Suggestion : Saving Options

Hi there, my first post contains suggestions :D

I mainly use paint.net to create wallpapers quick. After awhile it gets tiresome to save, select folder and image format.

- I never use .png format, ever. Wouldn't it be neat to put an option for default saving format for new/copy&pasted images ?

- Save dialog could have a dropdown for favorite / previously used folders. Adobe Reader DC kinda has it, but you first select a folder from a list then the dialog appears, could be tiresome too.

Thanks for reading.

Being able to set a different default format won't ever happen, and the reasoning behind this is important. PNG is a lossless format and is safe to use "by accident." JPEG is lossy and not "safe" to use by accident, which would easily be the case if you were able to change the default. I've detailed this before in-depth, although I can't find the post. Your best bet is to get in the habit of pressing Tab and then J if you want JPEG to be the format you're saving in. Learning keyboard shortcuts will save you tons and tons of time in Paint.NET (and in most other software).

Save dialog already has the functionality for "favorites". It's a Windows feature. The Save dialog is a Windows component.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I had the same Suggestion and got a similar reply. But many applications refuse to accept such high sizes as PNG - the jpg-format is only a tenth of PNG in size! I also believe it was useful to give the possibility to change the default format - only the user can decide which quality is required.

My inquiry is found under

Saving of Image

Regards, Lepi

It's 1/10th (or whatever) of the size because it throws away a lot of image data that has a probability, depending on the quality level you choose, of not being noticed by a human. It works well for photographs but not for other types of images.

PNG is always safe as a format for Paint.NET to save into. If you discover that you accidentally saved as a PNG instead of JPEG, it's no big deal! Just re-save as a JPEG and delete the PNG.

But if the opposite happens and you accidentally save as a JPEG because you set the default to JPEG and you forgot to specify PNG and just clicked through the Save UI, then you're in trouble. You will have to do reconstruction work on your image, or even redo the whole thing, in order to make sure it has the fidelity that you now require.

Imagine that you spent 6 hours working on an engineering diagram with arrows and stuff, and now they look all smeary because you set the default to JPEG. And there's a high likelihood that you'll forget that you set the default to JPEG (not because you're forgetful or stupid but because we all forget trivial unimportant details all the time), and you'll be shaking your fist at Paint.NET for allowing this to happen.

I am not going to change this. It has major risk of data loss attached to it.

(JPEG is the default if you're saving an image that was a JPEG when you opened it. This is true until you add layers, at which point the default immediately jumps to PDN which is the only format capable of preserving layers. NO ACCIDENTAL DATA LOSS is a prime directive for computer software.)

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg