welshblue

~ WelshBlue ~Split Personality~ 01/12/2019

Thanks @Pixey it was an exercise to see about getting the 'metal' right.  Took ages.  I'm glad I didn't give up

8 hours ago, Pixey said:

Wear gloves for safety

You sound like my better half.  She gets nervous when I'm around sharp things that rotate.  I don't know why. 

From a chainsaw I've only lost a thumb, an index finger and  got a 4 inch scar on my left knee and a 6 inch scar on the same thigh ... plus lost the end of my pinkie to a blade like above. She worries for nothing.  Although the one on my thigh ... 2 inches to the right and my daughter wouldn't have been conceived 😬

To anyone who uses a chainsaw ... if you cut your right leg you're using it all wrong.  Always cut your left ... then you're a professional

@Seerose ... thank you very much as always.  

36 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I'm a dabbler in all things

I'm glad you said that ... and not ... A fiddler with all things ...you get locked up around here for that. 😉

Thanks for heads up ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EER pointed out my rotation was all wrong.  Amended below

For-EER-flipped.png

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, welshblue said:

EER pointed out my rotation was all wrong.  Amended below

That could be very important if you're trying to cut something...

Excellent work Welshy!  :star:  It looks like I could pick it up off the store shelf and purchase it.  :)

8 hours ago, Maximilian said:

Fantastic sharp-looking blade! hairdresser

That is too funny!  :lol:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lynxster4 said:
22 hours ago, Maximilian said:

Fantastic sharp-looking blade! hairdresser

That is too funny!  :lol:

We should probably have a contest on shaving tools smiley

winks

• Like 2

Thanks @lynxster4 ... 

On 11/19/2019 at 12:17 PM, lynxster4 said:

That could be very important if you're trying to cut something...

I've known more than one person who's put a chainsaw chain on back to front and freaked out at the resulting firework display.  Myself included 🙄

@Maximilian ... thanks mate ... in my experience if you're ever going to cut yourself - sharp hurts a lot less than blunt 😑 

Thanks too to @Reptillian @ReMake and @Seerose for the reps

Nice looking saw blade.  Hopefully, the person you were trying to help was able to create one of his own after this.

Speaking of chainsaw, I had to give away my trusty 18" Craftsman chainsaw after I had a temper tantrum with it and bent the guide bar.  Serves me right.  Now I have a 16" Stihl for whenever storms break a limb here or there to clean up.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

Speaking of chainsaw, I had to give away my trusty 18" Craftsman chainsaw after I had a temper tantrum with it and bent the guide bar.

🤣  ... ahhh the old fling it and then it will work method.  In my experience karma will just make it hit something immovable and break something to teach you a lesson. It may sort out an electrical loose wire tho' ... 

16" ... more than enough.  That's all I ever used.  Could comfortably fell a 40 " tree -  much bigger if you you bore into the front first, take off any spurs

Start going over 18" + and it's overkill.   It's just too unwieldy/ unbalanced, especially for Snedding

Hard to believe I used to go that speed for 8 to10 hours a day 6 days a week 😐

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 1

Going through my folders, and being a big advocate of backgrounds being an important part of any image.  Making or breaking IMO

I've decided to revisit some OoTF files and make them into images in their own right

Indulge

indulge-2.png

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I gained 10 lbs. just looking at this.  Welshy...great job!  <3

You do a wonderful 'drizzled' icing!  😊

• Like 1

I find 3 things astonishing. 

1. The level of detail you put into your images and the realism you achieve. 

2. That you haven't got more images in The Galleria.  No disrespect meant to any in there but your work could fill many pages of it.

3. That you don't get more Reputation points from people for the images. 

I hope it's not a popularity thing from a cursory look around here,  when art should speak for itself above everything.

I happened to show a friend who is a graphic designer your gallery and he said that your work is Photoshop quality.  Especially your text work.

Thank you so very much for the help by Private Message.  It is very much appreciated,  as were the xml files. 

