welshblue

~ WelshBlue ~Mortui Viventes~ 15/12/2019

I think I understand what 007 Nab is talking about. Try taking out the shadows from the back of the rocks. Otherwise, I think it's a breath-taking view. :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o It's really, really beautiful. And it looks like you followed Oma's tut very well. Perfect.

Thanks Nabster and Helen ... I see what you mean about the rocks; I was too lazy to make new ones, so I pinched them from another PDN file. As for the pear ... it's all thanks to oma :wink:

I was gonna work on making the 'water' myself but I'm not sure I can be bothered - stroke capable - so to the pm spammer it looks like you've got what you want - you won't have to look at my 'censored' anymore. :twisted:

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement in my short time here.

Thanks Survulus ... art of any kind is new to me, so I'm trying to practice the textures I'm familiar with. Glad you like them. :)

I wasn't sure if I was gonna post again, but I'm not going to let an idiot spoil what's fun and relaxing to me.

This next piece started out as making a wooden pear from oma's tut, then the cherries from a few more distorts to the pear ... then the frame

Cherry Wood

th_cherrywood.png

All PDN apart from the pear leaf.

(the grass blades are there because I cut the bottom off the cherry and hadn't noticed :roll: )

This piece is once again, very amazing. It does look like wood. Soon we won't even see a difference from your PDN work and the actual wood pieces. :P Your work is great to look at.

Many thanks again Helen ... I've had enough practice at the wood. :lol:

Sometimes it seems there's more layers in the 'pretend' wood than there are fibres in 'real' wood :wink:

My next piece is my 1st attempt at a SpaceScape ... so that turn out not very good .

BTW congratulations on your Galleria piece, the gecko image is more than worthy :!:

I wasn't sure if I was gonna post again, but I'm not going to let an idiot spoil what's fun and relaxing to me.

? some one was not nice to you? let me at him, I'll rip him from limb to limb..... :lol: OMA's lame wood/tree joke.

seriously don't leave because of a jerk, if you want to let me know who it is it will be taken care of. If not that's fine but just don't leave, you've provided us with some great creations.

and I love that wood pear and the cherries.

ciao

OMA

Your waterfall is beautiful as is the pear. Poor me, I have not had time for anything and I didn't even know oma had a pear tutorial but when I get time it is something I want to try. I hate it when life interferes with my pdn. Smiles!

Welshblue, I hope Oma's and Janettsue's encouraging words will make you stay here. You can't just leave; it's a PDN family here, you know. :) I hope you get featured in the galleria, too. :wink:

I'm still here :) I threw an epi' and I'm old enough to know better :?

The Galleria ? I think I've got a long way to go until I can produce anything that merits it.

But I'll have a lot of fun trying !!

My 1st spacescape WIP. I'm not sure which background to go with so any advice, preferences most greatfully received. As I really am a novice at anything 'spacey'

th_spaceone.png th_spacetwo.png

All PDN

Great new starscape, especially the starfield, it's brilliant... though the planets themselves could use a fair bit more shadow. But, again, great stuff.

I agree , the background starscape is superb. Like Survulus said , the planets could do with more shadow but the main thing is the surface of the planet/moon nearest is a little too smooth I think .Otherwise good effort. :wink:

Welshblue, I took some time to review your gallery and am very impressed. You have an eye for doing textures such as rock. Like everybody else said, don't let some idiot bloke try to discourage you. If they do, send them my regard.

Edit: Grammar.

@ Oma, Helen and Janettsue ... Thank You.

I’m pleased with Cherry Wood but most of the praise has to go to oma for the Pear Tutorial

@ Helen, GoonFella and Survulus ... I must admit I’m shocked; the background/ starfield is the thing I thought would get more criticism :D

Attempting a space-scape has made me appreciate how much work has gone into any Space images on the PDN Forums

@ petewolfbane and Storm.Shadow ... I’m happy(ish) with the attempted textures. You can make them both with PDN

Wood

Stone

Stage 2 in a WIP ... just one planet and one background choice :)

spacescene2.png

For a first spacescape, that is really flabbergasting <-- that word reminds me of flubber... Flubber aside, i have some suggestions to make. :P

