How to Install Plugins ×

Alias Plugin (Feather's New Best Friend!)

Mike Ryan

Alias_Logo.png

What is Alias?

Alias is a simple plugin that appears in your Object submenu. It is designed to destroy antialiasing before running the amazing plugin, Feather. To use, simply run the effect. Adjust the strength accordingly!

User Interface

Alias_Preview.png

Alias.zip

• Thanks 1
signature.png

The effect can also be partially accomplished using Outline Object, as pointed out by David. But like you said: this plugin is meant to get the job done, and it does just that.

signature.png

Not to rain on your parade, but this effect can easily be done with Curves+...

Also, depending on the curve you can eliminate multiple portions of the transparent area at once AND even keep the anti-aliasing if you want...

file.php?id=2252&mode=view

1624_c6112094683a196127f67e66845f376f

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Yes, you can sit there and fiddle with Curves+ just like how Outline Object can disintegrate aliasing and Transparency. But this does it without problems or 'fiddling'.

signature.png

I have a suggestion: If feather is installed a checkbox is also visible on the dialog box which, when checked, runs feather along with this effect.

Just my 20 pence.

KaHuc.png

My plugin is limited to Code Lab so I would have no reasonable way of checking for Feather, yet I can always create a check box to run Feather on default settings. Perhaps BoltBait should include the functionality of my plugin in his plugin?

Other than that, any other feature suggestions?

signature.png

Love it. I've always needed something like this. There's not much more dismaying then running the feather plugin over AA.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

Not to rain on your parade, but this effect can easily be done with Curves+...

You can also do this with my Transparency Adjustment plugin... But, this seems more convenient since it is in the same menu.

Yeah.

You know, you can kinda do the same thing with the Transparency plugin.

But your's is more flexible and made for this task.

Good job, thanks.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is also very useful for Basic Antialias (my antialiasing effect of choice, no offense BoltBait), because it doesn't work with any transparent pixels at the edges. Thanks Mike.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

Actually, Xpired, that is the exact reason I made this plugin: basic antialias. Although, I do use Feather a lot for growing and shrinking things and this plugin helps too. Just depends on the flavor of your antialiasing tool of choice ;)

signature.png

• 1 month later...

I am a Japanese PDN Plugin tester. (This is a joke)

this is my opinion, how about the initial value for 255?

There is the case that need alias such as the MS Paint.

The beginner cannot manage a curve.

Kids seem not to be able to use the select tool well, too.

please watch my video.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=M76aOWZfHQc

I think that this is very good plugin.

(Translation = YAHOO text translation+my poor English)

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded Alias & have tried to use it to smooth the rougher edges of my image but it isn't doing anything. ??? Am I supposed to add a new layer or what?

Thanks,

It operates on groups of pixels (objects) with an edge that borders a transparent area. The Object needs to be on a layer which is otherwise transparent.

BTW: Alias does not smooth  edges. Quite the opposite. It removes smoothing (antialiasing) so you can reapply it with another plugin (like Feather).

Think of it like this: you have a circle on a transparent layer. If you blur the circle, it will get a fuzzy edge. Alias removes this fuzzyness restoring (almost) the original pixelated edge.