You should really consider making a shape3d tutorial and sharing them with all

• Like 1

@Pixey @lynxster4 @ReMake @TrevorOutlaw ... thanks guys.  Not entirely convinced by the background, but at least the 2 go well side by side

@AspiringArtist 

1.  Thank you.  As I've said before ... small details cover a multitude of sins. If you're going to make 'realism' ... go the whole hog, or else it doesn't work.  Being a perfectionist can be a godsend or a curse depending on the outcome

2.  The Galleria.  TBH a couple of mine that are in there, are too poor to be there IMO.  It's not a benchmark I set out to achieve, or even a benchmark I judge myself by but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the nominations.  It's always an honour

3.  Ahhh Rep' points.  Again not something I set out to get,   nor something I measure my life by.  Very fickle things IMO and can be handed out like sweets at halloween at times.  This may not apply to you wanting to be an illustrator but I do everything for me.  If others get it ... great.  If I like it - really great ... job's a good 'un, and I've achieved what I set out to.  Without sounding vain, I've hit a point where my work is at a top enough  level for me, but it's taken me years to get there.  I'm happy and that's all that counts

Popularity contest ?

Being on forums is like real life ... in my real life I've got people who would give me the shirts off their backs and then some who wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire.  And both are mutually reciprocated, except I'm more likely to be setting the fire.

That said I've only the utmost respect for this place, plugin authors, and artists

Forum life ... there's those who like me, those who possibly tolerate me and those who possibly don't like me.  I'm a big boy and can take it.

Edited by welshblue

Depressingly excellent work, especially that last one. What I mean is that when compared to the stuff I've done and been pleased with that's in another league: Premiership compared to National League (South) ie. six leagues down and that''s flattering myself. :)  

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, Pixey said:

and the chopping board is fantastic

Thanks again @Pixey ... I've just seen that I used the wrong texture map.  Notice the bottom right edge ? 

@lynxster4 ... thanks as always.  It was a challenge to keep building up the layers to get there 

@IHaveNoName ... thanks a lot.  A lot of hours to get where I'm at with the programme.  Plus a lot of support and advice along the way.  From current and past members.

Something I will always be eternally grateful for.     Perseverance was the key for me.  A lot of failed proects too.  I found this sorting through some old cd's  ... it's from 10 years ago.

ipod-green.png

On 11/28/2019 at 1:33 PM, IHaveNoName said:

Premiership compared to National League (South) ie. six leagues down and that''s flattering myself

I prefer watching the lower leagues.  Same skill.  Same mistakes.  The 2 big differences from the PL for me,  is the huge wages for some very mediocre players and players get up after a decent tackle, not roll around like there's a hidden sniper

Big thanks  to @Red ochre (x2) @toe_head2001 @ReMake @HyReZ @TrevorOutlaw

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A texture experiment to commemorate hitting a milestone for me here and hitting 700,000 page views.  Thanks to those past and present for keeping me going, and for the support.  You guys really are the best.  

700-2.png

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, welshblue said:

... to commemorate hitting a milestone for me here and hitting 700,000 page views.

Hats off.

hi.gif

• Like 1

The orange slices in the Vitamin C image look even better than your OOTF version. They could hardly be more realistic. The 700,00 image is also very convincing; both the numbers and the hammered-metal background. I particularly appreciate the detail of having the reflected highlights from the numbers illuminate the nearby background.

• Like 1

@lynxster4 and @ReMake ... thanks guys.  A bit of a vanity piece really, but I don't have that when I look in the mirror anymore 🤣

@MJW ... thanks mate.  The 'vanity piece' is a lot of plugins. 

Background =Cell Texture/ Gaussian Blur/ Texture Shader with a Planetoid texture/ Sharpen+ /  Lines with Blend Modes and Trail Blur/ Motion Blur for the 'cutout'

Text = Planetoid/ Texture Shader/ Inner Shadow/ Bevel Object/ Trail Blur/ Alpha Mask

... so basically I couldn't do much without plugin authors.  

@thanks @IHaveNoName

I love the texture in the 700 thousand image background - at first I thought you had used the Styrofoam tute.  I will have to try out your steps.  You certainly have a good memory.  Alas, when I'm making things I can never remember accurately the steps I used :(

Congratulations on your Galleria nomination too 🤗

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 10:31 AM, Pixey said:

Alas, when I'm making things I can never remember accurately the steps I used :(

When I am using a plugin that I have not used often or has settings that I may want use in the future, I hit the Print Screen key to be saved in my DropBox cloud storage. There are probably other ways to automatically send the screen capture to a designated folder.

Edited by HyReZ