• [*:25g5truo]Lighting needs work. Check out some photoshop tuts on how to do the shadow, its in PDN (think Gaussian blur). For the light, you'll have to do an inner glow + transparency gradient (if you don't know how to do this, there is a glass text tut on this forum that puts the basics down. you'll have to adapt it though, of course. Alpha mask really helps with the lighting.
    [*:25g5truo]The actual texture is ok... work at it it though. It takes practice creating a good planet texture, like Sozo's lol. :)
    [*:25g5truo]The texture shape, however, is not. Flat with lighting on it, to put it plainly. Use Lens to distort it. Lens affects the whole canvas, so with magic wand at 0% tolerance select a flattened texture. Cut and paste onto a new canvas, and run lens to your desired settings. Cut and paste back. You should get a more round looking planet. :wink:
    [*:25g5truo]The starfield and nebulae are great. Great colours and the starfield looks good too. I'd add some variation though, with some stars bigger than others.

Hope i helped, and once again, your first space WIP is really flabbergasting! (can't stop thinking about flubber :P )

Well, for your first space scene, it's not bad at all. My earliest attempts at space scenes were far more modest.

That said, I agree with LFC4EVER on a few things:

The lighting needs work, and while you're working on it, be sure to stay consistent (have all the lighting in the scene looking like it's coming from the same source).

For making the texture look more 3D, I use the Shape3D plugin. It seems to me to give the best result.

In the starfield, have a few larger and smaller starts for variety. Also, make at least some of the stars stand out more from the rest. It will liven up the image. Example:

f_examplem_483fd35.jpg

I prefer to use lens, S3D some how makes the texture lose its bumpiness for me. :?

Both work well though :D .

Sozo, the example you posted above, did you make that? Its awesome smudging/brushing. :shock:

Sozo, the example you posted above, did you make that? Its awesome smudging/brushing. :shock:

Yep, It's clouds, dents, and sharpening with some smudging thrown in there.

@ petewolfbane and Storm.Shadow ... I’m happy(ish) with the attempted textures. You can make them both with PDN

Wood

Stone

spacescene2.png

*checked out both tuts* I have to admit the stone concept is very realistic, but the wood isn't. I used to work in a door manufacturing plant, and whenever I see the wood pattern online, it looks like I'm back in the door factory. What I mean is, in nature, the wood texture isn't consistent with pattern unless machined heavily. However, it's often tough to duplicate nature in PDN, heck for PS for that matter.

I love your woodwork, pun intended, and hope you keep it up.

@ LFC' and Sozo ... many thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated. I'll swot up on a few ps tuts and have a play around when I've got some spare time next weekend.

@ Storm.Shadow ... for the wood I make 3/4 varying 'grain' effect layers and blend them in. Glow and Soften Portrait help to get warmer wood tones and for the knotty look I add a new layer, use clouds @ Scale: 800 Roughness: 25 (both those are subject to experimenting :) )

and then use the Height Map to Normal plug-in, usually I sepia it then play around until I get a look I'm happy with. (Lower alpha numbers on the cloud I haven't tried :idea: )

I've started to write a tut' but it's such a convuluted process at the moment I thought I'd give a quick summary.

Have a mess around 'cos it's all trial and error and beauty in the eye of the holder :lol:

Eg. Relief/ Emboss etc can give quite a nice really rough sawn look

I hope that helps ?

Shame on you Sozo, showing off in somebody else's gallery. ;) Just kidding. But yeah, I've only really made one proper space-scape so far and I have to say I totally messed up the starfield. I also sort of cheated onthe planets, seeing they were all so small they were much easier. But I'm going to attempt a better version sometime. Mine came out nowhere near as good as WelshBlue's

Shame on you Sozo, showing off in somebody else's gallery. ;)

:lol: Nah, it's cool. If people skip through fast enough they may think something that great is mine :wink: :D

I haven't had a chance to look at any tuts, just a quick half hour mess around. I know the planet still needs another '000 light years work ... but is it looking any better ?

spacescene2-1.png

(LFC' - the stars are from your Star/Sparkle tut ... so be nice :lol:)