How to make Brush Tool not gray?

Can someone tell me how to make the brush tool an actual solid fill, even tho its marked as such it still is gray at 1 pixel length, thanks

also i cant seem to figure out to move layers, ie move the background layer on top of a new layer

Once you click on the brush tool there is a toolbar where you can select the width of the brush and next to it is the fill where you can select solid and so on.

And you can also choose what color of the brush from the colors swatch.

You can move layers down by pressing the small down arrow on the layers box. Unless you mean merging? if you mean that then that is simple just press the merge button on the layers box and they will combine.

no thats what i mean... the solid fil is not a solid fill unless i go over it like 3-4 times how can i fix this

It may sound stupid but Make sure the brush is set to solid.

And just make the width bigger of the brush.

set to solid? where is that setting, because if your refering to fil, i already said it is on solid.

also i dont want to make to width bigger, i want to use one black pixel at a time, not gray, i guess something like how paint works

Check that the colour you're using has an alpha value of 255, full opacity. It sounds as though your colour is slightly transparent, hence the need to reiterate the draw to solidify it.

You can access the fine-tuning of your colours via the More button located on your Colour window.

Check that the colour you're using has an alpha value of 255, full opacity. It sounds as though your colour is slightly transparent, hence the need to reiterate the draw to solidify it.

You can access the fine-tuning of your colours via the More button located on your Colour window.

hm nope its at 255, its mostly the edging that greyed out

im making black and whites, so im trying to get sharp lines to vectorize them

A 1px width line you say? If they are to be straight lines with no curvature, then maybe switching from anti-alias ( :AntiAliasingOn: ) to alias ( :AntiAliasingOff: ) rendering would solve the problem. You can find this option at the top next to the Fill options.

When at this brush width, anti-aliasing has a tendency to apply itself to the edges of straightened lines, which can be annoying for someone who wishes for crisp lines.

A 1px width line you say? If they are to be straight lines with no curvature, then maybe switching from anti-alias ( :AntiAliasingOn: ) to alias ( :AntiAliasingOff: ) rendering would solve the problem. You can find this option at the top next to the Fill options.

When at this brush width, anti-aliasing has a tendency to apply itself to the edges of straightened lines, which can be annoying for someone who wishes for crisp lines.

hm, not sure why but restarting fixed this, i had these settings on before and was trying everything with no vail, thanks for your help all

also is there anyway to make eraser erase to white instead of transparent

and can i change hotkeys somewhere?

No, sorry. If you want it to erase to white, then use the Paintbrush with a white colour. The only way.

As for customisable shortcuts, that's also a 'no'. It has been suggested before, and Rick Brewster, the lead developer, doesn't wish to have Paint.NET too confusing for newer users with numerous and endless configurations*. Not to mention the complication of overlapping shortcuts because of improper configuring.

*I cannot find the exact quote from him, rather a comment made by david.atwell, of which Rick had no complaints against.

No, sorry. If you want it to erase to white, then use the Paintbrush with a white colour. The only way.

As for customisable shortcuts, that's also a 'no'. It has been suggested before, and Rick Brewster, the lead developer, doesn't wish to have Paint.NET too confusing for newer users with numerous and endless configurations*. Not to mention the complication of overlapping shortcuts because of improper configuring.

*I cannot find the exact quote from him, rather a comment made by david.atwell, of which Rick had no complaints against.

bummer, thanks