How to Install Plugins ×

Basic Photo Adjustments v2.0 (2010-07-22)

Tanel

This plugin is my favorite :)

It brings the best color and tone enhancement tools into a simple intuitive package. Just few clicks to make an image "pop".

Find it as Effects > Photo > Basic Adjustments.

Download as part of my plugin pack.

bpa-ss.png

Current feature highlights (v2.0)

* Easy white balance correction, automatic (based on selected gray target) or manual

* Color-preserving brightness and tone/contrast curve adjustments - keeping hue and saturation intact

>This is now different from built-in levels or curves, where any adjustment shifts hue or saturation.

* Two saturation modes: normal or HSV

>HSV mode is the same that you see in the Colors window. Different from "normal" mode, it always preserves hue and value but tends to change preceived brightness (increasing saturation turns darker and vice versa). You may like it for landscape photos. (Warning: this mode may also make noise more apparent).

* High-precision processing pipeline - producing smooth result

>When applying "usual" adjustments in a sequence, Paint.net truncates color values after each operation (for example red channel value 128 that would end up as 144.5 after levels, will be returned as 144). This adds up when using several effects and may result in visible loss of quality.

Controls

- Color Balance

is very effective to fix white balance. It is same as using levels for R, G and B channels separately - but far easier.

You can make it work automatically if you use color picker before opening the plugin - to point a color in the image that *should be* neutral gray. Then open the plugin and check "Enable" and "Color as Gray Target"; white balance is fixed instantly. If "Color as Gray Target" is unchecked, color is adjusted towards the same hue as color wheel. If checked, then it works opposite way trying to turn the selected color neutral gray.

Check "Keep Highlights Neutral" if bright highlights get too much color cast due to color correction.

- Brightness

sets the brightness of an image. higher number makes brighter, lower makes darker. It can be called "exposure" in terms of photography.

- Black Level

sets the black point of an image. higher number makes black darker, lower makes brighter.

- Tone (Dark / Bright)

applies "brightness curve", making image look darker or brighter. No shadows or highlights are clipped. No color shifts.

- Contrast

applies "s-curve", enhancing contrast of middle tones. No shadows or highlights are clipped. No color shifts.

- Saturation

enhances color intensity. Same as built-in saturation adjustment.

Check "HSV Saturation" to try different saturation effect

- Review

switches to original image in order to check changes

Here is example of tone and contrast curves, as they would look in the Curves dialog.

bpa-curves.png

Changelog:

Updated to version 2.0 (2010-07-20)!

Changes:

* Improved highlight handling at extreme adjustments (brightness, tone, contrast): hue is preserved up to maximum possible brightness (unlike Levels which returns distorted color as soon as brightest channel clips to value 255).

* Slight improvement to black level handling

* Added option "HSV Saturation": this switches saturation adjustment to HSV mode. Result is a little different than usual Saturation.

Updated to version 1.5 (2009-07-08)!

Changes:

* Switched the color handling of Black Level, Tone and Contrast adjustments from RGB-based to brightness-based model. It means that now those adjustments only affect brightness (value) of original colors, while leaving hue and saturation intact. This way the result looks better in most cases, as there is no color shifts that usually occur with regular Levels or Curves.

* Added the Review check box to switch between original and modified image for comparison.

Updated to version 1.1 (2008-12-24)!

Changes: few UI and code optimizations.

Enjoy! B)

Downloaded plugin, tested on Vista Sample Pic.

Results:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Its amazing, i love how you can just use the black level slider and make images seem more like night and vice versa. This plugin is great for photo-manips and i'm sure everyone will be using it more often and often. You even made it work with colours that are Alpha < 255. Great job Tanel!

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Awesome plugin Tanel, just 2 things, could you rename it to Basic Color adjustments, and move it to the adjustments menu?

I think the current name is just fine. However, I do agree that it should be moved to the adjustments menus.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I chose Photo submenu because I assumed those functions to be useful for photos only. But as you proved me wrong, I will consider moving it.

I will crop the Adjustments menu soon anyway ("Shadow/Highlight" will be moved into Photo submenu and "Color to Alpha" into Color).

I spent the weekend tweaking photos with this plugin, and I just love it :!:

@Tanel: Put it in the menu of your choice, but please, please don't rename it. The name tells me everything I need to know.

Thanks! this could be pretty useful. However, I think you should move it to the adjustments folder. It is basic photo adjustments after all.

Keep up the good work!

linkzsigew9.png

´

I'm still kind of new to paint.net, so i probably

stink at painting from your point of view. If you tell me that I stink, you'll

be 10 seconds away from turning into a pile of meat. MOHAHAHAHA!!!im not crazy

very nice plugin! :mrgreen: ( tested on my dog )

but like link-z says it should be much better if it was in the Adjustements menu

FireejiZer.png

Simplicity ftw!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...