How would I go about creating this light texture in PDN?

hmmmmm....

:idea:

plugins needed:

feather

align object

drop shadow

do a search to find them

1 do a rounded rectangle on a canvas,

2 on a new layer do another, smaller rounded rectangle.

3 align both of them to center.

4 take out the triangles in the larger box,

5 and select it with the magic wand tool

6 go to the top layer and right click on the smaller rectangle

7 create a new layer, and fill the selection with #cccccc

8 do not deselect

9 press ctrl-I

10 fill with #333333

11 deselect

12 gaussian blur the layer, 2 or 3 pixels

13 select the #cccccc color shape, and inver the selection

14 go to the #333333 layer again, and press delete.

15 merge down

16 feather on settings of 1 size, 2 strength

17 duplicate layer

18 run drop shadow on the lower layer, with no offset, a blur radius of 2, and do not preserve the original image.

19 make a new layer below the drop shadow layer, and draw a cream colored rectangle on it, small enough that it can't be seen outside the frame, and large enough that it completely covers the inside of the frame

20 make a new layer below the cream rectangle layer, and fill that completely with #cccccc

21 flatten (ctrl-shift-F)

22 you're done!

Hope this helps! :D

edited to add the names of plugins needed

Click on my signature image for my gallery | hmmmm...

I'm afraid I have nothing larger, as this is a texture used in Unreal Tournament and that is its original size. Which is why I'm trying to figure out how to make my own, because I need much more higher resolution textures for UT 3. Anyhow here is a different texture, but the goal is the same. I wish to learn how to make these sci-fi/modern light textures:

lightexample2yn4.jpg

By deathbliss at 2008-06-13

Thanks for the tutorial ZizOiz! I'm going to try it now...

- Deathbliss

Here's what I get ZizOiz:

lightexp3uz8.jpg

That's close, but it should look more like a real-life object, if such a thing existed. It should appear as if a light of come sort is under a translucent panel, mounted on a metal plate. Considering that, how would I add these details to this image?

I really do appreciate the tutorial though! I'm one step closer to my goal...

- Deathbliss

hmmm...

Try making it on a maximum of a 100 px by 100 px image, and make the rounded rectangle start at 1,1 and end at 100,100, and the smaller one start at 5,5, and end at 96,96. I think that will bring you closer to the size of the original image, as well as make the drop shadow and blurs work much better. If the gaussian blur layer does not darken the image enough, also try duplicating the layer. Hope this helps! :D

Click on my signature image for my gallery | hmmmm...

In order to make this compatible for game usage, I need to use sizes like 32x32, 64x64, 128, 128, etc. Also I'd like to make a high res version, more realistic version of the texture. Here's an example of the realism which is my goal, courtesy of Hourences:

lightscombinedqc5.jpg

- Deathbliss

This is totally different than the image in your 1st post, so which one is it?

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Sorry for the confusion... Each image is of the same kind of thing that I'm trying to make. A scifi/modern light texture, suitable for placing on a static mesh and using for a light source. The first image was from UT, the second from UT 3, and the third from UT 2004. They may be different images, but the idea is still exactly the same. The last two images were provided to give a higher resolution image to work with that is still in the same subject.

I hope this clarifies things... Basically I'm not really looking to copy any of these images specifically. I'm trying to learn how to make this kind of image in PDN. Each of the three images has the same basic elements. There's a light source or panel, framed and mounted on some sort of metal. This is what I wish to learn how to do. The final texture can be based off these three, or be something completely different. It just has to be a high resolution light texture - or light panel - suitable for putting on a static mesh.

- Deathbliss

Sorry for the confusion... Each image is of the same kind of thing that I'm trying to make. A scifi/modern light texture, suitable for placing on a static mesh and using for a light source. The first image was from UT, the second from UT 3, and the third from UT 2004. They may be different images, but the idea is still exactly the same. The last two images were provided to give a higher resolution image to work with that is still in the same subject.

I hope this clarifies things... Basically I'm not really looking to copy any of these images specifically. I'm trying to learn how to make this kind of image in PDN. Each of the three images has the same basic elements. There's a light source or panel, framed and mounted on some sort of metal. This is what I wish to learn how to do. The final texture can be based off these three, or be something completely different. It just has to be a high resolution light texture - or light panel - suitable for putting on a static mesh.

- Deathbliss

I see now, then maybe a better way to go is asking how to make metal texture and such, once you learn how to make the basic textures, you can mix and match.

Instead of everybody trying to help you make something looking just like your sample images.

Metals: There are many different looks. From your images, Things to try are add noise (Color sat=0), Clouds.

Lights: Off-white colors (Use a color with a hint of yellow), From the 2nd sample image, you can add a little mesh by using gride maker.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]