Install problems with 2.61 over 2.6

I've got the following error when trying to update to 2.6.1:

paintdotnetinstallerror.jpg

After the error I could not uninstall or install 2.6 again. I tried to go back to 2.5 but got an error on that install , similar to the above. The 2.5 install did seem to install a portion of 2.5 but I get an error when I try to launch it and now I cannot unistall 2.5 either. I even tried the windows install cleanup tool. Now I am stuck with no working copy of paint.net.

This is a great program but I've had installation issues since 2.6. Can anyone help??

Thanks,

It seems that you cannot access this registry key. check if it exist.

I think you could erase this key [but only if you know how to work with registry or maybe use regcleaner], and all the file in paint.net installation folder and then try reinstall it.

If it doesn't work check if you have temp file in windows temp directory and erase them.

Just a question: your user is a indows administrator?

Note: i hope you are a windows expert, or is better if you have someone who know these operation.

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

If the registry key doesn't exist, it will be created. That would not crash Paint.NET.

I'm still trying to figure out what is causing this error, so maybe you could answer the following really quick:

1. Are you running as an Administrator user? (we're only supposed to let you do the updates if you are ... so if it's letting you install anyway then that's no good)

2. If you delete the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Paint.NET, and then try again, does it work?

3. If #2 doesn't work then please do the following for me:

a) In Registry Editor, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE, and right click on it and then click "Permissions..."

B) The top list box will show various users or user groups. The bottom list will show what permissions they have for that registry key. Can you detail what all these are? For example, on my system I get:

Administrators have Full Control, and Read
CREATER OWNER has Special Permissions (greyed but enabled check box)
Power Users have Read, and Special Permissions (greyed but enabled)
SYSTEM has Full Control, and Read
Users have Read

If there are any checkboxes in the "Deny" column, be sure to list those as well.

4) Do the same as #3, except for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Paint.NET key (assuming you tried to install and got the same "permission denied" error and have not deleted the key again in the meantime)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Here's another thing I'd like you to try.

1. Run the setup program. Wait until you get that arcane registry error dialog box like what you have above.

2. Go to Start->Run, then type "cmd" in the text box there and click OK. This will bring up the good ol' NT command prompt.

3. Type the following: (I recommend copy+pasting this)

"%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\caspol" -rsp "%TEMP%\PdnSetup\SetupFrontEnd.exe"

Note: This assumes you are not on a 64-bit system (99% likely).

4. Either copy+paste the results or post a screenshot.

Mine prints the following, for reference:

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework CasPol 2.0.50727.42
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Resolving permissions for level = Enterprise
Resolving permissions for level = Machine
Resolving permissions for level = User

Grant =
version="1"
Unrestricted="true"/>

Success

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Ok I found the install problem. After you suggested a look at the registry permissions I noticed that for some reason they were all messed up for the Software and security branches. They were set for everyone, full access. I used another XP box to fix them up and I got paint.net 2.61 to install without problems. I thought I was home free but when I ran it I got an unhandled error. Here is the crash log. It's still complaining about that same registry key although when I checked the permissions they were inherited correctly from the machine\software.

By the way I have the same permission settings in machine\software as you except I don't have a power users entry

Any ideas?

Here is the log:

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.

Please e-mail this file to paint.net@hotmail.com so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v2.61 (Final Release build 2.61.2277.1999)

Time of crash: 4/15/2006 9:43:38 AM

OS version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86

.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.42 x86

Processor count: 1

Physical memory: 1023 MB

Exception details:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Paint.NET' is denied.

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Settings.CreateSettingsKey(Boolean writable)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Settings.SetObject(String key, Object value)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Settings.SetBoolean(String key, Boolean value)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace.AlphaBlendingChangedHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentEnvironment.OnAlphaBlendingChanged()

at PaintDotNet.DocumentEnvironment.PerformAllChanged()

at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace..ctor()

at PaintDotNet.MainForm.InitializeComponent()

at PaintDotNet.MainForm..ctor(String[] args)

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Start()

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Main(String[] args)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.

Please e-mail this file to paint.net@hotmail.com so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v2.61 (Final Release build 2.61.2277.1999)

Time of crash: 4/15/2006 9:47:40 AM

OS version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86

.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.42 x86

Processor count: 1

Physical memory: 1023 MB

Exception details:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Paint.NET' is denied.

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Settings.CreateSettingsKey(Boolean writable)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Settings.SetObject(String key, Object value)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Settings.SetBoolean(String key, Boolean value)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace.AlphaBlendingChangedHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentEnvironment.OnAlphaBlendingChanged()

at PaintDotNet.DocumentEnvironment.PerformAllChanged()

at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace..ctor()

at PaintDotNet.MainForm.InitializeComponent()

at PaintDotNet.MainForm..ctor(String[] args)

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Start()

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Main(String[] args)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK Life is good...

This was a different reg key that had the same "everyone" permission set on it. I fixed that one and paint.net now works!!!!!!

So I think the conclusion is that if anyone else is having this problem, make sure you check your registry permissions for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security, and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software. I suggest you backup your registry first, then use a known good machine to make the permission changes.

The ones I had to make for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software were just to use the inherited permissions from HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The ones I made for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software were not inherited and are:

Administrators Full Control, Read

Creator Owner - special, in advanced, click fullcontrol, (checks everything), but make sure that the "applies to" field is "Subkeys only"

System - full control, read

Users - read

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security -

administrators - special permissions write DAC, read control

System - full control, read

I hope this helps anyone with this problem. I took me a long time to figure it out.

Thanks to Rick Brewster for getting me going in the right direction!!!!

As always I stress to make backups of your registry and even your system before making these changes. I also recommend looking at a working machine to make sure these setting are correct!!

Happy editing!!! :D

Edited the settings for the security branch.