welshblue

~ WelshBlue ~Synthetic~ 02/02/2020

second as an unripe one my preference is the last one. but its not dark enough nor rusty orangish enough.

what happens if you duplicate it and color burn. (depends on what colors you used to draw it.) check pm's

Thanks Helen and oma :D

I'll try the blend modes when I'm doing the final landscape. At the moment trying to draw realistic looking trees is becoming very frustrating :evil: After a lot of false starts I think I'll have to sketch some on paper and then scan

To stop myself banging my head against the wall I made some acorn animations (APNG and Gif)

acornanimationsf0.th.png acornanigif2nn5.th.gif

Take a step back, take a deeeeeeep breath, and exhale. Repeat as needed.

Seriously though, I had been thinking over your dilemma with the acorn. In nature, the acorn is very brownish, close to being chocolate brown. IMO, you got the texture down pat, it's the coloring that's giving you a hard time.

As for the tree, I agree it's probably best to freehand draw one. Helen might be able to give you a lot of tips since she pulled off her art work, the Forest piece. Go outside and find a tree you like and draw.

If you got to, breathe, strike a yoga posture, and hold it till you turn blue.

Thanks for the advice Storm' ... with my back, if I held any sort of yoga pose, I'd never get up again :P :wink:

The 1st draft of the 'tree' ... it was easier and quicker to get the chainsaw out and trim some branches :lol:

All PDN apart from the waterfall (obviously :lol: ) but I do want to tweak it pdn style, also the sea and background, fence etc ... in fact everything but I thought I'd post it to gauge how it's looking

th_pdntree.png

Thanks for the advice Storm' ... with my back, if I held any sort of yoga pose, I'd never get up again :P :wink:

The 1st draft of the 'tree' ... it was easier and quicker to get the chainsaw out and trim some branches :lol:

All PDN apart from the waterfall (obviously :lol: ) but I do want to tweak it pdn style, also the sea and background, fence etc ... in fact everything but I thought I'd post it to gauge how it's looking

th_pdntree.png

Looking good, my friend. Make the stakes in the fence disappear into the ground. The waterfall would blend perfectly if it was set to Multiply or Screen.

I never done any yoga, but I had watched my wife and daughter do it, and it makes me wonder if I could do it. :lol:

Welshblue, you just amaze me with your work. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I love that tree! How in the world do you do it?! I like the composition of the image. Nice job!!!

Thanks a lot Storm', Helen and LFC'

How did I do the tree ? Ummmm lots and lots of layers :lol: (There must be over 100+ plus layers in the whole picture :?: )

There's clouds with dents - clouds with Height to Normal - I used a few of my wood textures as masks - Varicose - Relief - I also used the isolated lineart from my sketch and blurred it differnt ways. Motion, Fragment, Gaussian, Gaussian+ ... to be honest if I had to do it again I bet it would look totally different :roll:

The 2nd draft, I took the lighthouse away, PDN apart from waterfall and conifer brushes

pdntree3.png

Oh yeh, don't look too closely at the leaves as they're more sycamore than oak :lol:

Edit, thanks to oma for the acorn colouring :wink:

The waterfall is just mind-boggling (in a good way). I mean the color is so perfect and the trees, and the acorn, and the fence, and the grass, and the background trees, and...and...and...oh just everything is so beautiful and astonishing and super!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :P

(I hope this gets featured in the galleria; I voted for this one!) :wink:

Welshblue, much better improvement, but for some reason, your waterfall in this picture seem to stick out like a sore thumb. I couldn't help but notice the edge, and my eyes keep going to the waterfall. I'm not sure if that was intentional of your placement, but I think it needs a little adjustment to blend better with the picture. Overall, a very good job with the tree, and I see you finally got the acorn where you like it.

Edit: Grammar. *mutters*

@ Helen and oma ... thanks for the thumbs up :wink:

I can't take any credit for the waterfall, it was a stock image I played around with. Although it's nice you like what I've done :) (My favourite part of the whole piece is the lil' tree clinging on for life, with the shining star behind it :roll::) )

@ Storm' and Sharp ... Thank you's for your comments and there are a few things I would change (not necessarily on the edge of the waterfall :wink: ) but one too many beers and I forgot to reverse back to a pdn file after saving as a png . Gutted.

With my daughter's help I moved onto Ship in a Bottle (WIP)

th_shipinabottle2.png

The 'Ship' that launched the above

th_sailingship.png

Clicky

Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: If I ever get a job, I'd like that hanging up in my office. :) It looks so......real! I might need to hang up a sign that says, "Warning! This is an illustration!" :lol: I want to let you know how beautiful and realistic it looks. I really like the rocky texture underneath the ship and behind it. The bottle is just outstanding. Nice job, Welshblue! :P

Great job on the bottle and the boat. Really good. But (theres always a but with me :P ), why did you make the shadow at the bottom so strong, and did no shading on the bottle cap? It sort of lets this piece down a little.

For a tut on the bottle, i'd say no, but make one if you wish. I do request a tut though, on how you make the grey "tiled" texture at the bottom. I've been trying to figure it out, but its not working. So, tut please? =)

I'm guessing that the gray tiled texture was some random abstract + glass blocks perhaps?

Anyways, I think that that ship in a bottle is awesome. Really awesome :)

...I could never figure out how people actually make those things in real life :lol:

@ Helen ... thanks :D When you start employment you can have the finished image for free :wink:

@ OMA ... thanks :D I know you could do a better job if you had the PDN file :wink:

@ GoonFella and Storm' ... thanks :D If I can trim it down to less than it is now screenshots:

A tutorial may happen :?:

@ LFC' ... thanks :D And your constructive critique made sense. I must admit I hadn't thought of adding shading on the bottle cap.

@ worldnewser ... thanks :D There's no Glass Blocks. But there is Tile Reflection. And an abstract

The next draft in 'Ship in a Bottle'

th_shipinabottle5.png

I like your new image and little globe is so splendidly adorable and the shadow underneath is perfect! I wish I could finish my projects, but I haven't been active with my images because I have the flu. It's very hard to be enthusiastic when you're sick, but when I come and see these nice graphics, I kind of revive. :lol:

I'm happy you let me use your image. :P All I need now is a job. :roll:

I like your new image and little globe is so splendidly adorable and the shadow underneath is perfect! I wish I could finish my projects, but I haven't been active with my images because I have the flu. It's very hard to be enthusiastic when you're sick, but when I come and see these nice graphics, I kind of revive. :lol:

I'm happy you let me use your image. :P All I need now is a job. :roll:

Sick with the flu? I'm sorry. I had that twice last year, and I don't care to have them again. You're out of a job? Jeez....

@Welshblue...I looked at your PDN file. It looks good, and I see you use a lot of screen blending options for the glass. Thanks for the PM.

Yes thanks Welshblue. This will help when I draw my own bottles ( or any glass for that matter). I notice that you use Screen quite a bit. Never occurred to me to use that one. :wink: