Stereoscopics from ONE 2D pic

I am thinking...

1. You need a stereoscopic image to start.(I found one in Wikipedia)

2. Duplicate it and change the layers mode to multiply ( you can see the image below it)

3. Select this layer and move the image all the way to the left in a way that the main subjects superpose.

4. Change the mode back to normal

5. Crop your pictures and save them as a gif image...

yokohama4maidschr...themum-9-4de2ac4.gif

I used this settings (I am not very good with gifs so I am sure the settings and the layout can be improved)

yokohama-4de2ac2.png

EDIT: Looking at the samples you gave, I think that they have erased the backgrounds of the main subjects to accentuate the effect. You may want to experiment and please post a sample if possible. I would like to see it.

Edited by Eli

Hi
Thx for the reply.

The aim was to give a 3D effect from a SINGLE image.
I tried with my own method:
- separate subject and background
- for a few layers (here, 7), pan background in a way while rotate subject in the other way (and while zoom subject to hide the cut in the background)

Maybe it's not clear, even in French it wouldn't ;)

Result:

ellen%20page%203D.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68247727/ellen%20page%203D.png

• Upvote 2

Hi

Thx for the reply.

The aim was to give a 3D effect from a SINGLE image.

I tried with my own method:

- separate subject and background

- for a few layers (here, 7), pan background in a way while rotate subject in the other way (and while zoom subject to hide the cut in the background)

Maybe it's not clear, even in French it wouldn't ;)

Result:

ellen%20page%203D.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68247727/ellen%20page%203D.png

I think you are very close to getting what you want here. What I noticed in the sample images of your first link, is that those images had multiple layering effects going on. They had a background layering effect, a subject that the effects were revolving around, and things in front of the subject that were rotating, such as plants/vegetation.

You have the rotating effect going on with your picture, try add more rotating things in front of the girl and around the girl to give more depth and dimension to the image.

I tried with my own method

I guess you are on the right way.

First you have to identify objects with the same distance to the observer and separate them to there own layer.

Then depending on the distance of the layer you have to move these layer.

Larger distance means a larger move.

The second trick is to enlarge the objects with a smaller distance to cover empty areas of the the layers with the larger movement.

Eli: You did the wiggle effect the first time? The result is great. The trick with the static bars works even better in clips. Google for "Split depth gifs".

midoras signature.gif