welshblue

~ WelshBlue ~For EER~ 17/11/2019

The ones that I commented on the other board are superb! Stunning creations. Your latest one is so sleek and shiny. I love how you make simple things and turn them into larger artwork--like you really understand how to make a great art composition with patterns.

Your aptitude for the programme far surpasses my early efforts in the corresponding gallery opening times. 2 examples - The sword and your current sig. Then there's the cloning image ... no way I could have done that just a few months in. That also shows your natural artistic ability.

You're gonna make me blush, Welsh! I appreciate the compliments, though. Now, on to your new works!

What strikes me the most is the frequency with which you're able to churn out these extraordinary works! How do you do that so fast?

Information Highway is a fun piece. I like the sense of movement it gives, and (at the risk of outing myself as a sci fi geek) the orange star bursts remind me of photon torpedoes on Star Trek (I know, I'm a nerd. Can't be helped).

Odd One Out is very cool, too. I agree with BBQ, the gray torus do look a bit like agate. The composition is great as well. Not many people can make a pleasing composition out of a bunch of circles. The splash of color in the middle really sets it off. And let's not forget the background! It looks almost like a mass of metal pulleys in the background. Your use of light and shade is absolutely fantastic!

I know it probably seems like I don't offer enough in the way of critiques, but the truth is, I just can't find anything wrong with your work, Welsh.

Edited by RedBeard

Critique is not always about finding fault with an image but also what you like about it & what you find worked really well so the artist knows that it is a way of working, placement etc. that works & should be replicated in future similar works. This also serves to help newer ones know what they need to strive for in regards to aspects such as shadow, highlights, etc etc.

So not only does critique help an artist to know what is wrong but also what they got right & it helps other also. :lol:

True enough. Especially for those of us who only pretend to know what we're getting on about. :mrgreen: <-- like me.

Though in this case I'm torn on the focal point torus not working somehow. But I'm noticing a trend in my thinking over the last two days so I'm wondering what it will "feel" like in a few days time ...

To be fair I'm just not a fan of the near full spectrum. Though I did like the bleed of the color as the shadow for it. That helped set it up in an unusual way and set it up to float a bit more as the shadow is more diffuse than normal.

Shadows and light ... The scatter of the light shadows and the strong sense of discordian grouping helps add an organic feel to the hard symmetry. Recognizable shapes tend to throw people but once placed in some new fashion ... they lose focus from being the singular. Single diamond a white background or a clever arrangement scattered across a landscape. The same thousand glints, just the scale and blend.

Right, back to trying to figuring out how I did something without saving the history again ... (this is what happens when you're guessing at the outcome ...)

Right, back to trying to figuring out how I did something without saving the history again ... (this is what happens when you're guessing at the outcome ...)

You can save the history?

You can save the history?

Not exactly ... but you can save the steps without having to write them down or type them out more or less using captures. What I do is capture the history dialog window with Alt-PrintScrn and critical settings from various tools along the way if I find them key enough. I tend to paste these on a "blank" layer or layers below everything else. Usually just having the history to see how I arrived at an image can help me recall how to get near it again. I'm pretty sure WB wont mind me putting a passive link to an example here ... link to a history example that might help make sense of it: LINK

@ Helen, BarbieQ', Red B' and Del' ... many thanks for the visit plus taking the time to comment.

@ Del' ... funnily enough the original saved version had the coloured ring off centre - not really sure why I didn't upload that one :/

@ Red' ... sometimes something just clicks with a technique and in the space of a few minutes you've got something on the canvas you can expand on. Or just distort the hell out of to get something totally different

--------------------------------------------------

No Prejudices ... inspired by a conversation about religion and being accused of not being a good role model for my kids because I choose not to subscribe. My choice. As it theirs what route they choose. To believe or not to believe. I've taught them morals, manners, discipline and to work hard ... anything else is up to them

Somehow I feel a bit more christian than a certain Christian because I don't judge or push my views

If one day I'm proven wrong, I'm sure I'll know a lot of people where I'm headed ...

