Opening .rif files?

I have some .rif files (NOT .rtf) from an old CorelDraw program (from Windows 98) that are illustrations for a book my wife made. She wants to get back to these but we can't find a program to open them and so far I haven't been able to get Paint.net to. Can anyone tell me if it will and if so, how? Do I need a plugin for them? I'm new at this so asking questions. Am attaching one as an example.

It isn't impossible.  Paint.NET does support File Type plugins, so some enterprising plugin developer might take a stab at making a plugin that would load those files, assuming the filetype spec is somewhere publicly available.

I, however, am not a plugin dev.  So that person would not be me.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.