How does Paint.NET stand up to Adobe Photoshop?

I decided to give it a try for a school paper, and here are the results which are quite surprising seeing as how Paint.NET doesn't have a very smart engine for dealing with layers, anti-aliasing/paths and selections, gradients, etc.

Flipping back and forth through the two images, you can see that Paint.NET actually served very well though of course it jsut can't be Adobe Photoshop in its present state

Create a blank, 400x400 pixel white canvased image

Make a thick black circle

Add a pink inner ring to the black circle

Add a gradient fading downward using green, yellow, and white to the inside of the pink ring

Add text: "JESUS[bREAK]IS NOBODY'S[bREAK]SAVIOR"

Add a black outline to the text, thicker on the bottom

Add a gradient to "JESUS" text from orange fading downward to green

Add a gradient to "IS NOBODY'S" text from green fading downward to yellow

Add a gradient to "SAVIOR" fading from light blue down to blue

Add curved text to top of circle "LOVING ALL RELIGIONS", pink color, with a white outline and then an outerline being black (thicker on the bottom)

Using above preferences, changing the text to "SAVE YOURSELF" and the pink to a cynober, curve these words on the bottom of the circles so that they are facing up on the inside of the circles

Paint.NET

d2.png

Adobe Photoshop

11903060_400x400.jpg

Yes, of course paint.net is not better than photoshop, but you must remember that there are many who cannot afford photoshop and that paint.net is a free program which is easy to use and that everyone can use :) If you like photoshop better, than use photoshop. :roll: Btw, I am pretty sure that some of the more experienced users of paint.net can create the same effect as that picture you have.

(P.S. Jesus is MY savior)

dairymansigforum6fy.png

sigbar1.png

(P.S. Jesus is MY savior)

Same here! It's funny how a person with the username of "truth" could make such an untrue statement... :P

But regarding your comparison, truth, there are a few things I've found in Paint.NET that require a different approach than you'd take with PhotoShop, mainly due to aliased curved selections. For instance, the rings around the logo should be drawn with the Circle shape tool instead of a filled selection.

Like so:

JesusButton.jpg

I don't have the patience to do the curved text. Right now it requires rotating each letter individually, and you have to get it right the first time, because rotating a rotated object results in serious quality loss, as you can see from those letters up there.

Other than that though, it's pretty close. The font is different, and the message inside is different, but for a free program with an approachable interface, it's plenty powerful. Take a gander at my website, my sig, and my avatar, PDN can make PhotoShop quality images for quite a few tasks.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Edited by Rick to remove off-topic comments

As for your graphic, that is great quality. How did you get the gradients? I couldn't get the gradients to work in my version of Paint.NET from what I tried. I think I will redo the graphic and see what I come up with! You did a great job.

I did the gradients using this method: Rick's Gradients

For the text, the closest font I had to the one you used originally was Smartie CAPS, which happens to be a hollow font. So I made the font black which resulted in a black outline. Then I made a layer behind the text and made my gradients in that, using the same method as before. Then I used the Magic Wand with higher tolerance to overselect the insides of the text, then inverted the selection and deleted the extra on the gradient layer.

*Warning! Religious content!*

So, I had this answer all nice and typed out, but really, this is no place for an argument about religion (I dun wanna be ban! :wink:). Suffice it to say, I found your assertion in your image both offensive and inaccurate, and felt compelled to say something. I was not attacking your beliefs, I was defending mine.

Now, I think a truce is in order. I never had anything against you, just something against your comment about my Savior :P. The Paint.NET forum sees users from many countries, all with different backgrounds and beliefs. Let's all work together like one happy family! :D

~ Becoming the Archetype

I don't know how you managed, however, to get the antialiased INSIDE gradient of the text, that is impressive

The outside edge and the gradient is fine and I can see how it's possible, but how did you manage to get an antialiased text showing a gradient?

Would be great if we could get a really great effect with the rotating text tool...but that's a LOT of manual work

Yeah, it's bunches of work. Also, you have to make sure you don't overselect the text by too much, otherwise you'll overlay one letter with the transparency of the selection you're rotating.

I don't think I have the patience to do it...

~ Becoming the Archetype