Ugly conversation material ... hrm, too many examples of less than favorable outcomes from letting faith being the only measure of a person.

I dont see it in the work. The perlin background I simply love though. I could read into I guess to get the confliction you must feel from someone throwing a verbal stone or two, but I think I'll just skip the background influences this time and simply enjoy the outcome.

My recent tribulations with my working life are embodied in an evil bunny boiler who has one foot in the camp of 2 opposing religions. I find this quite amusing. So Christmas & Hanukkah are both celebrated.

Love the work Welshy. The colours are just wonderfully soothing. The background reminds me of the underside of octopus tentacles (I love the look). The circles remind me that reality is a bit different for each of us but we can all live in harmony (the long smooth shape) & there are jewels among them being people who touch our lives for the better who may or may not be of the same faith as us. I've been badly let down by religion but I understand its power for good. Maybe too that is what the image says with its smooth & light vs dark & textured? Or the line undulating? Sometimes its good sometimes its not.

I love the way you did the blue gem...creepy though because the surround is very much like the one I have just finished. I'll post it up later tonight. I gotta go to work!

I can almost feel the cool (as in temperature), shiny texture in my hands. The awesomelingly-speckled background is gorgeous. Love that tiny gem. It seems to be twirling in such a cheerful atmosphere.

You are a true artist. i am totally flabbergasted. Not only because of the realisme in your work but also the compositions (especially your abstracts). i want posters off them so i can hang them on my walls. I love love love your work

"nO pRejudices", is awesome, mate, so clean and sharp, the background is gorgeous

Reduce the diffuseness of the metal around the the gem, I believe Curves works well too add some shines/chrome effect to it, that's just IMHO it is not compatible with the surrounding objects.

Wonderful colours and shapes. The texture on the jewel is superb, but I think the metalwork needs something to really match up to the rest of the image. It seems a bit dull (not the image,just the metal)but that is the only thing. I think the rest is great. Nice one Welshy . ;)

Ugly conversation material ... hrm, too many examples of less than favorable outcomes from letting faith being the only measure of a person. I dont see it in the work.

@ Del' ... Only ugly if someone in the conversation chooses to insist their thought is the only way ? Using pink is having an open mind for me and sometimes skipping the inspiration behind an image may be best ;)

Glad you enjoyed it mate.

@ BarbieQ' ... sometimes I think one of our birth certificates is false and in reality, we're twins. You've described my thoughts behind nO pRejudices almost to a 'T'. In fact. Better than I could.

Octopus tentacles ? Hmmm ... with Sargon's moon crater tut' that could be interesting ...

I hope it goes without saying how much it's always appreciated ...

@ Helen ... your work inspired me to go for a glo/<Family-friendly forum.> ...y look. As did your use of pink. I've been here nearly 4 years and you're my longest supporter with all of those images I've churned out. I feel totally honoured you like my work that much

@ RockandRoll ... many thanks for your kind words. Your first 3 images posted will blow me out of the water soon if you continue with PDN so it's even more appreciated ;)

@ Goon' and YM ...

Goon' ... I was hoping you'd score the 4th goal to make it equal on aggregate tonight. Take away van Persie and you could be in the relegation mix ?

Both ... I agree totally the metalwork doesn't marry up to the background ... my way of putting my mark ? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cactus ... Shape3D/ Point Warp and Ash's tapered line tut. White clouds ... brushes a la' Simon Brown and the possibilities. [1st

Crucifix ... playing around with my Textured Shapes tut' (1st rule is that you move things symmetrically ...

Fire & Brimstone ...

The desert is incredible. Made me thirsty, too. :) "Fire and Brimstone," well, I wouldn't ever want to end up there, but the image. The quality of it. The composition. The light. The lens flare. The cross the way it's just beaming with brilliance. Oh, I don't even know what to say. Impressive. All of it.

Welsh, I am absolutely in awe of Fire and Brimstone. What an awesome composition. I'm not really a fan of religious symbols in general, but I would definitely hang this one on my wall.

