What kind of computer are you using?

Ya for the 1st month or so W7 will have to do a few updates for somethings but I do think it will be better.

Also XP Pro is not free. M$ does not give XP or any other windows out for free. I bet you if you E-Mailed M$ for windows 3.1 they tell you to get lost.

I couldn't help noticing, but why have you written the "S" in "MS" as a dollar sign?

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Ya for the 1st month or so W7 will have to do a few updates for somethings but I do think it will be better.

Also XP Pro is not free. M$ does not give XP or any other windows out for free. I bet you if you E-Mailed M$ for windows 3.1 they tell you to get lost.

I couldn't help noticing, but why have you written the "S" in "MS" as a dollar sign?

It is based on the idea of Microsoft being greedy - hence the dollar sign.

KaHuc.png

Uhm, try the pm? Not something I could say here (already had a warning for that)

Harold, you have a poor misconception about Windows 7 :roll:

The entire kernel is being rewritten for speed, and yes it will outperform Windows XP on the right hardware, but that is because software has to evolve and so does the hardware.

Are you referring to what has been called "MinWin"?

That will not remove the usual M$ bloat, but it's a nice effort (step in the right direction at least)

I will provide M$ with some nice tips: Remove all further bloat also, do not even make "glass" an option, stop downsampling HD video, do not ask permission-questions, do not even think about any kind of DRM anywhere not even if the MPAA pays big money, do not force drivers to be signed - warning is ok (then it's the user's responsibility), no UI nonsense - who would install it on a handheld anyway, do not introduce something as "windows 7 only" if it isn't

Which is pretty much summed up by: do not make the same mistakes as with Vista.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. The hopes were high before Vista was released, and we all know how that went

In any case, W7 isn't finished yet, so a *free* XP Pro x64 would be a nice filler, no? Anyone else who drops me a PM about it can get their copy as well.

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

W7 was being made before Vista.

Vista came out for 3 reasons I think.

1. To make money as M$ needs to keep there value up each year

2. To beta test some of the things that will be in W7 and get user feed back on what they like and don't like along with what needs to be fixed.

3. To delay the competition with any OS they plan to release to over come M$ OS around the same time. EG: Vista came along and Mac put out there new OS and are trying to sell it as being better then Vista (Which it may be). However when W7 comes out more then likely Mac wont be coming out with a new OS to try and kill it. They will most likely try to do updates to there OS.

As if Mac could kill windows anyway..

I'm not sure whether that is good or bad, but in the foreseeable future it isn't going to happen

I've heard quite some talk about modularity, and making users pay for each component, and even making them pay monthly - that last thing would be really really bad, why would you have to pay Microsoft monthly? you're not costing them money monthly, so that's just an attempt to gain even more money.

If they decided to keep the Protected Media Path.. well.. let's just anti-trust them if they did.

As if Mac could kill windows anyway..

I'm not sure whether that is good or bad, but in the foreseeable future it isn't going to happen

I've heard quite some talk about modularity, and making users pay for each component, and even making them pay monthly - that last thing would be really really bad, why would you have to pay Microsoft monthly? you're not costing them money monthly, so that's just an attempt to gain even more money.

If they decided to keep the Protected Media Path.. well.. let's just anti-trust them if they did.

That not the point of my last post. Also as much as you hate Mac it has grow a lot. Take a look around there are more people moving over to them and buy Mac products. Most of the people moving over still own Windows but want to play with a Mac. So ya Mac OS is a major factor to M$ and by doing what they did they now don't have to worry as much about Mac putting out a new OS at the same time as W7.

I will provide M$ with some nice tips: Remove all further bloat also, do not even make "glass" an option, stop downsampling HD video, do not ask permission-questions, do not even think about any kind of DRM anywhere not even if the MPAA pays big money, do not force drivers to be signed - warning is ok (then it's the user's responsibility), no UI nonsense - who would install it on a handheld anyway, do not introduce something as "windows 7 only" if it isn't

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. The hopes were high before Vista was released, and we all know how that went

In any case, W7 isn't finished yet, so a *free* XP Pro x64 would be a nice filler, no? Anyone else who drops me a PM about it can get their copy as well.

Aero is a good direction, using the GPU as a resource rather than only for games is good in my opinion.

DRM is tad complicated and mixed... no opinions.

UAC is a very good thing, it keeps all the system files protected and so on. It only really asks if you run certain system programs or install/uninstall software. Normal daily activities don't prompt the dialog.

What?!

I heard that Window 7 was built on the Vista core.

Nope, it is all on MinWin, a much lighter version of the Windows kernel.

Nope, MinWin was axed long ago. Windows Seven will use Vista's kernel.

When Windows Seven appears I'm thinking of upgrading to it once it appears in my local MSDNAA store :)

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

I was thinking y'all were calling Microsoft M$ because people write bad words with symbols like the dollar sign.

So I thought y'all were typing M$ like it's a bad word. :D

(I love Paint.NET and all, but I'm in love with Apple and its OS!)

drew-10.png

Aero is a good direction, using the GPU as a resource rather than only for games is good in my opinion.

