How to use a black figure as selection tool? Don't how to express my question.

Hello,

it's me again, the guy with the bad english :D

Again it's difficult for me to ask my question.

First look at the attached file. I heard that pictures speaks more then 1000 words :)

How can I do that faster, cleaner and more professional?

To achieve that I just used a second layer, incresead transparency and used eraser.

What I want:
Let's say I have a black "X" and I have a image.I want to fill the X with the image and delete

everything else.

I hope you understand my question.

Thank you.

Kelti

EDIT: Bonus question. Answer it and get 10 internet points!

How to remove anti aliasing?

post-140633-0-00448400-1450383989_thumb.

Edited by kelti

Hi. :)

Try the Alpha Mask Plugin.

If you need help on how to use the plugin, feel free to ask.

When you say remove anti aliasing, do you mean make things more pixelated? See the paint.net tool bar to toggle anti-alias on and off  : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/Toolbar.html

Or, do you want to smooth pixelated edges? To smooth edges try the Feather plugin and AA's Assistant Plugin.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Another, very similar method, is to use Effects>Object>Paste Alpha from BoltBait's plugin pack.

Copy the mask to the clipboard (either with Ctrl-C or with Edit>Select All followed by Edit>Copy).

Go to the image (or switch to the image layer) and run Effects>Object>Paste Alpha. Set Alpha Source to Clipboard Alpha.

Note: this is using the alpha values in the mask, not the color. If the non-transparent region in the mask were white instead of black, it would work the same. If the mask were white and black instead of transparent and non-transparent, the method would be slightly different.

Assuming the the mask and image are in different layers of the same image, you can select the transparent region of the mask with the Magic Wand,switch to the image layer, and use Edit>Erase Selection. This is easy, but isn't usually as good as the first method, since it will not use the partial transparency of the mask edges to produce soft edges in the masked image

• Upvote 1

Here is another easy method:

If your mask is black and white (with shades of gray as soft edges), select your mask layer and press F4 to edit the layer properties. Change the blending mode to Multiply.

If the image came out opposite of what you wanted, use Adjustments > Invert Colors to fix it.

Be sure to flatten your image to make the change permanent.

The only problem with this method is that the resulting image will have your image on a black background. You can easily cut that out with a magic wand.