physicalhalluc

how i get Paint.NET portable

Hello,

i am searching for a portable version of the up to date paint.net.

• Where can I get a current secure portable version?
  • how can I create a portable version (updateable)?
  • there will be in future a portable version , and if so when can we expect (without / with dotNET-portable intigration*)?

*=Win10 Support

greez from german

Edited by physicalhalluc

1. Install .NET 4.6 (or newer) on whatever system(s) ("target(s)") you need to run Paint.NET on

2. Install Paint.NET 4.0.7 or newer on another system ("source")

3. Copy the installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\paint.net) from that system ("source") to a USB stick

4. Take the USB stick to another computer ("target(s)") that has .NET 4.6 (or newer) already installed and run PaintDotNet.exe

Starting with version 4.0.7, this is all you need to do. Microsoft made changes to the VC++ runtimes in Visual Studio 2015 which added an utterly ridiculous amount of complexity in the name of "simplifying" things (umm wut? see also: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/03/03/introducing-the-universal-crt.aspx )

However, as a side effect, it made it more practical for me to bundle it in the "app local deployment" sense than to include the VC++ runtime installer (which would add 14 MB to the download).

• Upvote 1

1. Install .NET 4.6.1 on whatever systems you need to run Paint.NET on

2. Install Paint.NET on a system

3. Copy the installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\paint.net) from that system to a USB stick

4. Take the USB stick to another computer that has .NET 4.6.1 already installed and run PaintDotNet.exe

Starting with version 4.0.7, this is all you need to do.

I too would like a portable version of PDN.

I dont understand, , , If its already installed on another computer, whats the point? (<- truly, not sarcasm!)

Or will it then run from usb on another computer w/o pdn?

-corne-

I too would like a portable version of PDN.

I dont understand, , , If its already installed on another computer, whats the point? (<- truly, not sarcasm!)

Or will it then run from usb on another computer w/o pdn?

-corne-

The part you bolded is about Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 which is required for paint.net to run. Not paint.net itself.

If the school or work computer for example, has .NET 4.6.1, then the paint.net install which you copied from your home computer would work.

Edited by Zagna
  • Upvote 1

1. Install .NET 4.6.1 on whatever systems you need to run Paint.NET on

2. Install Paint.NET on a system

3. Copy the installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\paint.net) from that system to a USB stick

4. Take the USB stick to another computer that has .NET 4.6.1 already installed and run PaintDotNet.exe

Starting with version 4.0.7, this is all you need to do. Microsoft made changes to the VC++ runtimes in Visual Studio 2015 which added an utterly ridiculous amount of complexity in the name of "simplifying" things (umm wut? see also: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/03/03/introducing-the-universal-crt.aspx )

However, as a side effect, it made it more practical for me to bundle it in the "app local deployment" sense than to include the VC++ runtime installer (which would add 14 MB to the download).

It is not realy portable mod...

but thanks for your introduction :-)

Someone loves Paint.Net but i miss a real uptodate Portable version of it.

I found a old version + Plugins (not updateable)

Can i run Paint.net basicly portable without installed dotNET?

No. paint.net requires .NET.

How i can made dotNET portable to run Paint.net portable on every systems without installed dotNET?

That is not a question for this forum.

Portable.NET is long dead. Mono pretty much replaced it. Also, you have misunderstood the word 'portable' in this context (Portable.NET). Portable means the source code can easily be used on a large variety of platforms; it has nothing to do with the "Portable Apps" concept you see in the Windows environment.

On 3/10/2016 at 8:48 AM, toe_head2001 said:

Portable.NET is long dead. Mono pretty much replaced it. Also, you have misunderstood the word 'portable' in this context (Portable.NET). Portable means the source code can easily be used on a large variety of platforms; it has nothing to do with the "Portable Apps" concept you see in the Windows environment.

After checking out Mono, I learned it is an alternative software platform for MS .NET (for the benefit of others reading this forum).  It doesn't appear to be an alternative to Paintdotnet.  

Mono is used by wine in Linux. It is limited however. So far, I can't get any PDN version higher than 3.5.11 to run. A true portable version would be something like "AppImage" often used in Linux. It would self-contain all required dependencies. 

Paint.NET is probably not compatible with Mono, even on Windows, primarily because its System.Windows.Forms implementation is not fully compatible with .NET's.

...NK, I am not a technical noob. I have a B.S. in Applied Computing, and have been a programmer/analyst for well over 40 years. I adore Paint.NET and think it is the most intuitive windows app I have ever encountered.

I am certain that there is great interest in a portable version of Paint.NET that will run for users without installation on machines which they don't have admin rights on, because of its quality. However,  despite many websites claiming the contrary, Paint.NET is NOT necessarily portable to all machines. I tried to run its current version on a school computer, which only has .NET version 4.0 installed (I am a grad student). It told me I had to have .NET version 4.6. I then edited the INI file just to see what would happen. Paint.NET displayed an error and quit. I then googled for a portable version of the .NET framework. Couldn't find one. Trying to figure out how to create a portable .NET framework package myself, I poked around in the registry on a machine I do have admin rights on. All .NET registry entries are in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive, which is accessible only to admin accounts.

So, I currently have four options:

1. Only run a version of Paint.NET that requires only the version of the .NET framework that is installed on the machine I want to run it on. Works but less features and not upgradeable.
  2. Only run Paint.NET on a machine that I have admin rights on.
  3. Create a virtual image of windows for a Type 1 hypervisor such as VirtualBox, specifically for Paint.NET, which I have admin rights on. Big and Slow.
  4. Wait for Rick to come up with a huge Paint.NET portable package that includes a portable version of the .NET 4.6 framework. He probably say, "bahaha, not anytime soon".

<:'(

Slowly

Edited by Slowly
clarifications

2 hours ago, Slowly said:

He probably say, "bahaha, not anytime soon".

^^ this ;)

You forgot 5. Moan at the tech-heads to get the target computer system upgraded to .NET 4.6.

I would like a portable version,

I already have all .NET Framework versions so I don't need to install that.

I just need a ZIP file that has all PDN files in it.

@Rick Brewster Is there a switch for enabling portable version, like "--portable" argument or empty "Portable" file in PDN directory?

If you can release a portable version, that would be really great.

I don't mind if you don't release a ZIP version (I can extract the setup files myself), I only need a trigger that will enable Portable mode.

Edited by existintin

2 minutes ago, existintin said:

Will it remember settings on a different PC on USB stick?

No, the settings are stored in the registry.

I've created a utility to work around this limitation though:

23 minutes ago, existintin said:

I would like @Rick Brewster to collaborate with PortableApps.com so users can easily download & install portable version

Rick has already made it extremely easy to create a portable copy of paint.net. Why would he devote more time to it?