If a person necroposts, is it necroposting to reply?

For instance:

User1: This tutorial is really bad... sorry, but it is...

User2: User1, this tutorial hasn't been active for one whole year! Please read the rules!

Do you think that User2 should send a PM to User1 about this instead? And should they tell a mod?

I mean, even though it helps a bit, isn't replying to a post replied to an old post necroposting?

[EDIT]

@ Mike Ryan

Oh. Oops, I never thought of that... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

[/EDIT]

Hi. Yes. No. Uh-huh. Of course. Well, I don't know what you're sayin', but if you wanna leave a message at the beep...

As for the tutorial example:

11) Don't reply to very old threads. Also known as "reviving" or "resusitating" old/dead threads. Also called "necroposting" (eww). If there has been no discussion in a thread for, say, 3 months ... then it is dead. Do not reply to it -- pretend like it is locked. If you reply to it, then the thread will be immediately locked and your post may be deleted. Please just create a new thread if you have something to say about that subject. However, this rule does not apply to The Overflow, Tutorials, Pictorium, or Plugins sections of the forum.
KaHuc.png

I don't know. I find myself offen in other topics and threads as the TS and B thread has not be real busy. One of the things I been seeing is un-wanted and un-needed posts in the tutorials part of the forums. I am not talking about people posting tutorials but about people flaming old and new tutorials.

I think when this childist act happens that you need someone to step in and tell these people to read the rules and to be more respectful or else we end up with more people flaming a person untill they feel unwanted.

Yes everyone is intitle to there own opinion, but there have been cases were people are not just attacking the tutorial but the author as well.

I am also seeing tutorials that are easy to do but have a great out come to them. Then you get people who again flame that tutorial, not because of the effect but because it easy. It not about how easy it is, it's about learning new things. If the effect is good, not done before, and easy then let it be. Now I can understand if it was something like making clouds using the clouds effect.

what if you have something useful to add to the topic and instead of creating a new one, you just add to the old one?

Sometimes I feel tempted to add some new ideas to old topics, especially when the old topics are used as references too.

I don't see adding new material or posting for help on a topic as necroposting. I do see useless post that don't add anything of value to a topic as necroposting. But if someone posts for help or adds something of value to post then I think that should be ok. EG: Someone updates a tutorial to add new steps to get the effect using tools that were not in Paint.NET at the time the tutorial was made. Or someone needs help understanding the tutorial and asks within the tutorial.

But to necropost just to bump, start a fight, or just up your post count is just wrong all together.

Would the mods agree that this is a valid reason to necropost ?

what if you have something useful to add to the topic and instead of creating a new one, you just add to the old one?

Sometimes I feel tempted to add some new ideas to old topics, especially when the old topics are used as references too.

I don't see adding new material or posting for help on a topic as necroposting. I do see useless post that don't add anything of value to a topic as necroposting. But if someone posts for help or adds something of value to post then I think that should be ok. EG: Someone updates a tutorial to add new steps to get the effect using tools that were not in Paint.NET at the time the tutorial was made. Or someone needs help understanding the tutorial and asks within the tutorial.

But to necropost just to bump, start a fight, or just up your post count is just wrong all together.

Would the mods agree that this is a valid reason to necropost ?

Yes, HITMAN-X hits the target....

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]