What kind of computer are you using?

Ok, I figured out my stuff more detailed.

Custom Build, if not which company? Emachine.

Laptop or Desktop: Desktop

Processor: AMD Sempron 2.11 GHz Performance Rated at 2.11 GHz

Motherboard: AM2 uATX Motherboard

Video/Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 512mb

How much HD space? 160 Gig HDD

How much RAM? 1 gig (actually rated at 895mb. But both sticks are 512mb. :roll:)

Screen? Old lame Dell Monitor.

Keyboard? Dell..

Mouse? Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0

I'm not sure about all tese things, so i found mine online:

Slimline PC package (s3500f, w1707, D1530).

Features

* Great for daily tasks, class projects and multimedia fun, this compact PC packs wireless connectivity, a vast hard drive and the power of a standard desktop in 1/3 the size for less bulk and clutter

* AMD Athlon™ X2 dual-core processor 5400, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive, LightScribe labeling, 500GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics, 15-in-1 media reader, wireless LAN and Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1

* 17" widescreen flat-panel LCD monitor with BrightView panel technology, ultrafast 8 ms response time, 500:1 contrast ratio and built-in speakers; tilt-and-swivel base, or wall-mountable (kit not included)

* HP Deskjet printer with 4800 x 1200 dpi color resolution and support for borderless 4" x 6" photos; Web Smart function for easy Internet printing

-Bestbuy

Oma, there really isn't too much hype. Yes, it is easier to know all the stuff that's in your computer. Then you know what you can and can't run. Some computers, like Rick's, will run everything known to man, and some things they haven't invented yet. But basically, we're just nerds. :lol:

Well.. everything?

Even if you ignore programs that target different instruction sets then there are still a lot of scientific programs meant for supercomputers (the x86 based ones then of course) and while Ricks computer (or mine, 3.3GHz quad + 4GB ram is not bad either) may run them, they would take years to complete..

Also, the 8800GTS 640 won't get you too far in games... Sure, it's a good card, trumping the singlecore 7 series, but don't get too optimistic with stuff like Crysis on higher resolutions...

A dual 9800GTX+ setup will run it around 50FPS on high, on a nice 20 or 22"screen.

I had no problems with Crysis on High detail (Very High was pushing it, though, and of course needed that silly hack)

So, not get you too far? It will get you pretty much anywhere except into the extreme, such as 1600x1200 and ultra-very-extremely high detail on very new games

There are, however, more old games than there are new games

(and it's cheaper)

Upon looking back, I think I should have gotten a GeForce 7950 GT instead..

Also, the 8800GTS 640 won't get you too far in games... Sure, it's a good card, trumping the singlecore 7 series, but don't get too optimistic with stuff like Crysis on higher resolutions...

A dual 9800GTX+ setup will run it around 50FPS on high, on a nice 20 or 22"screen.

Sounds like you need a 280. If I had the money I get a 280 as it can do loops around the 8800 and 9800 cards.

Sounds like you need a 280. If I had the money I get a 280 as it can do loops around the 8800 and 9800 cards.

I need 3 :D Heck, I'll open them and stick 2 cores on each card... That'll make 6 :D That'll become a serious everything-but-the-graphics-card bottleneck. And it will serve as a nice heater in the winter...

I need 3 :D Heck, I'll open them and stick 2 cores on each card... That'll make 6 :D That'll become a serious everything-but-the-graphics-card bottleneck. And it will serve as a nice heater in the winter...

Why would you remove there 240 cores that run at 2.214 GHz each and replace them with 2 cores. I keep the 240 cores that can be used as normal CPU's. Think about Paint.NEt using 40 of the 240 cores running at 2.214 GHz :roll:. I do an effect and it be done before the drop down window closes :P.

Why would you remove there 240 cores that run at 2.214 GHz each and replace them with 2 cores. I keep the 240 cores that can be used as normal CPU's. Think about Paint.NEt using 40 of the 240 cores running at 2.214 GHz :roll:. I do an effect and it be done before the drop down window closes :P.

With cores, I meant GPU's. I meant putting two GPU's on one card à la AT 3/4870X2.

Wait now your confussing me. A 280 has 240 cores for processing video. Each core can also be used for other things that the CPU would do. 280 also support up to 3 way SLI so you could run 3 280 together and give yourself 720 cores for processing. So I am confuss about what you ment by Graphics processing unit as it already has 240 cores. Did you mean you will going to add another card to it using SLI ?

Sorry but I really confussed now.

Ya we were both talking about the same thing. A core is a smaller chip inside of that. Like a dual core means one CPU with 2 cores for doing the processing. So the GPU is one or two chips like that with 240 cores in it for a 280. It the biggest GPU and CPU made as far as I know.

I am happy we got that cleared up as you had me thinking for a bit. I R Don't Like Think :P

It is not entirely true that each of those cores can do something totally different..

They probably go in batches of 8 or so (or more, I don't know the specifics, but 8 has been used in the past, if you're really interested you could look it up)

And for those cores that execute the same code, there can be a severe performance penalty if the conditional branches do not all go the same way

Maybe, But still 240 is a lot and there doing 2.214 GHz each. The main reason they did this was for PhysX which is now build right into the card. Before you had to go buy a PhysX card and they were not the best.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_gtx_280.html

That has all the info on it, Take a look at spec's. Man that thing is a power hog needing 236W just for the card itself. I got a feeling it would get way to hot to as mine now get up in the 70 at time. So you have to keep looking at it temps to make sure it don't hit 80 - 90.

I cant make pc's or like do anything with them but this is my specs :

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Hard Drive: 494 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Sound Card: SigmaTel Audio

Speakers/Headphones: Labtec

Keyboard: USB Root Hub

Mouse: USB Root Hub

Mouse Surface: Dell mousemat

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227

I got to say from working on Dells 1st hand. They got good specs but bad hardware. a lot of people when they buy a Dell with video cards like 7800, 7900, 8600, think there getting really good stuff. Thing is I would never game on a dell or do any high end video, I seen the hardware they put in. Things like $30 models of high end cards that look good in My Computer but when put to the test they wont do it. Hell at CFS I killed 2 7800's from 2 brand new dells just from playing halo. Good thing we were replacing them with some new cards for media centers.

Dell cases are some of the best for working in though and they seem to be getting better at cable management.

Custom Build, if not which company? :Toshiba

Laptop or Desktop:Laptop

Processor:Intel Pentium M 1.70 Gigahertz

Motherboard: ???

Video/Graphics: Intel Extreme Graphics 2

How much HD space? 80 gigs

How much RAM? 512 MB

All in all, a sucky computer.

Archived