Wonders doesn't quite strike me with same impact, but I do like the overall composition. I like how the warm, organic, flowing image of the desert is contrasted with the cold, sterile, inorganic background. Nicely played, sir.

Edited by RedBeard

Fire & Brimstone is brilliant. For some reason it makes me hot & cold at the same time. The cross is like ice but the fire doesn't melt it. Then again it could be crystal. Whatever it is, I love it & agree with RedBeard totally. Religion leaves me cold - maybe that is why I read the image as I do. The atmosphere is just fantastic. What a fest for the eyes!

I agree about the birth certificate...hey does that mean I am actually 10 years younger??!! Way to go!

@ BarbieQ', Helen and RedB' ... thanks guys. Being a Humanist I'm as surprised as anyone that I made a cross. It sort of happened when I had a couple of files open. One playing with Kaleidoscope and a total fluke happened , t'other trying to finish a file I started a long time ago inspired by Goon' and Sozo. After tilting the background and using Alpha Displacement the cross was an after thought. I did toy around with using Liquify to 'melt' the cross ... but I didn't want to offend anyone so decided not to make that one public.

Plus I've got to hedge my bets ...

Thanks for taking the time. It means a lot from great artists like yourselves

Cactus ... October the 29th 2009 I started it. ASH's tapered line tut' offered the total thanks to finishing it. Plus Simon B's mini brushes for the clouds.

I think it was yesterday I read that forums can be boring. Not the case if you really want to understand how something ticks. Sooo much to learn there's always something to 'take in' ...

@ BarbieQ', Helen and RedB' ... thanks guys. Being a Humanist I'm as surprised as anyone that I made a cross. It sort of happened when I had a couple of files open. One playing with Kaleidoscope and a total fluke happened , t'other trying to finish a file I started a long time ago inspired by Goon' and Sozo. After tilting the background and using Alpha Displacement the cross was an after thought. I did toy around with using Liquify to 'melt' the cross ... but I didn't want to offend anyone so decided not to make that one public.

Plus I've got to hedge my bets ...

Thanks for taking the time. It means a lot from great artists like yourselves

Cactus ... October the 29th 2009 I started it. ASH's tapered line tut' offered the total thanks to finishing it. Plus Simon B's mini brushes for the clouds.

I think it was yesterday I read that forums can be boring. Not the case if you really want to understand how something ticks. Sooo much to learn there's always something to 'take in' ...

Read the boring part again just now. I think the poster was trying to say how much s/he missed NDM & it just kinda came out wrong. Plus, we all come here for different reasons. Guess that is how cliques form too. You know - great minds think alike & all that. :D

Well today wasn't any better but I'd better mention ... something.

Cross image. Good technical points, cant stand crucifix art. Nuff said on that.

Love the cactus. Made me homesick again. Nice capture, neat frame. Feels brushed not rendered. Reminds me of my grandmother's oil on canvas of various areas of the desert.

wow I have missed a lot of great pieces! I wish I had a bit more time too look and respond but I have 15 minutes internet left in the library... anyway, looks awesome!

Fire and Brimstone:What a strong piece.Whether you are into religion or not, it gives off an amazing energy.I think the framing of Cactus is awesome.

@ Del' .... had to chuckle @ the 'nuff said bit :lol:

Glad you liked the cactus image mate. It was one of those rare images that I was heavy on blurs with ... One of my dreams as a kid was to wonder amongst all the big cacti I saw on Westerns.

@ Aislin ... thanks for using some of your valuable internet time to pop in for a visit. Thanks for the kind words and I hope you're back with us before tooo long

@ YM ... thanks mate. Hope it's all going well for you ;)

@ Dug ... cheers mate. I'm happy that my trying to give a sense of 'energy' paid off. I must admit by the end I was more happy with the frame than the cactus :D

--------------------------------------------------------------

Alice ... Inspired by the timeless classic from the equally timeless Stevie Nicks and BarbieQ' Panel Tut'

To those who aren't familiar with the song ... listening to the lyrics makes sense of the image ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWfygAOdYkc

Edited by welshblue