paint.net 4.0.7 is now available!

Rick Brewster

Whew! I originally started work on getting Paint.NET’s title bar area to respect the Windows 10 TH2 “accent color” functionality (which is NOT easy for a classic (non-universal / desktop) app … how about some documentation, Microsoft?!). Along the way I found (and rediscovered) many important performance issues that I’ve now fixed. I also finally found some fixes for a handful of rare and vexing startup crashes, including one that’s caused by a silly bug when WPF’s data binding system initializes (it’s a bug in WPF). Oh, and there’s now a Swedish translation. Various things related to the Shapes tool have been improved as well.

As usual, you can download the update directly from the website, or you can use the built-in updater via Settings –> Updates –> Check Now.

Hare are all the the new fixes and changes:

• Changed: .NET Framework 4.6 is now required, and will be installed if necessary
  • New: Swedish translation
  • Fixed: Title bar now uses the Windows 10 accent color
  • Fixed: Floating windows were not remembering their locations on some non-English systems
  • Improved: Performance of "committing" (finishing) is now up to 10x faster, which greatly improves responsivness for quick drawing operations
  • Improved Shapes tool quality when drawn without antialiasing, with line styles, and at 1 pixel brush width
  • Improved Shapes tool rendering performance on CPUs with many cores (8+)
  • Improved: Installing a "complex" custom Shape no longer causes very long hangs at app startup
  • Improved: Image->Resize is now much faster
  • Fixed: Image->Resize would sometimes cause the main window to flicker or lose focus
  • Fixed: Image->Resize would sometimes do nothing instead of resizing the image to a very large size
  • Fixed: Labels on the vertical ruler were misleading because they were on the wrong side of the tick mark
  • Improved the ruler's performance
  • Fixed: Edit->Copy now works if the data copied to the clipboard is larger than 2GB
  • Fixed: Page Up, Page Down, Home, and End keys now work in the main canvas area
  • Fixed: Paint.NET will no longer incorrectly block Windows from restarting
  • Fixed: Rotate/Zoom no longer crashes on very large images
  • Improved: Reduced CPU/GPU and battery use when the app is not in the foreground
  • Improved: Reduced CPU and battery use of the UI for the Move and Shapes tools
  • Added: Custom Shapes XAML now supports cardinal splines via PolyCurveSegment (a new PathSegment type)
  • Improved: Various performance improvements
  • Fixed: Several rare or uncommon crashes

Enjoy!

• Upvote 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks for the update but I have an installation issue.

After the stage where it says it will install Dot net Framework and Paint.NET, it goes to the part where it extracts the files, then I noticed from the Task Manager that the "paint.net.4.0.7.install.exe" just disappears suddenly and the installation never completes. I have tried multiples times but to no avail.

I am using Windows 8.1 Pro, 32 Bit.

As of this point, I'm still on v 4.06.

Ishi, well that's not fun. Can you do this for me? If you go to %TEMP% (as in, open up an Explorer window and type %TEMP% into the address bar and then press enter), you should see the following 3 files: pdnSetupShim.log, PdnMsiInstall.log, and pdnSetupNgenInstall.log

Can you attach the contents of pdnSetupShim.log? Just reply and paste its contents into a quote or code block.

Also, there is 1 major known issue with this 4.0.7 update: drawing vertical lines by holding shift with the Shapes tool will either not work or crash. I'll be releasing a 4.0.8 update, either tonight or tomorrow morning, to address this. Until then, sadly, don't draw vertical lines if you've installed 4.0.7.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Here it is. The contents of PdnSetupShim.log

--- paint.net SetupShim starting, lpCmdLine='/suppressReboot', nCmdShow=10
CoInitialize(NULL) returned 0
Checking OS requirement
    bIsWin7SP1 = true
    bResult = true
EnsureOSRequirement() returned 0
Called EnsureTrustedInstallerIsEnabledAsync()
Checking .NET requirement
    bIsNetfx46Installed = false
    bIsSupportedNetfxInstalled = false
    bIsNetfxInstallerPresent = true
PreInstallPrompt() returned true
InstallNetfx() returned 5100
Sleep(1000)
--- Exiting, nReturnVal=13ec

I also noticed that there are a number of HTML files related to .NET Framework 4.6.1 inside the Temp folder.

I will attach one of those HTMLs. Opening them via web browser says that a specific Windows update is needed to install .NET Framework 4.6.1. I will be installing a standalone installer of one such update called KB2919355 before attempting another install of PDN 4.0.7 that attempts to install .NET Framework 4.6.1 for me.

I have also attached a screenshot of the install error.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Setup_20151231_121804596.html

post-104825-0-08887400-1451536469_thumb.

Edited by Ishi