an unfilled rectangle. That's expected behavior.

Djisves: I thought about leaving the symbols visible. I think that leaves users with the false impression these could be used. Not displaying them makes their selection status clear.

I'll look into the plugin window staying on top.