All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Could you start paint.net (don't use the selection tools) and go to Settings -> Diagnostics -> Copy to clipboard and paste the text here. Also click Open crash log folder and see whether there are any pdncrash.n.log files. These are text files and the content can be emailed to the address shown on the first line of the file. Your wording suggests that paint.net used to work correctly on your system. Do you have any idea what changed just prior to the problem starting? You may have malware on your PC. See Trojan.KeyLogger.43099 https://vms.drweb.com/virus/?i=23537722 I'd suggest doing a full scan using Defender (part of Windows) and/or installing a scanner such as Malwarebytes and seeing what that reports.
  4. Hello paint.net Community, I'm reaching out for assistance regarding a persistent issue I'm encountering with paint.net on my Windows 11 Home x64 laptop. Whenever I use the selection tools (Rectangular or Lasso), the application crashes without displaying any error messages. I've performed a pdnrepair but the problem is still there. I checked the Windows Event Viewer for details, which revealed the following error: System Specifications: - Operating System: Windows 11 Home x64 (10.0.22631.0) - CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1195G7 - Graphics Card: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics - .NET Version: 7.0.16 x64 - Paint.NET Version: 5.13.8830.42291 The crash occurs consistently whenever I use the Rectangular or Lasso selection tools. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or solutions to resolve this issue. If anyone has encountered a similar problem or has suggestions for troubleshooting, please let me know. Your help would be invaluable in getting paint.net back to full functionality. Thank you in advance for your assistance! Best regards, Riccardo
  5. This will happen if you manually change the file extension in the Save dialog, without actually choosing the format from the dropdown.
  6. Yesterday
  7. @midora Thank you so, so much, even 9 years later this really helped me!! It's like the most perfect, specific-to-what-I-needed tool/plugin! Especially since there is a glitch in paint.net, I tried to save a photo as a png, but I think it saved as a png with a .pdn file extension. I really thought I would have to make the whole file over again !!🥹 You're a genius, thank you for the work you do!!!
  8. I can't reproduce that. I've just tried the Simulate Color Depth plugin with a range of Bit Depths, with and without Dither checked, and using Dither Methods of Floyd-Steinberg and Bayer Ordered 8x8. It works OK on paint.net 5.0.13. However if I select the Stucki dither method, the rendering gets stuck part way through (it never completes). If I then try to select a different dither method, the plugin crashes with: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array. [EDIT: I've just noticed that @Ego Eram Reputo mentioned the Stucki crash already] Full error log:
  9. The "Simulate Color Depth" plugin would always crash no matter what dither settings that I want.
  10. Last week
  11. Or maybe "Editing Window", which is the terminology used in the Docs: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MainWindow.html#7
  12. What I do when I want accurate cropping of a scanned photo that might be misaligned by a few pixels is to quickly check each of the 4 corners and adjust the selection as necessary. Here's the sequence I follow: 1. Press M M to activate the Move Selection tool 2. Press Ctrl+A to Select All 3. Press Ctrl+B to Zoom to Window 4. Move the mouse pointer to the top left corner of the photo. 5. Ctrl+Mouse Wheel or hold down Ctrl++ to quickly Zoom In on the corner. 6. Position the mouse pointer over the selection edge (the pointer changes to a hand) and adjust the selection by a couple of pixels to exclude the misalignment. 7. Press Ctrl+B to Zoom to Window Repeat steps 4-7 for the top right / bottom left / bottom right corners, then press Ctrl+Shift+X to Crop to Selection Note that at step 6, it is not necessary to grab the circular selection 'nub'; you can adjust the selection by grabbing anywhere along its edge. The above may seem like a lot of steps but it's actually really fast once you get into the swing of it.
  13. (The term you're looking for is "canvas") This isn't currently possible but is something I'm considering for the upcoming 5.1 release. Maybe not the color but at least the brightness.
  14. Here's the portion of the window I'm referring to: When cropping scanned images, one frequent issue is that the image is just ever-so-slightly misaligned. These flaws leap out at a glance when using image viewers with a dark background: It would be really great if PDN allowed me to change the "desktop" color. The capability is clearly there, as the color changes when switching to "dark mode". However, dark mode hurts my eyes to work with, so it's not really a solution. I would love some way of changing this color by itself.
  15. You wouldn't. That kinda of defeats the purpose. If you need images at the original resolution, you'll need to redraw your sprites, with the adjusted rotation in mind from the start.
  16. and how do i rescale it back to the original resolution?
  17. Did you ever hear about the HD transformations of Super Nintendo's Mode 7 graphics? https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/04/hd-emulation-mod-makes-mode-7-snes-games-look-like-new/ You'll probably need to do something similar. In essence, increase the resolution and then do the transformation afterwards.
  18. Is there a way to rotate pixel art without the process messing up the image? Any plugins that don't do this? If the answer cannot be found here, what pixel art/sprite making programs would you recommend that has better sprite rotation?