UAC is a very good thing, it keeps all the system files protected and so on. It only really asks if you run certain system programs or install/uninstall software. Normal daily activities don't prompt the dialog.

What?!

I heard that Window 7 was built on the Vista core.

Nope, it is all on MinWin, a much lighter version of the Windows kernel.

Nope, MinWin was axed long ago. Windows Seven will use Vista's kernel.

When Windows Seven appears I'm thinking of upgrading to it once it appears in my local MSDNAA store :)

W7 was being made before Vista. I belive Vista kernel is really base of W7 kernel. Which leads back to my 2nd last post about why we have Vista right now.

using the GPU is fine by me, but XP also does that (to a lesser extend though) - Aero just shouldn't be so darned slow when all effects are disabled (with effects it has an excuse, but not a very good one, Compiz does them and more pretty fast)

DRM.. well.. it doesn't do anything good for users, only for large greedy companies

UAC? Keep system files safe? I do not want to keep them safe. I want to delete them if I feel like it - because it is my own computer. Normal daily activities prompt me at least every 5 minutes, but I'm a hacker so my "normal daily activities" are not normal to others. I disabled UAC though - before deciding to use XP after all.

UAC shouldn't be needed anyway. If a user wants to do something stupid: his(/her) funeral. Same for unsigned drivers. Even the normal deletion confirmation is redundant - it will be in the recycle bin anyway. The "too large, will be permanently removed" warning is good though!(but has been there for years)

All these UAC prompts just train people (except the paranoid) to click OK and Accept as fast as they can - not safe.

But wait, that's a rant about vista/w7 "features"? That's not supposed to be here..

Prediction: W7 will only be marginally better than Vista (but I wouldn't put any money on it, M$ remains unpredictable)

So let's continue about hardware? Anyone got a Skulltrail?

Custom Build, if not which company? Compaq

Laptop or Desktop: Laptop

Processor: AMD Althon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor TK-55

Motherboard: Not sure...

Video/Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100

How much HD space? 110 gigs

How much RAM? 1gig (upgrading soon)

9az6g6.png

lol my computer sux!

company is Microsoft... or hp or something....

its a desktop

operating system: Windows xp home edition

Processor: Intel ® Pentium ® 4 cpu 1500 MHz

Memory: 512 mb ram (omg it sux!!!!!) :evil: :(:cry: :x

Direct x version: 9.0! (lol i wish 10)

Video Driver/card thingy: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 model 64/model 64 pro... (which sux :( )

lol i need a new computer!

Dell Dimension 4600

Laptop or Desktop: Desktop

OS: Windows XP Home times 2( I had to reinstall the OS and didn't delete the old one now I don't know how to delete the old corrupt one)

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570

Video/Graphics: Intel Extreme Graphics 2

How much HD space? 74.4 gigs

How much RAM? 512 MB of RAM

Question. What do you know about XP service Pact 3? How long has it been out? Why it won't download? If it does download will I still have all my documents, programs, etc. once it finshes?

The computer that I'm posting from right now:

Custom Build, if not which company? Custom build from Intel parts

OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 2

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz

Motherboard: Intel® something or other

Video/Graphics: Intel® G33 Express (onboard video)

How much HD space? 300GB Raid 0

How much RAM? 2GB

Screen? Samsung SyncMaster 226bw (1680x1050 widescreen LCD 22")

Keyboard? Microsoft Natural

Mouse? Logitech iFeel

Click to play:
j.pngs.pngd.pnga.pngp.png
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game

• 3 weeks later...

Desktop

Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Intel Pentium 4 Processor (3.1 GHz)

Intel motherboard

64mb Intel Integrated GPU

171 GB Hard drive

512mb of DDR400 Ram

LCD Gateway Monitor

HP Multimedia keyboard

Logitech LX3 Optical mouse

Plan on getting this summer:

Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb 64bit

+1gb Ram

Hopefully a 400 Watt PSU

card.png

[Second Attempt]

[First Attempt]

Private: Commander

Commander: Yes Private

Private: Permission to fire Sir

Commander: Permission granted

BANG BANG BANG!!!

Hey why not:

Custom Build, if not which company? Custom build, of course

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 @ 2.66 GHz

Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2 "Bad Axe"

Video/Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 256 MB*

How much HD space? 300 GB Western Digital "VelociRaptor" for C:, 2x 500 GB Western Digital in RAID-1 (mirroring) for D:, and a 750 GB Western Digital for F:. The E: drive is your typical 16x DVD +/- RW drive.

How much RAM? 8 GB DDR2-800

Screen? Dell 2405WPF 24" Widescreen LCD for primary/left, Viewsonic VP201s 20" LCD for secondary/right

Keyboard? Microsoft Natural

Mouse? Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0

* I have a GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB but it runs too hot and I'm not playing games on this thing, so I put in my old card.

I'm saving my pennies so that later this year I can purchase a monster box with dual quad-core Nehalem chips and an ATI Radeon HD 4870 or something. Although it sounds really expensive, maybe I'll hold off for a bit longer. It's not like this thing is slow.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg