anyone using CreateSpace[by Amazon] templates?

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my file [downloaded from CreateSpace] or my inability to use/understand the "view" in Paint.Net. I have used layers in projects prior - but not with a template. OK, so I open the template file, select my image size, and then proceed to add layers - sizing them the same as the template. What happens as I add layers is the first layer [the template] 'shrinks' in size. I'm not sure WHAT I am doing to cause this to happen?

One other question - when I open the template - the image or actual template does not 'fill' the layer - there is a white border around it. Should I crop the white off? to maintain the actual size I need?

I am working with a book template 6x9 - actual size is 12x18. It's a PNG file. [tried to attach, error says it's too big]

THANKS!

Could you point us to the download directly, or maybe host the file on a service such as mediafire.com, because, and this could be me being thick, I can't find any image file to download. Nor any mention of a 'template'.

A little more direction would be a great help. Many thanks :).

Also, whilst your here, I might be able to help a little:

What happens as I add layers is the first layer [the template] 'shrinks' in size.
When you add your layers (can I assume an import?), Paint.NET will automatically resize the canvas to the size of the imported material, therefore if your 'template' is smaller than the import then it will appear smaller as zoom level is adjusted to fit the entire canvas in view. The original image has not been resized per se.

Does this make sense? When your canvas is adjusted to the larger image, the zoom level gives the impression of a smaller original image.

...when I open the template - the image or actual template does not 'fill' the layer - there is a white border around it. Should I crop the white off? to maintain the actual size I need?
If the white border that you speak of is part of the template - as in, you open the template solely and there it is - then that is up to you. Paint.NET does not add anything unless it's a canvas resize from a paste, similar to the import: if your paste is larger than the current canvas, PDN will ask you how to proceed, one of the available options is a resize of the canvas, so a white border may appear from this.

Again, does this all make sense? Does this help?