  19. There are also these effects: https://paintdotnet.github.io/apidocs/api/PaintDotNet.Direct2D1.Effects.html The effects you can chain together are Direct2D effects. You can write a Paint.NET effect (yes the term "effect" is overloaded) that chains them together, but you can't combine Paint.NET effects like that. But that shouldn't matter because all of the bulit-in Paint.NET effects are essentially UI wrappers for the Direct2D effects. The effects whose names begin with "Pdn" are the Direct2D effects that power the built-in Paint.NET effects that you see in the app menus.
  20. You can use Environment.GetSourceBitmapBgra32(), which will give you an IEffectInputBitmap<ColorBgra32>. Then call Lock() to get the IBitmapLock<ColorBgra32>(). Then use AsRegionPtr() to get it as a RegionPtr<ColorBgra32> which you can just index into, e.g. region[x, y]. Then just compare region[x, y].A == 255 to determine if it's opaque. Note that this works fine for querying the alpha channel, as the alpha channel is invariant with respect to color space (sRGB vs. linear scRGB vs. whatever other color profile they might have on the image!). If you want to query the RGB values, they won't line up with the color space you're using in the GPU effect, and it'll take some extra work to determine the right thing to do. So that's a topic for another time.
  21. Some progress....... // Name: Box Outlining GPU // Submenu: test // Author: // Title: // Version: // Desc: // Keywords: // URL: // Help: // For help writing a GPU Drawing plugin: https://boltbait.com/pdn/CodeLab/help/tutorial/drawing/ #region UICode IntSliderControl Amount2 = 35; // [15,100] Size IntSliderControl Amount3 = 9; // [2,25] Spacing #endregion protected override unsafe void OnDraw(IDeviceContext deviceContext) { deviceContext.DrawImage(Environment.SourceImage); // preserve background // find out where our selection is located RectInt32 selection = Environment.Selection.RenderBounds; // variables int boxSize = Amount2/2; int Spacing = Amount3+1; int doubleSpacing = Amount3*2; int thickness = 2; int rndHeight, rndWidth; int step = boxSize*7/10; // define your brush and stroke style ISolidColorBrush fillBrush = deviceContext.CreateSolidColorBrush(LinearColors.LightGray); ISolidColorBrush outlineBrush = deviceContext.CreateSolidColorBrush(LinearColors.Black); IStrokeStyle boxStrokeStyle = deviceContext.Factory.CreateStrokeStyle(StrokeStyleProperties.Default); // setup drawing mode deviceContext.AntialiasMode = AntialiasMode.Aliased; // or .PerPrimitive Random rnd = new Random(); for (int y = selection.Top; y < selection.Bottom; y += step) { for (int x = selection.Left; x < selection.Right; x += step) { //if source pixel is opaque ) rndWidth = rnd.Next(Spacing, doubleSpacing); rndHeight = rnd.Next(Spacing, doubleSpacing); deviceContext.FillRectangle(x-rndWidth, y-rndHeight, boxSize, boxSize, fillBrush); deviceContext.DrawRectangle(x-rndWidth, y-rndHeight, boxSize, boxSize, outlineBrush, thickness, boxStrokeStyle); } } } I haven't figured out how to poll the source pixel yet, so I'm just filling selections at the moment. Still, I think looks great!
  22. Seen the latest API documentation? https://paintdotnet.github.io/apidocs/api/index.html There are a great many effects you can access and chain together. For example, see https://paintdotnet.github.io/apidocs/api/PaintDotNet.Effects.Gpu.html
  23. Effects written with codelab can call built-in effects such as Gaussian blur, however I think what you want is something like Scriptlab, unfortunately that is obsolete.🙁
  24. Hi. Do CodeLab support call of another plugins with setting settings? I want to call few plugins in a row. And repeat it for few images with the same plugins settings
  25. As mentioned in the other thread, you will find it under Effects > Objects. Not in Adjustments. Or, perhaps you are looking for this one:
  26. I just downloaded 5.0.13 and I see where Black and White Alpha is not listed on the Adjustments tab. I used that frequently with line drawings. Is there an app to add or any work around available? TIA
  27. I always have Windows Ink checked on both paint.net and the tablet driver yet pressure sensitivity doesn't happen. It works on other apps, I tried it on Krita and it works fine though I dont get why Paint.net isn't working correctly
  28. In paint.net, do you have Settings -> Pen & Tablet -> Windows Ink checked? Do you see laggy drawing when using the pen in other apps?
  29. When I use my drawing pen before, it worked fine with nice pressure sensitivity, however after I updated my computer the pressure sensitivity stopped working when I drew with my Inspiroy 640p tablet. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and restarted my computer more times than I could could and the pressure sensitivity still would not come back. Even if I draw with this problem going on, Paint.net violently lags at times. I always have Windows Ink and Pressure Sensitivity Settings on.
  1. Load more activity