welshblue

~ WelshBlue ~BarbieQ's Challenge~ 24/08/2019

Oh the boot from one of these is quite memorable. In Australia we call adjustable wrench a shifter among other things unmentionable on a family friendly forum. Yep, rounds off nicely. 

The rounding is not so noticeable. Great brand too. 

It is another fantastic image from you. The hint of Cross-processing is just perfect. A very polished piece. 

I challenge you to make the box it comes in 😀 After the fantastic job you did with the cigarettes, you would nail it. Easy. 

• Like 1

I know you've been trying to figure out how to do a spark plug for a while @welshblue! But somebody beat you to it and put a photo of one in your thread. It's a great picture isn't it? 🤔

• Like 3

Outstanding job on that spark plug Welsh! Fantastic details. It inspired me to make one in blender. I think your's looks better than mine though. I'm still trying to learn how to model.

bSVoenv.png

Edited by dipstick
added logo on plug
  • Like 5

Fantastic spark plug @welshblue!  <3  I have to echo the same sentiments as some above comments...looks like a photo!

You have really nailed down Shape3D and MJW's plugins to give really polished results on anything that you post.  Great work!  😁 :star:

• Like 1

Fantastic! I feel as if I can almost reach into my monitor and touch the Spark Plug😊

I aspire to become as proficient with Paint.Net as the many very talented Members on this Forum who produce the

most wonderful, artistic Images.

Kindest regards

Roger the Dodger 😊

• Like 1

I just had to pick my jaw up off the floor 😂 That is totally amazing.  So realistic and I, for one, would love a tutorial when you have the time ...... pretty please 😁

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 10:43 PM, barbieq25 said:

Oh the boot from one of these is quite memorable

I remember many moons ago when vehicles had the old type coil, the passenger seat of a works car was rigged to it ... nobody called shotgun in that car more than once 😣

Early type taser.  Thank you ... glad you liked it.  The challenge ... not resisting them has got me into a world of grief in the past ... but I should be pretty safe in accepting this one.

You're on.

@ReMake ... thanks mate.  Not quite photo'ish ... I'd take it back to the Auto Suppliers, I got lazy with the bottom of the thread

@TrevorOutlaw ... many thanks.  My brain felt like it was sparking trying to get some components right

On 8/22/2019 at 12:27 AM, Woodsy said:

But somebody beat you to it and put a photo of one in your thread.

Bloody spammers.  If the Mods delete it I've got 12 varying  files to choose from to replace it.  Thanks mate.  Something that seems easy in theory ... not always the case

On 8/22/2019 at 2:06 AM, dipstick said:

I'm still trying to learn how to model.

You're pretty much there IMO.  The terminal:ToolStripChecked:Insulator :ToolStripChecked:Shell/ Hexagon:ToolStripChecked:Thread :ToolStripChecked: Washer/ Gasket:ToolStripChecked:

I like it.  A bit of a lighting change  and I think you're firing on all cylinders ... your central electrode is better than mine.  I got bored and lazy

Thanks mate

@lynxster4 ... many thanks as always.  Something has just clicked with those plugins lately. I think I picked up some super blood donated for one of my transfusions 😊

@Roger the Dodger ... Thank you.  We've all started out as beginners.  Lots of tutorials and the inevitable mistakes, and paint.net becomes quite intuitive.  Also never be afraid to ask for help/ advice ... there's always someone here who knows

@Pixey ... as always ... big thanks.  Again.   A tutorial ...  I'll cobble something together n the next few days, no problem.  It may have to be a video one too to show various ways, and I did say I'd do something with MJW's plugins

@Seerose ... Again, as always - big thanks.  You don't need words, your support is more than enough

Thanks too to @Eli for the Rep' as to you's above

....jeez my arm is going to fall off

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, welshblue said:

A bit of a lighting change  and I think you're firing on all cylinders ... your central electrode is better than mine.  I got bored and lazy

Thanks mate

You're right, lighting is always a challenge. It's more art than science. Blender maybe hard to make an image, but once you've made it, you can manipulate it to whatever perspective you want. Check out this sexy under shot of the spark plug as an example. I can send you the .blend file if you're interested. It's pretty much a hack job, but I'm still learning....

