welshblue

~ WelshBlue ~Split Personality~ 01/12/2019

5 hours ago, RobCooke said:

An Administrator who should be encouraging more tutorials like that in a raster image editor to improve the experience,  likes a spin off image made from your work, but not the tutorial that allowed it to happen.  Strange indeed.  

Who said I didn't like the tutorial? Don't put words in my mouth. 

Here we insist on forum users respecting each other. Welshblue has my utmost respect. He knows that. That's why I say things like this...

On 7/25/2019 at 10:16 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Links. They were probably hosted on Photobucket or something else that lost 'em.

I'll repost the above images just to prove we still think your art is awesome 😊

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

He knows that.

To quote Meatloaf 🎵 You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth 🎵 ... but no tongues eh 😜

I didn't think anything of it mate.  Some people chat rubbish without knowing the truth.  You've been a good friend.  Still a good friend.  Will always be a good friend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2019 at 2:53 AM, JulioCoolio said:

I love the attention to detail and how real a lot of your works look.

Thanks @JulioCoolio ... very much appreciated.  A lot of work goes in the bin as I'm too much of a taskmaster with myself.  I enjoy the trying to get 'realism' then get frustrated in mine and sometime paint.net's limitations for some things

It's been a while in the making.  Inspired by @dipstick's fantastically rendered light bulb image

Plugins used: @MJW's Object Rounder and Texture Shader.  @BoltBait's Inner Shadow (I'm guilty of not realising how useful this is until @lynxster4's great plastic text tutorial)

Not happy with the metal part really but playing about is messing it up more than leaving it alone

Seeing The Light

seeing-the-light.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Looks great to me @welshblue!  Well done!  :star:

I know what you mean about 'playing' around with it. Sometimes it's just best to leave it alone.  😜

• Like 1

Oooooooo  :)   Very illuminating and crystal clear.  It has a lovely shimmer to it.  Great piece :star:

• Like 1

@welshblue, from my gallery when I attempted to create a light bulb, this is what you said:

I think light bulbs are hard ... I was trying but then I realised getting almost full transparency but still getting the look is more difficult than I thought.

You're not really a million miles away I don't think.  Some soft white brushing and blurring, Overlay may help to build up the illusion of.  Which I think is the secret of anything PDN and glass - the illusion of @MJW's Hour Glass springs to mind as top glass, and would work well as a bulb ?   Personally I'd really tone down the contact wire, it seems to not 'belong' if you know what I mean ?

This was made using Object Rounder  and Texture Shader but think I went the wrong way and should have used S3D and it's transparency options, and then built it up like I said above,  I don't think mine will ever look right

And look, you achieved it.  I'm impressed and jealous at the same time!  :P 

• Like 1

Thank you @Icegodes ... 

@lynxster4 @Pixey @Seerose @TrevorOutlaw .... thanks guys.  I want to re-visit the light bulb at sometime as the metal connection is slightly off.  It needs to be tilted forward ever so slightly, but still keep the same shape.  Hopefully I'll have an eureka moment one day.

Thanks too to @ReMake @Maximilian and @HyReZ for the rep points.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm calling this piece CopyCat as I wanted to try out the technique demonstrated here Trevor Outlaw.

it's an interesting style and not quite as easy as it looks.  But I guess there's no right or wrong ?

Copy-Cat.png

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

That is a great effect :)  Would make a nice Advert for sneakers 😁

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 5:29 PM, welshblue said:

I'm calling this piece CopyCat as I wanted to try out the technique demonstrated here Trevor Outlaw.

I suppose I should feel flattered, after all, they say imitation is the best form of flattery.  :D 

• Like 1

@HyReZ ... nice combination of pixel stretch and Illuminate.  Works well

On 11/3/2019 at 10:06 PM, TrevorOutlaw said:

they say imitation is the best form of flattery

That's all you're getting.  I'm not fluttering my eyelashes at you and telling you how beautiful your eyes are 😉

We all need inspiration sometimes and you gave me it with your images

@Seerose @Pixey @lynxster4 @Reptillian @Eli ... apologies for the late reply, time goes by and we can't stop the clock. 

I'm as grateful for the kind comments now as I was 2 weeks ago.  Always deeply appeciated.  Thank you and for the reps

@dipstick@ReMake @Maximilian thanks for the reps guys.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to perfect this before a tutorial and sort of think I've got it down to quick steps.  I'm calling it For EER in tribute to his carpentry skills.

It's more for ripping than fine cut ...

For-EER.png

It got me thinking.  How difficult would a set of power tools be in Paint.net.  Possible yes.  Difficulty to be determined when/if I finish them.  A grinder or chainsaw first ?

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

@welshblue I don't know who EER is but that is shop bought no?  How do you get such realism and life into your images.  I have spent time looking at your works and I am amazed that a free software can emulate these things.I'm astounded at your skill level and creativity

I saw your kind offer in the discussion thread and I would love to have some files as I want to learn as much as I can.  Is my email address better for you ?

Aspiring Artist 

@AspiringArtist

I am amazed at the work done by forum members.

I know from my experience in education that providing learners at all experience levels with the same set of art tools will get you a wide range of results.

Giving a preschooler a pencil will not yield the results of giving a pencil to Leonardo da Vinci.

Edited by HyReZ

@AspiringArtist.   EER is @Ego Eram Reputo ... our resident carpenter

@HyReZ is correct in his observations - in this case my work wasn't always like this.    I was definitely a pre-schooler.

Looking back through folders,  I've produced some pretty crappy early stuff.  

Time.  Practice and lots and lots of aborted projects.  Then you start get to grips with plugins etc.  There's something for everything

My best advice to yourself and anyone starting out,  an image off the internet is all well and good as a reference image ... in the case of objects there's no substitute to having the real thing in front of you. Moving it to see how it bounces light etc. Look at the different textures.  Feel them even, as it helps to get 'realism' onto the canvas.

Looking at the blade again ... could have possibly been lighter at the top

I'm lucky in that my working career I was surrounded by all types of metal/wood and machinery of all types so I concentrate on what I know.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes not

Thank you for your kind words ... and yep send me your email address and I'll link to some .xml files

Thanks too to @ReMake @lynxster4 and @HyReZ for the rep points

That's one sharp looking blade @welshblue and a great tool for doing many, many things with it.  Wear gloves for safety 🙀

• Like 1