E0pD2xU.jpg 

• Like 1

@dipstick ... I'd love to have a look at the file.  Your Blender work has made me want to finally get to grips with it, and have spent a lot of time today playing and getting used to the controls.  One question ... have you any idea when in either edge select or face select in Edit Mode, for some reason it doesn't capture the whole edge to be able to drag it with 'G' and 'X' keys to elongate it 🤔

blender-fail.jpg

Back onto Paint.net.

BarbieQ's Challenge ... tweaked the hex shell to not be so rounded (used this principle ) ... thanks Dipstick.  Added the boxes 

Barbie-Q-s-Challenge.png

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, welshblue said:

@lynxster4 ... many thanks as always.  Something has just clicked with those plugins lately. I think I picked up some super blood donated for one of my transfusions 😊

🤣

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lynxster4 said:

🤣

Got to laugh or else the other option is to curl up into a ball and ummm bawl  ( ...sod that ... takes me ages to get my eye make up just right ... ) 🤡

• Like 1

22 hours ago, welshblue said:

One question ... have you any idea when in either edge select or face select in Edit Mode, for some reason it doesn't capture the whole edge to be able to drag it with 'G' and 'X' keys to elongate it

Blender can only select what you can see, so while on "Solid" view mode, it will only select the front vertices. Switch to "Wire Frame" (aka X-ray) mode and you can then select front and back because you can see through the object.

P.S. I've always used NGK plugs on my motorcycles.

P.S. 2 I've been donating blood for over 30 years, hope you didn't get my blood. You think you're crazy now....🤣

Edited by dipstick

11 hours ago, dipstick said:

Switch to "Wire Frame" (aka X-ray) mode and you can then select front and back because you can see through the object.

Only took 3 hours to work it out 😊  Thanks.

6 hours ago, dipstick said:

if you don't mind...

Not at all.  In fact the files of any of my work is available upon request to everyone anytime

You've hit the same snag I've got - getting the texture and shading/ lighting right to make the hex head blend in correctly.  I thought I'd hit on the perfect solution -  give it a rotated hex ... but then I realised the electrode would be wrong at the base. 

Ps.  Thanks for the Blender file, very interesting ... as for the blood - I'm crazy enough without adding a bike drag racing maniac into the mix😉

wrong-electrode.png

Preparation is always key.  As is forward thinking.  Glossy is all well and good but everything has to marry up to make it work ... will have to be content with almost, very nearly  <rambling to myself smiley>

Thanks for the rep' , same as thanks to @lynxster4 @ReMake @MJW

Edited by welshblue

Oh wow! What an amazing image. Not only did you do a box but 3 of them & the clear cap as well as the NGK in the background. Plus, working with a new program & working with another PDNer. This just makes me so happy.

You have far exceeded my expectations with this! What awesome work!  :star::star::star::star::star::star: 

• Like 1

Wowzers!  Your work has definitely taken on a very professional look to these images.  Well done :star:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, barbieq25 said:

You have far exceeded my expectations with this! What awesome work!

😳  Thanks Birthday Girl  😳 

TBH the biggest challenge with boxes is the positioning of objects so that they render in the right places, plus trying to allow for colour change.

On my flat template they're the exact NGK colours .. they didn't transfer properly in S3D .  The mustard yellow not so bad but the orange red stripe is yucky.  Then it was just a case of different rotation, lighting settings for each box.  Glad you liked it and it's one dare I didn't get arrested for 🚔 

I thought the plastic sleeve would be a nice touch

Not so sure about learning a new programme ... after 2 days I can add shapes, manipulate them and add a texture - only about a few hundred controls to learn about ... or so it seems.  I don't think I'll be leaving PDN 😉 Joking aside I really do think it's in my blood

@Pixey ... many thanks as per always.  I dug out an old image of a spark plug, and it's scarey to think that yourself and BarbieQ were commenting way back then.

So thanks for being such loyal visitors

Thanks both for the reps'

This is  Paint. net 3.36 v 4.2.1 ... I'm not so sure how much difference a day really makes, 24 lil' hours ... but 10 years certainly makes a big difference

first-plug.png

@Roger the Dodger ... thanks.    

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Not so sure about learning a new programme ... after 2 days I can add shapes, manipulate them and add a texture - only about a few hundred controls to learn about ... or so it seems. 

Blender is hard for sure. To date I've only modeled 3 objects. A coffee cup, light bulb and a spark plug. I actually just started modeling for the first time last week. I still have a lot to learn, but I think I'm improving.

9BZroGI.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dipstick said:

but I think I'm improving.

Much better colouring/ lighting on that plug.  Really nice sheen to it. The bulb,  the filament and it's corresponding parts are brilliant.  I like all 3, they look great

Ohhh I could murder a proper coffee - decaf is on the same level as non-alcoholic lager ... pointless unless you've shares in the company

I've started doing a hammer tutorial that shows a lot of the steps I want to learn ... and then I want to see how close I get to the same look in Paint.net.

Should be interesting

• Like 1

I went and checked out blender's website, it is an amazing modelling software kit for sure. But the System Requirements were very high (8 Gig RAM - 16 Gig Recommended)

looks like I will have to install more RAM.

Kindest regards

Roger the Dodger🤡

7 hours ago, welshblue said:

I've started doing a hammer tutorial

Are you doing this hammer tutorial?

xqsZPyH.png

I just finished this ball peen hammer using a tutorial.

• Like 1

That's the one.  After modelling the head I sort of went my own way ... will start it again and stick to the xyz axis etc in the tutorial

blender-hammer.png

------------------------------------------------------------

I think we should stop posting Blender images and take it to PM for further discussion/ images etc .... we may find it interesting but possibly PDN users don't 😉

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, welshblue said:

@RobCooke ... thank you very much for your kind words, but unfortunately due to personal reasons I'm not taking on any work for now or the near future.

Apologies for not replying sooner

That is a shame @welshblue

Maybe you would be interested in joining our forum and Facebook membership.  Your work would have a large exposure, you would also be the first Paint.net artist invited.

I know the other users would enjoy your work as much as myself and my associate have.  No doubt it would garner more respect - by this I mean an example above; the hack of your excellently made spark plug and boxes, it's liked by someone who didn't like the original ? Totally disrespectful.   Another example is your very clever screw tutorial.  An Administrator who should be encouraging more tutorials like that in a raster image editor to improve the experience,  likes a spin off image made from your work, but not the tutorial that allowed it to happen.  Strange indeed.  

If you are interested in joining us, the same email address I sent you applies

Rob

2 hours ago, RobCooke said:

If you are interested in joining us, the same email address I sent you applies

I can't see that happening.  I don't really go in for elitism - snobbery ... it's not my way.  It's why I prefer a small friendly board like this one.

My work is for me ... I push myself to try and achieve new boundaries - for me.  If others like it - OK ... but primarily it's about ME.

If my tutorials can help others approach things differently in paint.net to achieve something - Good.  Paying things forward.  More of us should do it in life.

As for the work you're offering - as I said ... not interested as I do alright by myself..  A 30% share of gross profits of a T-shirt design that hit 1500 sales a few weeks ago - I bet you couldn't match that.  

I'm not really sure what your point was about respect - I looked at those you pointed out ... Maybe @Roger the Dodger preferred Dipstick's version ... he's allowed to ... I will admit it does seem a bit rude in my own gallery, but jeez, in the grand scheme of things going on in this world ... I won't lose any sleep over it.  Not as if he came into my house and urinated on my carpet.  Then it would be different.   As for @Ego Eram Reputo liking an image in my tutorial but not the tutorial itself - his choice, his prerogative as to what he sees as  'cutting edge'.  People can only like what they like and be able to not like what they don't and if we start questioning the why's or why not's of giving Rep' points ... well it's pointless having them.

To be honest I've had enough of troublemakers and stirrers in 'real life' and don't need it online.  Whilst you're more than welcome to comment on my work, only if there's no negativity about others  in there ... I'd rather lose the comment and get on with what I enjoy doing ... making art.  No matter how loosely that is in context.  But more importantly - being amongst friends 

Simples